New single - "Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage"; first play on Jeremy Vine show

UPDATE Nov. 7:

Link to pre-order limited edition 7" (Dec. 8 release date) posted by an anonymous person:

Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up on the Stage / You'll Be Gone (Live) - Norman Records

Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s On Stage is the second single to be taken from Morrissey's Low In High School album, his first since 2014, which is being met with a mix of excited anticipation and ambivalence. It will be backed with a live version of You’ll Be Gone. Limited edition 7” on the massive BMG label.

Now on YouTube and other streaming / download services. Link posted by Tbevie:

Also on Spotify as a single:

Jeremy Vine has announced via twitter:

1st play on his show tomorrow 12.00pm - 2.00pm

UPDATE 9:25 PM PT:

Some posts moved to the thread:

"Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage" - sleeve posted on @officialmoz / Twitter

41187_jackys_only_happy_sleeve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
agree with this 100 percent . I don't like the production at all on any of the songs so far , didn't like World Peace production either , really wish he had not gone with this guy again . It's so soulless and sterile and all those squelchy key sounds are so desperately trying to be modern but actually sound really dated .

The song itself is pretty good though , Spent The Day In Bed i quite liked when I first heard but hate to say it has not aged well with me and I'm actually pretty bored of it now . Some have likened the sound to Bona Drag era but for me it definitely doesn't have the staying power of any of those songs which I can still play today. I fear that the production is going to kill for me some of the songs which could have been good , I adore My Love I'd Do Anything For You for example which potentially could be the best album opener since Far Off Places but I'm pretty sure the sanitised production is going to kill it . Shame
Right? Why would someone take a muscular sound and neuter it? I can't listen to World Peace at all, and here we go again. But at least there are high quality live recordings to show what the songs sounded like before they had their balls lopped off.

God, I wish he had just stopped after YATQ. I don't think I'll be able to connect with a single song on this album.

After hearing this, my high hopes for the album have somewhat dimmed. The production is horrible. I wasn't a huge fan of the song to begin with, but the studio version seems to have strangled any life out of it altogether. I hope it hasn't ruined Home Is A Question Mark or My Love, I'd Do Anything For You too. It must be the first Morrissey single I got really bored of listening to after three or four listens. Even That's How People Grow Up and Spent the Day in Bed were obsessed over for a while before I came to my senses.

Last edited:
It did the same with I Wish You Lonely until the day they released it.
I'd suspect radio airplay today... Possibly a lyric video on YouTube later and then Spotify, iTunes, Google, Amazon... all listing it for sale.
Then again, nothing is certain with him :)
Regards,
FWD.
thought so as well famous,better get my quid ready.

d
God, I wish he had just stopped after YATQ. I don't think I'll be able to connect with a single song on this album.
dracula no ones biting.

Just listened to it again. What a load of crap!

Poor music, poor lyrics, poor production.

Most shite Morrissey single yet! And I remember the days of “Roy’s Keen” and “That’s how people grow up.”

Dear Lord....

Why did you listen to it again if only a few posts above you were calling it 'highly forgettable'? Why didn't you just forget it?

I think its brilliant. Love the song, love the production. The hybrid-child of a track by The Fall hanging out with Aladdin Sane era Bowie... It glistens!

Right? Why would someone take a muscular sound and neuter it? I can't listen to World Peace at all, and here we go again. But at least there are high quality live recordings to show what the songs sounded like before they had their balls lopped off.

exactly . the beauty of Morrissey albums is that they sounded timeless . they sound as fresh and exciting today as they did when they were first released as opposed to this which is sounding dated already .

If he was trying to put a modern edge to the sound imagine how great it would have been if he had gone with a producer like James Murphy ? Now that would have been interesting . Unfortunately Morrissey seems really stuck in his ways now , hence the lack of new writing partners , same set list tour after tour etc . It's a shame because some of these songs could have been good with the right producer .

After hearing this, my high hopes for the album have somewhat dimmed. The production is horrible. I wasn't a huge fan of the song to begin with, but the studio version seems to have strangled any life out of it altogether. I hope it hasn't ruined Home Is A Question Mark or My Love, I'd Do Anything For You too. It must be the first Morrissey single I got really bored of listening to after three or four listens. Even That's How People Grow Up and Spent the Day in Bed were obsessed over for a while before I came to my senses.
I agree with you about the production. I love the live version but I think the studio version is a bit overproduced. There's a couple of details I love on the live version, like the spoken sample during the "scene 2, scene 4" part. You can barely here it on the studio version. I also loved Jesse's wailing guitar during the "exit" outro but it's been put really far back in the mix on the studio version.

I'm Also worried about "My Love" I love the rawness of it. I hope it hasn't been given the same treatment.

Last edited:
I agree with you about the production. I love the live version but I think the studio version is I bit overproduced. There's a couple of details I love on the live version, like the spoken sample during the "scene 2, scene 4" part. You can barely here it on the studio version. I also loved Jesse's wailing guitar during the "exit" outro but it's been put really far back in the mix on the studio version.

I'm Also worried about "My Love" I love the rawness of it. I hope it hasn't been given the same treatment.

agreed. undoubtedly i prefer the rawness of it live also. i have listened to it a few times now. i do like it, but!

Radio X just played a edited version of It. The middle 8 horn section has been trimmed and the "Exit" outro's half the size.

agreed. undoubtedly i prefer the rawness of it live also. i have listened to it a few times now. i do like it, but!
Yeah me too. I think it's because I've been listening to the live version for about a month now so it's going to take a bit of time to get used to this version.

Without the voice it’s quite sinister

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom