Morrissey Central "NEW RELEASE" (October 31, 2020)

Morrissey David Bowie, NYC ~ Linder.jpg

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/new-release

Morrissey's duet with David Bowie is released on Friday 13th November.

The digital download / streaming will be followed by a 7-inch disc on 19th February.

Sleeve front and back photographs of David Bowie and Morrissey were taken in New York City by Linder Sterling.

'Cosmic Dancer' is a song written by Marc Bolan.

The additional track is a cover of 'That's Entertainment' by Paul Weller. It is not the version generally available on the internet from 1993.

'Cosmic Dancer' is supported by an upgraded and edited video made in Los Angeles by Tim Broad.

The video and 'That's Entertainment' are also available on 13th November.

This recording is on Parlophone and is released through Warner.

Artwork (above) has been prepared by Darren Evans.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
The rights will be between Morrissey's label at the time (Parlophone, now Warners) and Bowie's (Arista, now Sony). Bowie's estate probably don't get a say, except in the unlikely event he insisted on a contract to cover his performance. Otherwise, Bowie is just a musician with no more rights than if he'd been filling in on drums.

And yet Bowie is top-billed.

The only sense I can make out of that statement, is that another studio recording was attempted but aborted in 1994. Why try recording it again? Who knows - maybe a more uptempo version for a potential B-Side? And presumably this new version keeps those 1994 vocals, but has newly recorded backing from Moz's current band lineup.
If your assumption is correct, one question still remains. What is this mystery "version generally available on the internet from 1993" the new announcement speaks of? 😉

Bowie does look slightly corpse-like. I can see why he blocked it before.

I Am Not A Dog On A Chain, his 13th studio album, was originally supposed to be released on Friday, 13th March, so he's either not too superstitious or he just likes to challenge the powers of fate.

I Am Not A Dog On A Chain, his 13th studio album, was originally supposed to be released on Friday, 13th March, so he's either not too superstitious or he just likes to challenge the powers of fate.
He's probably thinking, it's been a complete sh*t year, family death, covid, lockdowns, et al, so come on Friday the 13th...bring it on & do your worst! How much worse could you actually make it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, The Dame's name comes first, but the visuals are where it's at.

DB looks like a deathly leering gnome who's lost his tie {or a dude who's just been in a New York recording studio for 8 weeks}. í don't mean that in a pejorative sense.

Morrissey looks like the key-lit Elegant Eccles Elvis that he was back then.

í like it. Can't miss with black & gold and those visuals. Evans has done enough sterling work with Moz & Bowie product previously to know the score.

í will be interested to see the "upgraded" video, and hear that magical mystery "That's Entertainment": Weller x Mariachi?

Wondering if we will get a response from the charming Zow...Duncan...Jones on this? Last time he got irked about SPM he advised him to get fellated.

Wondering if we will get a response from the charming Zow...Duncan...Jones on this? Last time he got irked about SPM he advised him to get fellated.

Wasn't willing to carry out the act himself though...

Yeah, must be a mistake. I’m sure they’ll fix it for it’s release.

Maybe they are going by alphabetical order?

The only other example I can remember is Interlude with Siouxsie and it was "Morrissey & Siouxsie", but the M goes before the S (alphabetically).

... When these choices can become controversial, quite often the alphabet rules... so maybe it's not a mistake.

The only sense I can make out of that statement, is that another studio recording was attempted but aborted in 1994. Why try recording it again? Who knows - maybe a more uptempo version for a potential B-Side? And presumably this new version keeps those 1994 vocals, but has newly recorded backing from Moz's current band lineup.

It's either that, or Moz/Sam were pissed out of their skulls on pints of vodka when they wrote that press release. :squiffy:
Alain Whyte can't remember any re-recording of TE in the 90s. Most likely, Boz alone did some new instrumentations during 2020.
It is often in the nature of things, that followers of earlier works want to know exactly in which years something was created. Usually even more empathically than the artists themselves. But the fact, that two different years are mentioned, both of which seem to be wrong is very strange. As you know, Vauxhall was recorded in 1993 and I definitely assume that Alain Whyte would know if the recordings were made there. Alternatively, I could imagine that Boz worked on it alone, as he did mostly on covers of Moonriver (94) and Interlude (93), so Alain Whyte didn't know anything about it.

Last edited:
Alternatively, I could imagine that Boz worked on it alone, as he did mostly on covers of Moonriver (94) and Interlude (93), so Alain Whyte didn't know anything about it.
Still doesn't explain why someone on Central believes that this obscure, secret version from either 1994 or 1993, that not even Alain Whyte knows about, is available on the internet.

Sometimes I wonder if these announcements are circulated amongst Camp Moz via a game of Chinese whispers and that's the reason why relevant information gets lost or mixed up along the way...

Not sure who Gary Newman is. I was talking about Gary Numan. If you don't like him, fine. There's no need to get so fired up and opinionated about it. I'd say the possibility of Halloween 🎃 fireworks has you on edge like a dog pissing itself.
people on here probably dont realise how huge gary numan was when he first came out,cars and are friends electric both straight to number 1,not bad fot your first chart succrss,same with adam ant.

if you see this on a record store shelf you would think it was a bowie release with M along for the ride.

people on here probably dont realise how huge gary numan was when he first came out,cars and are friends electric both straight to number 1,not bad fot your first chart succrss,same with adam ant.
I saw Gary Numan at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1980. First gig I ever went to. It was incredible.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom