New items added to the collectors appendix after the launch by Stephane

This is very likely the explanation behind the alternate colours for "Strangeways...", "Girlfriend In A Coma", etc. as they also leave green but lose other colours in the mix.

I'm still not completely convinced about the discolouration for the EU TCM cassette but Dave's experiment will be the final proof. As for the alternate GIAC 7" colour variations I do agree with Stephane. I have attached a picture of a Dutch "green" GFIAC 7", take a closer look at the discolouration caused by the price tag....

Take care, Marcel

Attachments

• GFIAC_NL.jpg
    GFIAC_NL.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 37
So a grey 7" can become green but how does a green 12" become grey?

I don't believe the green UK 7" GIACs on glossy card sleeves were victims of light in other words. My two cents

Last edited:
Hi,

Sorry but the Collecting "the smiths" thread by Stephane is not available anymore.

"The New Zealand LP is slipped inside an Australian sleeve, so it may therefore be mistaken for an Australian release if one does not look inside. The name of the band on the front is very dark green and the titles on the back are light green. The record inside looks nothing like its Australian counterpart as it has the green and red silhouette labels typical of New Zealand and later Australian releases. The track listing includes "This Charming Man" at the beginning of side 2, but "Still Ill" which usually opens that side, is pushed back at the end of it. Information about the inner sleeve is needed."

My NZ copy has "Still Ill" at the beginning of the b-side and "This Charming Man" at the end. That record has no inner sleeve. Just a clear plastic inner one.

Cheers

So a grey 7" can become green but how does a green 12" become grey?

There are two different things with "Girlfriend In A Coma". Some copies suffered from discolouration (clearly visible in Marcel's scan), but the green-grey thing is a completely different story. The 7" and 12" we commonly refer to as 'mispressings' were either deliberately or accidently pressed with the incorrect colour scheme, and in some cases also the incorrect text on the back.

I never said that all records in sleeves that aren't the intended colour are discoloured. What I'm saying that just because it's not the intended colour does not mean it's a mispressing.

And on the subject of the This Charming Man cassette that started the discussion, I've had someone confirm that they bought their copy beige and now it's white and green.

Stephane

Here is an UK GFIAC 7" often sold as a "green edged" mispressing but it is just another nice example of discolouration. Like Stephane said the others were probably deliberately or accidentally pressed with the incorrect colour scheme.

Take care, Marcel

Attachments

• Smiths_GFIAC_UK2.JPG
    Smiths_GFIAC_UK2.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I don't think those GIAC green sleeves 7" are the result of a discolouration...

You can see the french one at the top and the UK one at the bottom (not the back sleeve mispressing).

Cheers !

Photo0996.jpg

I don't think those GIAC green sleeves 7" are the result of a discolouration...

This is not what's being discussed, as I explained in post #25. See Marcel's posts #21 and #26 in this thread for photos of sleeves that have clearly suffered from discolouration.

I'm amazed at the amount of resistance to the idea that record sleeves can suffer from exposure to light.

As requested by Stephane in private, here is the b-side label and back sleeve pictures of the NZ lp.

Thanks Outsider. Can you confirm by playing the record that "Still Ill" is at the beginning of side 2? Also, if I may ask, how does the inner sleeve compare with the usual UK inner sleeve?

Does anyone here own a copy with "Still Ill" at the end of side 2?

Stephane

Thanks Outsider. Can you confirm by playing the record that "Still Ill" is at the beginning of side 2? Also, if I may ask, how does the inner sleeve compare with the usual UK inner sleeve?

Does anyone here own a copy with "Still Ill" at the end of side 2?

Stephane

Hello Stephane,

I have just listened to the record and I confirm that Still Ill is at the beginning of the b-side and This Charming Man at the end. As I previously said there is no inner sleeve in my copy. Just a clear plastic one.

It is printed RTRANZ004 on the spine and not RTANZ004.

Cheers

"RANK France CD [Virgin 30630]
Most French compact discs were made in France by MPO but this one was unexpectedly pressed in Austria for the French market by DADC. The packaging is very much like that of the British edition it was based on. The front shows the usual cd variation of the artwork. On the back the Rough Trade UK catalogue number and address were replaced with a Virgin credit, and the Virgin catalogue number was added under the barcode. The booklet appears to be identical to the British booklet (confirmation needed). On its back the Rough Trade catalogue number was changed to the Virgin one. The cd surface follows the same design, but the text is printed over the white portions in black instead of brown and a few expected changes were made to account for the involvement of Virgin."

There is also an edition made by MPO France. The booklet and back sleeve are identicals. The cds seems to be the same except for the "made in France by MPO" instead of "made by DADC - Austria". Around the center hole it is stated "compact disc M.P.O France 12".

Thanks Outsider... Would it be possible for you to send me a photo of the two discs side by side? Also, can you confirm that the booklet is perfectly identical to the UK Rough Trade booklet except for the catalogue number?

thanks!
Stephane

It would appear that a lot of the "Collecting..." threads have been archived, which is a shame as we now have to place all info in this one thread.

In relation to radio programmes http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/disc/smiths-radioprogrammes-c.htm

I have a copy of BBC In Concert 354 [UK BBC, LP: 155154-S]
This is what is commonly referred to as a "BBC transcription disc". The LP features the following nine songs recorded live at the Oxford Apollo on 18 March 1985: "William, It Was Really Nothing", "Hand In Glove", "How Soon Is Now?", "Stretch Out And Wait", "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore", "Shakespeare's Sister", "The Headmaster Ritual", "Still Ill" and "Meat Is Murder" (this is very likely incorrect and/or incomplete). It is distributed in a generic yellow "BBC Transcription Services" sleeve die-cut to show the labels (image needed). These labels are white and pale green with black text and a pale green BBC TS logo at the top. The black printed information includes duration, side number, catalogue number, expiration date ("31.8.89"), release information and copyright ("BBC 1985"). The record comes with two inserts. One has information on the Smiths and shows a press photo of the band (including Morrissey wearing a hat). The other insert features content information and serves as a cue sheet. This is supposedly limited to 50 copies.
Listed in Record Collector magazine's top Smiths collectibles in 1988, value £125-£175.

I've sent scans of the labels and sleeve to Flax who has posted them to Vulgar Picture http://www.vulgarpicture.com/s1985.html

Here is the track listing
Transcription%2520track%2520list.JPG

Now, what wouldn't I give for a copy of the Kilburn transcription disc...

Dave

It would appear that a lot of the "Collecting..." threads have been archived, which is a shame as we now have to place all info in this one thread.

Yes I don't understand why everything needs to get archived. It'd be nice if those threads could stay active so we can discuss collectibles in them.

Now, what wouldn't I give for a copy of the Kilburn transcription disc...

You've got perfect bootlegs copies out there if it's the contents you are interested in.

thanks for the info!
Stephane

Yes I don't understand why everything needs to get archived. It'd be nice if those threads could stay active so we can discuss collectibles in them.

They don't have to be archived, I can move everything back from the archives if that is what you want. In general if a thread hasn't been active in 3 months it is archived but I can skip that for the Collector's Corner forum.

Edit - just moved all archived posts back.

Last edited:
Interlude - Holland cd-single [EMI 881583-2]

There is also a "Made In Holland" disc with golden text. The first picture shows the "Made In Holland" disc as described in the "Interlude" collectors appendix. The second picture shows the "Made In UK" disc compared to the golden text "Made In Holland" disc.

Take care, Marcel

Attachments

• P1080611.JPG
    P1080611.JPG
    490.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Holland cd disc.JPG
    Holland cd disc.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 13
I've conducted a little little experiment over the last few months. These are two Swedish GIAC 7"s, both were grey to start with, I made the one to the left green (it's actually greener in real life).

DSCN1186.jpg

I've conducted a little little experiment over the last few months. These are two Swedish GIAC 7"s, both were grey to start with, I made the one to the left green (it's actually greener in real life).

DSCN1186.jpg

Tell us more.... is it exposure to the sun? Or have you been colouring it in? :)

Dave

The first. For the first couple of months nothing happened (could it be the Swedish climate?) but little by little as even Stockholm was getting some sun things started to happen. My mistake was I left the record in the sleeve, so that is now warped:( It was worth it though, I think.

Back
Top Bottom