My assessment of "Spent the day in bed"

Regarding this thread, it is clear to see (if you're lucky enough to be able to):

1) Some persons will throw themselves on the fire, just to watch it burn brighter, and say, hey, I did that.
2) Some persons will ignore or discount a comment, simply because they don't like the person posting it. Face it kiddos, like him/her or love him/her, they make sensible posts that reflect truth mixed with opinion. If you can't respect a post simply because of your view of the poster, then it is yourself that looks foolish and rather....well, dumb.
3) All The Lazy Dykes......MEDIOCRE? Huh? Compared to what? This song has more layers than most of Morrissey's singles. (We are all entitled to our own opinions about what songs we like, etc. but you have to be very careful when you present your opinion as fact. They are two different things.)

I like Spent The Day In Bed. Nothing more, nothing less. And that's my opinion. And you don't care. And frankly, I don't care that you don't care. That's why it's called an opinion.

May the weak end finally live up to it's hype and bring joy to all....

OP is correct on all points , Spent the Day in Bed sounds like it was written in five minutes.

OP is correct on all points , Spent the Day in Bed sounds like it was written in five minutes.

?

wow !

genius ten fold our M is ! :thumb:

I guess what bothers me is not so much the recycling of ideas - I think every lyricist does that to a degree - but the fact that the lyrics don’t seem to evolve, quite the opposite. Where’s the wit, the irony, the sophistication that we all loved? It’s all gone from such clever and intricate use of language to this banal sloganeering - World peace is none of your business! Stop watching the news!
It's like George Carlin. Once a funny, eloquent, sharp as a tack comedian, ended with angry performances where he basically berated the crowd for an hour with politics bereft of insight or cleverness.

It's like George Carlin. Once a funny, eloquent, sharp as a tack comedian, ended with angry performances where he basically berated the crowd for an hour with politics bereft of insight or cleverness.

He can't sing. ;)
And nobody can sing like Moz. Period. :rock:

This year marks the 30th anniversary of Morrissey being written off as an artist. I guess if one predicts the world ending regularly enough one day it will come true. But not yet,not yet.

This year marks the 30th anniversary of Morrissey being written off as an artist. I guess if one predicts the world ending regularly enough one day it will come true. But not yet,not yet.

Yeah, I guess there must be a big reward in the sense of feeling you can say to everybody, I told you so. :rolleyes:

I see that all the Spent the Day in Bed excitement has died down rather quickly.

Well, DUH. :lbf:
It was a comparison between two people I really enjoy, and the parallels despite the different styles of performance.

nothing compares to Morrissey, which was actually the original lyric until last minute Prince changed it. :thumb:

The Leitmotiv really captures the Zeitgeist and the Weltanschaaung of our Wunderkind.

If you must go to work tomorrow, if I were you I’d spend the day in bed.

Many of the things you quote are just words and do not relate to ideas in his other songs: "rain", "train", etc. Others are blatantly redundant: "no highway" apropos "the lanes were silent". I didn't suggest this was all self-parody either. It was you who mentioned it being a "pastiche" but you've since edited it to "patchwork quilt". By your logic you could indeed say Heaven Knows... was a "pastiche" of his own style - and pastiching yourself would indeed be very close to self-parody, of course. The "passing of time" doesn't mean the same as "time, do as I wish" by any means, but is instead an example of his ongoing interest in this theme. Yes, he uses some words he has used in other songs. Yes, he touches on some of his familiar themes. You are correct there. Is there another song that says what this one does? No. Your argument just doesn't hold water. It's tenuous beyond belief!

Get a f***ing life you troll!!!

nothing compares to Morrissey, which was actually the original lyric until last minute Prince changed it. :thumb:
And Ministry was originally named Morrissey, but Al Jourgenson wanted to move away from the softer side of things!

And Ministry was originally named Morrissey, but Al Jourgenson wanted to move away from the softer side of things!

:lbf: ministry did have a funny evolution though, Al can't live that one down, no matter how many piercings and tattoos he gets.

:lbf: ministry did have a funny evolution though, Al can't live that one down, no matter how many piercings and tattoos he gets.
Right? Funnily enough, I love those first couple of albums. With Sympathy has some good synth pop!

Right? Funnily enough, I love those first couple of albums. With Sympathy has some good synth pop!

I prefer 'land of rape and honey' and 'the mind is a terrible thing to..' was thinking of seeing Death Grips who are opening for Ministry.

I prefer 'land of rape and honey' and 'the mind is a terrible thing to..' was thinking of seeing Death Grips who are opening for Ministry.
They are coming here soon, but I opted to buy tickets to see Gary Numan instead. Mainly because the venue where Ministry is playing is intolerable when sold out. I like their stuff all the way up to Psalm 69, which was a pretty formative album for me, and then after that, the drugs really seemed to take over. Their newer stuff is alright, but Al sounds a bit too Cookie Monster, vocally which bums me out.

Back
Top Bottom