New Morrissey interview mentions Bowie, start of new album entirely of covers (12 songs) - Infobae

Morrissey, entrevistado por Infobae: “David Bowie abandonó el talento y la vocación en 1980” - Infobae (Argentina)

Morrissey, interviewed by Infobae: "David Bowie abandoned talent and vocation in 1980"
Before the start of his tour of the region, the charismatic and talented English musician spoke with Infobae Cultura about his way of composing, his upcoming tour, his rejection of the post-80 Bowie and announced that he will release a new album composed entirely of covers

By Nicolás Pichersky
August 4, 2018
Infobae Cultura interviewed this great artist via email. A Morrissey, as always, to dry. Morrissey, like Wilde, Sinatra, Brando: one of the most evocative pop artists of the last four decades.

- You usually write along with other musicians (as in The Smiths did with Johnny Marr) Could you tell us about your creative process?
- There is no such thing as a process in itself. The songs are based on my experience and in general conform to some musical structure. I have a strong sense of melody and usually this is the root and center of each of my songs.

- In the maturity and peak of his career, unlike other artists (like Rod Stewart, Bob Dylan or Paul McCartney), you have never used the classic songbooks for your records.
- Well, just yesterday I started recording what will be my new album: it will be entirely covers and with 12 songs. So you see: I'm already doing what many say I would never do!

- In his autobiography he tells how David Bowie insistently looked for him for a joint project. Now that Bowie is gone: what is the strangest thing about him?
- I will never forget the respect I had for him when I was very, very young because England was still going through a violent and skinhead era and he emerged with his great melodies and a confrontational image together with a feminine appearance. And with all that he had to fight against those who criticized him: and it was a miracle because he triumphed. The press in general called it "a national disgrace." Now they love him, of course ... But his talent and vocation left him in 1980: his music became a professional career and, since that time, singing or composing did not bring him new challenges and pleasures. And in this sense, the effort he had to make with thereafter is obvious.

The tug-of-war that Moz maintains with the press (not of his country, but of the whole world) is known. And the almost infantile hatred of Morrissey towards the media is transparent, something that he initiates in his autobiography, dedicating to him the subject numerous pages and placing himself in a place of victim and of J'accuse ...! of pop music. Of course, your opinions do not help much.

Morrissey seems to be a contradictory man: the newspapers have accused him of xenophobic or intolerant attitudes (with certain objectivity: just read his statements) or close to the extreme right. But at the same time, he maintains a critical attitude toward the English empire or the era of Margaret Thatcher. Just read the Jacobin subtitle of his latest album: on the cover, a boy holds a banner that says, without subtleties, "Guillotine to the monarchy."

- Does Morrissey feel comfortable with some traditional political stance?

- In the United Kingdom a couple of "hate" diaries have led a disparaging campaign against me: everything I say or think is constructed and treated as "diabolical". This is because they are extreme left, which is why my criticisms of the ritual slaughter of animals, clitoris ablation or immigration without control, do not fit in with their philosophy. And unfortunately the left extremists control the most important media in England, so there is no possible multicultural debate: if you mess with those issues, your opinions are repressed by this fragile left that does not even submit them to consideration. My band, which has been with me for years, is multi-ethnic, my most recent album has a dedication to Dick Gregory, one of the most important American civil rights activists there was. And my lyrics try to observe the diversity of what happens in Turkey, Israel, Ukraine, Egypt, France, Italy, Spain or Barein. And, all in all, these two "hate" newspapers label me as racist. I never met any racist person and I think the idea of xenophobia is absurd. But the English media are in the "Age of idiocy" and accuse anyone who asks for an open discussion as a racist.Help!

Morrissey, 'the big mouth' as he has so often sung, 'attacks back'. He seems to see red flags as if he were in the middle of the Cold War (and as if he had been born in Kansas, more than in Manchester). Will he believe in his perception of the ideological shift to the left of the media that a reactionary and popular tabloid like The Sun is now progressive?

On the end, and despite discarding the post-80 Bowie (love, modern and danceable: from Modern love to New killer star ), a joke or an ironic praise is left to him in his last response.

- Could you tell us something about your show in Buenos Aires?
- Yes: I will be on stage with a giant glass chandelier. That would be a good idea, right? ( N of R: The Glass Spider Tour was a famous world tour of David Bowie during the 80s ).

* Morrissey will visit this part of the world from November 22nd and 23rd, in Mexico; Peru (27/11); Brazil (30/11 and 2/12), Argentina (7/12) and will close in Chile (14 and 15/12)

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the latest with Chain Gang studio release? A summer release the statement a few months ago said...

:lbf:

be careful of what you ask for. ;)

Here's one I made earlier...

27e9efb4ab24ff980db95f661269fc4a.png

A bit like I don't care for Pinups much 'cause it felt like Bowie-lite some people's best work is their own.
Funnily enough, the Maine Road pic of Bowie and Moz they've used in the article was previously unpublished until, on a tip off from Linder Sterling, I unearthed it from the archives of the Manchester Evening News and published it in my book BowieStyle. For the record, it's not the pic Bowie prevented Moz using for the Playboys reissue.

Anyhow, the other day I penned an article about the formation of The Smiths. I hope you like it.

http://stevepafford.com/smiths/

Funnily enough, the Maine Road pic of Bowie and Moz they've used in the article was previously unpublished until, on a tip off from Linder Sterling, I unearthed it from the archives of the Manchester Evening News and published it in my book BowieStyle. For the record, it's not the pic Bowie prevented Moz using for the Playboys reissue.

Anyhow, the other day I penned an article about the formation of The Smiths. I hope you like it.

http://stevepafford.com/smiths/

Absolutely bizarre suggestion that "Hand in Glove" celebrates fisting?
On what planet?

Probably on the one that celebrates a man's derriere on the front cover? Planet Amy Denial is it called?

"Hand in Glove" is about a close friendship/relationship, optimism in the face of adversity, hope, youth, love, all of these things. It's about the start of the Smiths, by most accounts (Johnny, Andy and Mike all felt it was about the band). There are Smiths songs which reference sex overtly, but not this one. Why would the cover photo mean that the song was about "fisting"?

Your mention of it reminds me of some fans across the pond who were a bit unfamiliar with Morrissey's Northern turns of phrase and used to ask things like, "Do bees even have knees?", or thought that "The sun shines out of our behinds" was a reference to anal sex. "Hand in glove" isn't, you know....a literal hand going into a glove, before it goes up someone's back end?!

Last edited:
"Hand in Glove" is about a close friendship/relationship, optimism in the face of adversity, hope, youth, love,all of these things. It's about the start of the Smiths, by most accounts (Johnny, Andy and Mike all felt it was about the band). There are Smiths songs which reference sex overtly, but not this one. Why would the cover photo mean that the song was about "fisting"? Your mention of it reminds meof those fans who were a bit unfamiliar with some of Morrissey's Northern turns of phrase and used to ask things like, "Do bees even have knees?", or thought that "The sun shines out of our behinds" was a reference to anal sex. "Hand in glove" isn't, you know, a literal hand going into a glove, before it goes up someone's back end?!
I hear you Amy, and that’s how I take it, but like 99% of my gay male friends say there is some butt stuff in there as well :rolleyes:

I hear you Amy, and that’s how I take it, but like 99% of my gay male friends say there is some butt stuff in there as well :rolleyes:

Well, it's a Johnny song (don't get me started...:lbf:) but it's not about fisting!

Pretty sure fisting wasn’t invented til the 90s anyhoo ;) could be wrong though, not really my scene :o
I'm pretty sure that inserting weird things into orifices, including fists, probably originated in ancient Rome.
Caligula would have applauded. But hey, everything's on Wikipedia, right?

Fisting's emergence as a popular sexual practice is commonly attributed to gay male culture and it may not have existed until the twentieth century.[3][4][5] Robert Morgan Lawrence, a sex educator, however, believes the practice dates back thousands of years.[6] The most famous fisting club in the world was the Catacombs, located in San Francisco, which operated during the 1970s and 1980s.[7] The Handball Express was another such club.[8] Crisco was commonly used as a lubricant, before more specialized personal lubricants became available.

In the 1980s, it was assumed that unprotected fisting—which often produces small injuries to the anus, permitting microorganisms access to the blood—was an easy route for transmission of HIV. This, combined with sexual squeamishness towards the public fisting culture in gay establishments of San Francisco, led gay writer Randy Shilts to successfully campaign for the closure of venues, such as gay bathhouses and sex clubs, that openly permitted it.[9] Fisting gradually returned as a sexual practice over the next 30 years.

The San Francisco South of Market Leather History Alley consists of four works of art along Ringold Alley honoring leather culture; it opened in 2017.[10][11] One of the works of art is metal bootprints along the curb which honor 28 people who were an important part of the leather communities of San Francisco; those honored include Steve McEachern, owner of the fisting club the Catacombs, and Bert Herman, leader of the fisting community, author, and publisher.[10][11]

I'm pretty sure that inserting weird things into orifices, including fists, probably originated in ancient Rome.
Caligula would have applauded. But hey, everything's on Wikipedia, right?

Fisting's emergence as a popular sexual practice is commonly attributed to gay male culture and it may not have existed until the twentieth century.[3][4][5] Robert Morgan Lawrence, a sex educator, however, believes the practice dates back thousands of years.[6] The most famous fisting club in the world was the Catacombs, located in San Francisco, which operated during the 1970s and 1980s.[7] The Handball Express was another such club.[8] Crisco was commonly used as a lubricant, before more specialized personal lubricants became available.

In the 1980s, it was assumed that unprotected fisting—which often produces small injuries to the anus, permitting microorganisms access to the blood—was an easy route for transmission of HIV. This, combined with sexual squeamishness towards the public fisting culture in gay establishments of San Francisco, led gay writer Randy Shilts to successfully campaign for the closure of venues, such as gay bathhouses and sex clubs, that openly permitted it.[9] Fisting gradually returned as a sexual practice over the next 30 years.

The San Francisco South of Market Leather History Alley consists of four works of art along Ringold Alley honoring leather culture; it opened in 2017.[10][11] One of the works of art is metal bootprints along the curb which honor 28 people who were an important part of the leather communities of San Francisco; those honored include Steve McEachern, owner of the fisting club the Catacombs, and Bert Herman, leader of the fisting community, author, and publisher.[10][11]
I was being facetious, but now I know, thanks

I surveyed many gay dudes today and guess what?:flushed:
100 percent, after being presented the evidence, agree that chances are about 100 percent that DramaJ is super gay. They would know as they are gay too.:smilecat:

One sign they pointed out: almost all DramaJ hardcore fans like^^^^cant help themselves from posting about heavy duty gay stuff all the time.:lbf: So THEY would argue, that DramaJ fans are likely gay too.:kissing:

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom