New Hot Press Morrissey Issue

Got mine in the post today...yayyyyyy! Loving the cover:p:p

File0069.jpg

This one I like also but not really a good pose to take when standing in the woods methinks:lbf::lbf:

File0070.jpg

thank you, could you scan the other page please:thumb:

Got mine today too, had forgotten about it :)rolleyes:)so it was a LOVELY suprise.
well done to the Hot Press guys for being so prompt. :)

Thank you:thumb:

Thanks for the scan. :)

Can anyone enlighten me as to why Morrissey thinks Radio 1 not playing him is racist? :confused:

Can anyone enlighten me as to why Morrissey thinks Radio 1 not playing him is racist? :confused:

We have to ask Janice Long if she could ask him what he meant. ;)

*edit*
Morrissey meant ageist, but Hot Press interviewer heard it as racist?

Last edited:
We have to ask Janice Long if she could ask him what he meant. ;)

*edit*
Morrissey meant ageist, but Hot Press interviewer heard it as racist?

But age-ist is in the transcript as well.

It was clear to me on reading that when he says 'and possibly racist', he was obviously being tongue-in-cheek, and taking the piss. Just imagine Morrissey saying it. Probably a subtle dig at today's politically correct culture.

Wow. If I didn't love him before (and I did), I sure love him now. What a great interview!

i wonder abou that too.maybe because his parents are from ireland?hadnt he some dissidents coming from his classmates back in the 70ties,
well and i guess this george from radio one is of a similar age and had reservations about people of irish ancestry,and had bullied people....probably a far stretch but ..
..or he was just tongue incheek..in wake of the nme article of december 2007..to ,ock the whole issue

Than you Black Eyed for the scans. It's a pleasure to read such intelligent questions and revealing answers from Moz's side. Great read.

I must have missed the part about the lesbian serial killer.

I wouldn't have the gall to assume any living thing would want me as a father. What a burden to place on a small, innocent child.

Its all one long concentration camp for me. No ski boots for me, thanks all the same

Your unborn child is going to become a lesbian serial killer

Now I know how Joan Of Arc felt

Great interview, thanks for the scan.... nice to see Morrissey getting some of his political opinions across without coming across like an ex-pat Daily Mail reader. Good interview questions as well, very intelligent and not out to prove a point. Always interesting to find out more about the machinations of the recording process. I also liked the fact that Morrissey was refreshingly honest about his working relationship with a friend who recently passed away.

again thanks very much

Many thanks for posting the scans!

And thanks to Hot Press for actually conducting a substantive interview instead of the usual NME policy of setting him up for bitchy soundbites.

His comments about singing are particularly important, I think, not only with regard to the songs on Years of Refusal but about his more general ideas about singing in pop songs. I don't think it's universally true that people respond to the vocals they way he says they do, but his answer gives us a good insight into the ambitions behind his own music, namely, that everything should stand or fall on the strength of his vocal performance. His voice on Years of Refusal sounds better than it ever has, and more importantly the voice moves the band into the background, making the backing tracks both more effective and less relevant to the overall sound. Criticisms of some of the songs as "generic, poppy faux-punk" miss the point.

Mags not in store yet, but I'll buy when they arrive. A good read, thanks. :)

Last edited:
Many thanks for posting the scans!

And thanks to Hot Press for actually conducting a substantive interview instead of the usual NME policy of setting him up for bitchy soundbites.

His comments about singing are particularly important, I think, not only with regard to the songs on Years of Refusal but about his more general ideas about singing in pop songs. I don't think it's universally true that people respond to the vocals they way he says they do, but his answer gives us a good insight into the ambitions behind his own music, namely, that everything should stand or fall on the strength of his vocal performance. His voice on Years of Refusal sounds better than it ever has, and more importantly the voice moves the band into the background, making the backing tracks both more effective and less relevant to the overall sound. Criticisms of some of the songs as "generic, poppy faux-punk" miss the point.

I think Morrissey's almost single-minded focus on the vocal performance also explains why melodies created by Alain Whyte (and available on his MySpace page) weren't used as the basis for songs. Most people, myself included, agree that these instrumental pieces are great in themselves; however, I don't think they offered Morrissey the opportunity to create a distinctive vocal melody.

A few days ago, I was singing 'Dear God, Please Help Me' to myself whilst washing the dishes and even with my piss-poor singing voice, it struck me that the vocal melody was strong enough to stand on its own (much as I love the orchestral arrangement surrounding it).

I'd love to hear Morrissey record a completely vocal performance, no musical/instrumental backing at all (perhaps with a little vocal layering to add texture).

Tags
interview
Back
Top Bottom