New Hot Press Morrissey Issue

Some highlights...

Jerry Finn didn't like "I'm OK By Myself" at all and made it plain whilst Morrissey was singing, but M. pushed on. It is his favourite song on YOR. The closing minute was "nerve wracking".

Singing is "sexual".

Herb Alpert agreed to play on 3 YOR tracks, but cancelled and then backed off.

Loved Hollywood films, but realized they were "biggest lie of all". Coupled with realization that abbotoirs existed changed him as a child leading to "inevitable anti-depressants".

Librarian Mother had "masses and masses of books on Irish politics and history", which he was "never responsible enough to read".

Brilliant vignette on going to the Job Centre at 17.

Admires Iggy and the Stooges "Raw Power"

Lots about Jerry Finn as a producer. JF didn't care for "I Like You" and "How Can Anybody.." and mixed them "dispassionately".

Q.Have you ever considered fatherhood?

A.I wouldn't have the gall to assume that any living thing would want me as a father. What a burden to place on a small, innocent child.

Discusses US politics. Sarah Palin:" Possibly the most repulsive and offensive and mentally warped figure ever seen in American politics".

Discusses UK politics, 3rd runway at Heathrow, Greenpeace.

Ageism, his confirmed by letter ban on Radio One for reasons of age and not making "consistently good music".

Jonathon Ross is a "great friend".

30's, 40's and 50's actors like Cagney, Raft were unique and could be identified by a casual imitation that is not possible with Cruise, Hanks, Pitt, Cage etc because they are not unique. Also true of female contemporary actors compared to Davis, Crawford, Stanwyck etc.

etc etc.

Very enjoyable interview :)

Sooo not Frinky, in the adjective sense:
Professor+Frink.gif

Surely you have no objections to the words "Frisky" or "Kinky" on their own?

You just don't like them squashed together?

*Enough f*in around, someone please pull some snippets or post some scans
kthanx!

"Frisky" is fine when applied to a dog.

"Kinky" is almost always good.

"F" word :(

See snippets above, Julie. Kthxbai.

All right you win. :bow:;)

Thank you for those lovely snippets.
Sounds like a great read! Can't wait to get it.

No problem

If "f" makes you and the other effers happy Julie, that's the main thing :)

There is also a free cd of a gig by Bell X1 with the mag. They are pretty highly rated.

Gimme Danger is one of my all time favorite songs.
I saw this on Wikipedia: "Johnny Marr has stated that the guitar intro to "Gimme Danger" was the main inspiration for his own Smiths composition "Hand In Glove" - the similarity is quite evident."

I never once realized the similarities when listening to either song. :o
A rock critic I will never be.

Thank you so much for the snippets, I Am a Ghost.
Nice to know that Ok By Myself is Moz's favourite song on YoR, cuz it's mine too. :) :love:

Thanks for the really kind words below, I said I'd put up where Hot Press is available in the UK this week, and it took a few days longer then it should have as there were no towns attached to the newsagents just Post Codes!
I've now got a list of all the independent outlets that this issue will be carried in as well as being able to let you know that it should be in all Borders as well. The list is sorted by Post Code - hope that all makes sense.

Some highlights...

Jerry Finn didn't like "I'm OK By Myself" at all and made it plain whilst Morrissey was singing, but M. pushed on. It is his favourite song on YOR. The closing minute was "nerve wracking".

Singing is "sexual".

Herb Alpert agreed to play on 3 YOR tracks, but cancelled and then backed off.

Loved Hollywood films, but realized they were "biggest lie of all". Coupled with realization that abbotoirs existed changed him as a child leading to "inevitable anti-depressants".

Librarian Mother had "masses and masses of books on Irish politics and history", which he was "never responsible enough to read".

Brilliant vignette on going to the Job Centre at 17.

Lots about Jerry Finn as a producer. JF didn't care for "I Like You" and "How Can Anybody.." and mixed them "dispassionately".

Q.Have you ever considered fatherhood?

A.I wouldn't have the gall to assume that any living thing would want me as a father. What a burden to place on a small, innocent child.

Discusses US politics. Sarah Palin:" Possibly the most repulsive and offensive and mentally warped figure ever seen in American politics".

Discusses UK politics, 3rd runway at Heathrow, Greenpeace.

Ageism, his confirmed by letter ban on Radio One for reasons of age and not making "consistently good music".

Jonathon Ross is a "great friend".

30's, 40's and 50's actors like Cagney, Raft were unique and could be identified by a casual imitation that is not possible with Cruise, Hanks, Pitt, Cage etc because they are not unique. Also true of female contemporary actors compared to Davis, Crawford, Stanwyck etc.

etc etc.

Very enjoyable interview :)

I just ordered a copy. After seeing the cover I was powerless not to.

Got mine in the post today...yayyyyyy! Loving the cover:p:p

File0069.jpg

This one I like also but not really a good pose to take when standing in the woods methinks:lbf::lbf:

File0070.jpg

Got mine in the post today...yayyyyyy! Loving the cover:p:p

File0069.jpg

This one I like also but not really a good pose to take when standing in the woods methinks:lbf::lbf:

File0070.jpg

Oh, goodness. Such intense expressions. And he's not fat! Lordy. I'm fat! I KNOW fat... He's not it. And if he was, more to love, I say.

And obviously so. I'll never forget the let down after hearing the final versions of both of those songs.

:tears:

From the last issue - NY stores that carry Hot Press:

East Village News - 131 2nd Ave.
Universal News - 977 8th Ave.
Universal News - 234 W 42nd St.
Hudson News - 89 E. 42nd St.
Magazine Cafe - 15 W. 37th St.
Gem Spa

Sorry, I only have NY stores.

Last edited:
Do any stores in the US carry hot press?

According to duan, you find it from the following stores:

USA STOCKISTS OF HOTPRESS
CALIFORNIA
WORLD BOOK & NEWS 1652 NO CAHUENGA B HOLLYWOOD 90028
WEST COAST NESSTAND 11628 S.TA MONICA LOS ANGELES 90025
MONTROSE VILLAGE NEWSSTAND 2329 HONOLULU AVE MONTROSE 91020
THE BOOKSMITH 1644 HAIGHT STREET SAN FRANCISCO 94117
NEWSBEAT (SACRAMENTO) 1050 20TH STREET, SACRAMENTO 95811
CENTERFOLD II 716 N. FAIRFAX AVE LOS ANGELES 90046
THE NEWSSTAND 4568 VAN NUYS BLVD SHERMAN OAKS 91403

NEW YORK
EAST VILLAGE NEWS 131 SECOND AVENUE NEW YORK 10003