NBA star Kevin Durant arrives in India wearing a Morrissey "Boxers" shirt

The usual scattered and meaningless pop cultural appropriation a la Urban Outfitters t-shirt rack or an actual fan?

He did go to college in Austin and lives in SF now. I wonder.

40446_40444_Screenshot_20170728-081420.jpg

Kill Uncle Fan writes:

Kevin Durant arrives in India wearing a Morrissey Boxers Shirt

I had ESPN on tonight and just happened to glance up at the screen and saw the NBA Finals MVP Kevin Durant wearing a Morrissey Boxers shirt as he arrived in India.

40445_kevin_durant.jpg

UPDATE Aug. 27:

Posted by CaffeineBloodstream:

For whatever it's worth, Kevin Durant explained in the Bill Simmons podcast. When asked by a listener, he said he wasn't into Morrissey but liked the t-shirt.

skip to 26:30:
https://www.theringer.com/the-bill-...752/kevin-durant-iv-ask-kevin-anything-part-1

Last edited by a moderator:
This is awesome, an iconic visit and he wears a Morrissey shirt. He goes to India to promote IndiaNBA and he wears a M shirt. Confused though.

I wonder if he posts on this site??o_O

True - I just think it's a bit pompous to be so certain someone is not a fan (or has no idea who Morrissey is) mainly b/c they are famous and don't fit into some preconceived mold. If you saw some random stranger walking down the street in a Morrissey shirt, would you immediately assume they found the shirt and have no idea who Morrissey is? Of course not, so why is that the case when an athlete wears one?

Yes, I get that celebs have stylists and wardrobe people and there's a (good) chance KD has no clue who Morrissey is - but no one should dogmatically state it as fact.

Agreed especially now a days when people can access so much without so much hassle. As to theatres, they've always been terrible and I can't stand going. Even in the forties cities and so on behavior has never been great. Jackasses are jackasses no matter the decade

Rare UK tour only shirt. I am sure he did not attend the shows. I met him once and had no idea he knew who Morrissey was. We could have talked about His greatness. Then it might have been easier to pry and autograph from him. He did sign eventually.

Rare UK tour only shirt. I am sure he did not attend the shows. I met him once and had no idea he knew who Morrissey was. We could have talked about His greatness. Then it might have been easier to pry and autograph from him. He did sign eventually.

Wow, so you met KD and what you talked about was Morrissey? Any chance to ask his thoughts on the Gallagher brothers?

Reckon what does going to college in Austin have to do with being an Uncle Steve fan? Reckon I think he probably thought the last name of the boxer on the front of the shirt was named Morrissey. Reckon next his fashion assistant will give him a "Johny Rotten" shirt and then he will be called a Trump supporter on the internet.

It starts at 3:30.

Because Austin has a very flourishing indie music scene with many hip kids.

I used to play up tempo heavy metal before competitive tennis matches as Morrissey and songs like that joke isn't funny weren't gonna do much to get me pumped to run around like mad for three sets. I don't know if he likes morrissey or knows him at all but the idea that of course he doesn't because he likes hip hop and is a basketball player is sorta distasteful. As if those characteristic are somehow obviously the anthesis of morrissey and those who would listen to him. It's not 1983 anymore with rival musical cliques. I've got a huge hardcore collection with all the black flag releases and am still a fan despite Rollins distaste and old comments about morrissey not to mention the musical differences. I've also heard rappers mention morrisseys lyrical skills even if they aren't huge fans of the songs

I used to play up tempo heavy metal before competitive tennis matches as Morrissey and songs like that joke isn't funny weren't gonna do much to get me pumped to run around like mad for three sets. I don't know if he likes morrissey or knows him at all but the idea that of course he doesn't because he likes hip hop and is a basketball player is sorta distasteful. As if those characteristic are somehow obviously the anthesis of morrissey and those who would listen to him. It's not 1983 anymore with rival musical cliques. I've got a huge hardcore collection with all the black flag releases and am still a fan despite Rollins distaste and old comments about morrissey not to mention the musical differences. I've also heard rappers mention morrisseys lyrical skills even if they aren't huge fans of the songs

so, what are you trying to say?

That the idea of assuming him not being a morrissey fan because he has a playlist of hip hop music and a tattoo of 2pac is old fashioned at best and distasteful imo

much clearer. Thank you. And I agree.

O.k. this is what happened.. He had to quickly catch his plane, needed a clean shirt or clean enough shirt and picked this one up off his boyfriends floor or girlfriends, it doesn't matter. Though without expecting it, had the warmest welcome with his arrival in India simply because of M's popularity there with his song 'Bengali In..' Since it is a song where one outsider shows sympathy/empathy to another outsider, both outsiders in a world where both are trying to fit in by dressing up as Ziggy Stardust.

;)

Last edited:
No way in hell KD has ever even heard the name Morrissey. 100% his stylist, vintage tees are what's popping for celebrities right now.
I love Morrissey and I love Kevin Durant, but I agree 100% with this post. It's like when Justin Beiber wore the Moz shirt. Just style. But it is interesting that Morrissey shirts are now cool in the way 70's hard rock shirts used to be cool...

White cultural appropriation!

If white kids into rap are called whiggers what do we call black people into white shit?

Blhites?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom