My assessment of "Spent the day in bed"

I agree to an extent. He used to sing for the common person, but somewhere along the lines he lost the ability to relate, so when he tries to sing of common people and common problems, it's almost in a time capsule sort of way. It's like how I imagine it is for a prisoner who goes away for a long stretch and gets out only to find that the world they took part in no longer exists.

I think the "common person" can entirely relate to wanting to spend the day in bed. I would say that's pretty universal. I think it's actually his most relatable sentiment in a lead single for years.

Just on your point above, "somewhere along the lines he lost the ability to relate", money changes everything. It enabled Morrissey to retreat back into the world of self. I've often thought you get your ideas out in your first couple of albums. After that, you've got to make the effort, but after the first couple of studio albums for The Smiths, the money was rolling in, and he could be his own boss. And do his own thing. In his own way.
Is it the money though? Because I don't have much of it, and I have found myself withdrawing more from the world. It may just be getting older and more set in your ways. I think he was still pretty hungry for it most of the way through the 90's, as he had a point to prove that he could do it on his own, but he definitely seemed to get too comfortable around Southpaw.

The trap lies in being poisoned by your own nostalgia. Every modern generation has experienced massive world change within their lifetimes, so it's only natural to look at the world through the eyes of your childhood years, and feel a pang or two, but it's very dangerous to get sucked into that, exactly because the memories are colored by the world of a child.

I think the "common person" can entirely relate to wanting to spend the day in bed. I would say that's pretty universal. I think it's actually his most relatable sentiment in a lead single for years.
But does the song not come from a place of extreme privilege? Many common people lose a day of work and there goes a week's groceries. Yes, it's a relatable sentiment, but out of touch all at the same time.

Well a lot of people are claiming that they relate to the song both the part about the news and the part about work. At least from comments written. I think most people can relate to the idea that a lot of people's work, and bosses and commutes, can feel demeaning unhealthy and depleting, and that a day in bed is nice and desired. I think in general the song is more about taking a day off from modern life in general which has intensified to hysterical proportions these days. Sure a very poor struggling poor person might only be able to relate in theory to his advice but they will relate to the badmouthing of the cause of there misery which he describes well here

But does the song not come from a place of extreme privilege? Many common people lose a day of work and there goes a week's groceries. Yes, it's a relatable sentiment, but out of touch all at the same time.

Not extreme privelege. Many people phone in sick to work every now and again, for example, and spend the day in bed. Shoplifters of the World Unite was a relatable sentiment that was never going to happen. Likewise Panic and Hang the DJ. So he must have been out of touch even then.

Not extreme privelege. Many people phone in sick to work every now and again, for example, and spend the day in bed. Shoplifters of the World Unite was a relatable sentiment that was never going to happen. Likewise Panic and Hang the DJ. So he must have been out of touch even then.
I guess I don't need to be told to take it easy from someone who has a personal french-fry salter. :lbf:

Morrissey draws inspiration from everyday life, his life in particular. You can't blame the man because he hasn't changed his life or his concerns over the years. He maybe returns on some subjects but overall i think that his songs add something new, even small. He draws inspiration from everyday issues and that's why he continues to has appeal to me. Because his lyrics are not generic, drifted words put in a song only to fill the gap.

The lyrics speak of a man who doesn't know how much a 2-litre carton of semi-skimmed milk costs. Removed from the world we all live in, living a Howard Hughes existence, having others do his bidding, and chiding those who don't reflect his isolationist, yes-men weltanschauung, which has been the same since 1987. He doesn't understand why everyone isn't right, like he is.

You know, you could have just used the English express "view of the world" instead of "Weltanschauung".
You claim to be anti-racist, but it is sickening how you and others always use German words when you want to express something in a negative way. It is pretty offensive actually. VERY OFFENSIVE and it DOES make you look like a RACIST, which indeed you are evidenced to be numerous times, because you do not only use German word to express negative connotations, you also have treated more than one German very negatively on this forum. I personally find the claim that you are anti-racist ridiculous. Who do you think you are fooling? RACIST PIG!

Familiar ground for Morrissey. The lyrics are like a patchwork quilt made from ideas of his prior songs. Examples: (WORK)"I was looking for a job and then I found a job" from 'Heaven knows I'm miserable now'...(WORK)"No, I've never had a job because I've never wanted one" from 'You've got everything now'...(WATCHING THE NEWS)"But last night the plans of a future war was all I saw on channel four" from "Shoplifters of the world unite"...(SPENT THE DAY IN BED)"You want to turn it on it's head by staying in bed" from 'He knows I'd love to see him'...(RAIN)"The rain falls hard on a humdrum town" from 'William, it was really nothing'...(BUS)"And if a double decker bus crashes into us" from 'There is a light that never goes out'...(BOSS)"Frankly, Mr. Shankly this position I've held it pays may way and it corrodes my soul" from 'Frankly, Mr. Shankly'...(TRAIN)"Train, heave on to Euston" from 'London"...(TO ALL OF MY FRIENDS)"Tell all of my friends" from 'Now my heart is full'...(SHEETS FOR WHICH I PAID)"I turn the music down and I don't know why, this is my house" from 'Best friend on the payroll'...(I'M NOT MY TYPE)"Me without clothes? Well, a nation turns it's back and gags" from 'Late night, Maudlin Street'... (CASTRATION)"Nobody talks about castration" from 'The queen is dead'... (NO HIGHWAY)"The lanes were silent" from 'I started something I couldn't finish'... (BE GOOD TO YOURSELF)"Do your best and don't worry" from DYBADW. Overall, the lyrics to this new song feel somewhat insipid and as illustrated not new to his cannon idea wise. But as usual, compared to rest of the garbage the music world creates nowadays, this is a masterpiece. But really it's just a throwaway song not nearly as good as any of the aforementioned.

"Morrissey by numbers" was my thought when I listened to the song. I out of it all anyway, but as always, I find it interesting how the whole marketing machinery is on "Years of Refusal" repeat as well. So I am having more than one "aleady seen and heard it" moment here. But then again I am not a person who needs to be told the obvious in lyrics by musicians, which is quite frankly why I stopped listening to the music except whent it's in the supermarket or so... There are obviously others who have to be spoon fed everything and hey, if it makes the happy and they think Morrissey is a genius for spoon feeding them everything, so be it...

Morrissey draws inspiration from everyday life, his life in particular. You can't blame the man because he hasn't changed his life or his concerns over the years. He maybe returns on some subjects but overall i think that his songs add something new, even small. He draws inspiration from everyday issues and that's why he continues to has appeal to me. Because his lyrics are not generic, drifted words put in a song only to fill the gap.

How is that different from the approach of you or I?

He's telling you anyway, personal french-fry salter or not. :D
Even if he's so far away from reality and living in his bulb of richness and fame, as so many assume, the lyrics and the feel of the song seems to hit the right spot. If you think about that it becomes even more an accomplishment.

I don't see why this song is so much worse, compared to the others, or you must have the opinion they were all shit too. Which begs the question why you still do care.
If the money or the personal french-fry salter is the reason for you, and others to dislike his music, it's gonna be a tough one to ever like any music of any other artist too, cause how do you know when hearing that music, it wasn't from some spoilt wealthy guy with a personal french-fry salter?
I think it is all secondary to the music.
You like it, or you don't, innit? :thumb:

I guess what bothers me is not so much the recycling of ideas - I think every lyricist does that to a degree - but the fact that the lyrics don’t seem to evolve, quite the opposite. Where’s the wit, the irony, the sophistication that we all loved? It’s all gone from such clever and intricate use of language to this banal sloganeering - World peace is none of your business! Stop watching the news!

I guess what bothers me is not so much the recycling of ideas - I think every lyricist does that to a degree - but the fact that the lyrics don’t seem to evolve, quite the opposite. Where’s the wit, the irony, the sophistication that we all loved? It’s all gone from such clever and intricate use of language to this banal sloganeering - World peace is none of your business! Stop watching the news!

I'm a pretty harsh critic of modern day Steven Patrick but I find these lyrics surprisingly good. There's pathos, humour (I'm not my type) and a simple relatable sentiment - the news is contrived to frighten you. It makes you feel your mind is not your own. Brilliant stuff. Not far off 'all the music they constantly play...' for relatability. And a lovely unusual backing track. It's obviously not up there with prime time Smiths but it's a heck of a lot closer than most of us thought possible at this stage of the game. Go Moz!

I'm a pretty harsh critic of modern day Steven Patrick but I find these lyrics surprisingly good. There's pathos, humour (I'm not my type) and a simple relatable sentiment - the news is contrived to frighten you. It makes you feel your mind is not your own. Brilliant stuff. Not far off 'all the music they constantly play...' for relatability. And a lovely unusual backing track. It's obviously not up there with prime time Smiths but it's a heck of a lot closer than most of us thought possible at this stage of the game. Go Moz!

I do like the humour in the line "I’m not my type", and I already said that in another post.

"Stop watching the news, cause the news contrives to frighten you" is not a relatable sentiment, to me it isn’t. I don't agree, it’s quite explicit, there is no finesse, there’s no room for interpretation, and he drives home his point with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

Sorry, but I really see no difference between this and, say, “This type of modern life isn’t for me, this type of modern life isn’t for free … I do yoga and pilates, and the room is full of hotties, and I’m checking out their bodies, and you know I’m satisfied…” (American Life, Madonna) One could easily say all the same positive things that have been said about Spent the Day in Bed, namely the lyrics brilliantly capture the zeitgeist, are critical of the state of the world, are relatable, are about self-care, are humorous...

You know, you could have just used the English express "view of the world" instead of "Weltanschauung".
You claim to be anti-racist, but it is sickening how you and others always use German words when you want to express something in a negative way. It is pretty offensive actually. VERY OFFENSIVE and it DOES make you look like a RACIST, which indeed you are evidenced to be numerous times, because you do not only use German word to express negative connotations, you also have treated more than one German very negatively on this forum. I personally find the claim that you are anti-racist ridiculous. Who do you think you are fooling? RACIST PIG!

I'm with you, and I demand justice for the poor, downtrodden German volk. Sorry ... people.

Mind you, I don't suppose that Germans are very likely to be invaded, murdered, repressed, enslaved, exterminated or otherwise disadvantaged just because some bloke on an Internet message board wrote the word, "weltanschauung". I could be wrong.

(Ps. Xenophobia and racism aren't the same thing.)

It's a really hard question. Obviously no artist can ever produce something as fresh and new and interesting as when he was in his prime. It'd be foolish to expect.

Still, I agree with the original poster: Morrissey already said what he sings about it in "Spent", only much better. It's like if you look at Picasso, and imagine him trying to recapture again the horror and pain of Guernica in another 74 paintings. In 100 years' time no one will be curious his 28th version of Guernica, they will want to see the real thing, the essence, the best. So in, say, 2091 no one will care much about this song, they rather put on Vauxhall, or Viva Hate, or even more likely, The Smiths. Some of us feel this way already in 2017.

I am super excited that I get to listen to this, 3am where I am but I will be waking up to listen.. love you Morrissey and so happy for you.

Let's wish him well solowers.

'we can be heroes, just for one day.'

yes, they would like to, maybe the song will inspire some to do so, songs have changed peoples minds to think of new ways to do things. And it doesn't matter who's writing the song, as long as it gets written, and who else will? who else even can? and of course that voice !

:cool:

hR5aYn5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom