New single - "Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage"; first play on Jeremy Vine show

UPDATE Nov. 7:

Link to pre-order limited edition 7" (Dec. 8 release date) posted by an anonymous person:

Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up on the Stage / You'll Be Gone (Live) - Norman Records

Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s On Stage is the second single to be taken from Morrissey's Low In High School album, his first since 2014, which is being met with a mix of excited anticipation and ambivalence. It will be backed with a live version of You’ll Be Gone. Limited edition 7” on the massive BMG label.

Now on YouTube and other streaming / download services. Link posted by Tbevie:

Also on Spotify as a single:

Jeremy Vine has announced via twitter:

1st play on his show tomorrow 12.00pm - 2.00pm

UPDATE 9:25 PM PT:

Some posts moved to the thread:

"Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage" - sleeve posted on @officialmoz / Twitter

41187_jackys_only_happy_sleeve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reckon it's not autobiographical. It was written about Nancy Sinatra.

Her Father seems to had some connection with the mob....I think Jacky is just picked as a easy Name, some would say probally His sister, I read it's about the Union Jack, I think it's maybe a put down at Kristeen Young.

Give Nancy a hug

Ref The band - no they were not awful. At all. That's total rubbish that you have posted above.

Hazard
x

Yeah, they were. Great energy from them, the crowd and Moz, but very rudimentary musicianship. Stephen Street talked about them murdering his songs in 1991 for a reason.

The leap in quality in 1992 was profound and they have acknowledged how much they learned from Mick Ronson.

20171109_113400.png

Oh dear Moz,
Jacky being age restricted on YouTube is the kiss of death. That reduces the 'reach' of the video drastically.
All because of some nipples - there's nothing in the song so it must have been reported for the cover - or their algorithm bots are clever enough to scan thumbnails.
YouTube and it's 'family friendly' mantra is just ridiculous - what they actually mean is that their infrastructure isn't sophisticated enough to allow tiered advertising - to assert ALL advertisers want 'family' audiences is garbage. How do horror films, adult topics, violent video games, sweary rap songs etc ever survive if that is the case.
Ah, well.
Same as it ever was.
FWD.

Oh dear Moz,
Jacky being age restricted on YouTube is the kiss of death.
All because of some nipples - there's nothing in the song so it must have been reported for the cover - or their algorithm bots are clever enough to scan thumbnails.
YouTube and it's 'family friendly' mantra is just ridiculous - what they actually mean is that their infrastructure isn't sophisticated enough to allow tiered advertising - to assert ALL advertisers want 'family' audiences is garbage. How do horror films, adult topics, violent video games, sweary rap songs etc ever survive if that is the case.
Ah, well.
Same as it ever was.
FWD.
A couple of pasties and they'd get around it easy.

I addressed the 'sexual neglect' line in a post on these forums on October 18th (see above for full post)

The line in question: "Seen the effects of sexual neglect [sexual neglect = native Britons not having enough children of their own, with birth rates below replacement level?]"

^^^ I made this claim, now let me explain (in an attempt to show where Morrissey may be coming from in his writing of these lyrics).

Exhibits A through E:

A. https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/606926/Number-migrant-babies-born-UK-SOAR-new-record-high/amp

B. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/23/baby-crisis-europe-brink-depopulation-disaster

C. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1556901.stm

D. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/let-s-talk-about-the-link-between-immigration-and-low-reproduction-rates-1.2926375?mode=amp

E. http://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/05/02/white-british-minority_n_3198600.html

That about covers it. Oh, and:
"Oh no, she didn't win, the voting was rigged -- sorry, I forgot."

View attachment 42701

Ketamine Sun gave my post a 'funny' rating. It's not funny, Ketamine Sun, it is what the song is about. I have seen Johnny Barleycorn and others on these forums in the past wondering what Morrissey's views actually are due to their seeming incoherence, but when analysed thoroughly his views certainly appear to come down on the 'alt-lite' side of proceedings (or 'merchant right' as some of these figures have been called recently, which is apt too in Morrissey's case.)

Alt-lite = pro-Israel/pro-LGBTQ but critical of the identity politics surrounding it/colourblind civic nationalist views but against large-scale immigration/pro-Brexit/critical of Islam (examples: Ann-Marie Waters, Paul Joseph Watson, Marine Le Pen, Tommy Robinson, Nigel Farage, Donald Trump/Steve Bannon to an extent, although they're both also old-fashioned Boomer Conservatives like Bill O'Reilly et al., Milo Yiannopolous, Steven Patrick Morrissey.)

Alt-right = anti-Zionist but in favour of a Zionist-esque future white ethnostate in North America. They are critical of Islam (the alt-lite's focal point) but the alt-right's focal point is linking mass immigration back to Jewish influence in American - and world - affairs (pointing to the ethno-religious make-up of CNN, New York Times, NBC, NPR, most Hollywood studios, 25% of Harvard students, 38% of North American billionaires, etc. Richard Spencer - who was against Brexit and Catalonian independence - is their most prominent face at the moment -- the schism between alt-right and alt-lite occurred after 'hail-gate' in December 2016.)

Morrissey isn't alt-right however, I'm just distinguishing between the two 'alt' movements and their differing belief systems -- although there is some crossover at times. But there is more to it than my brief outline here. The Irish writer Angela Nagle (PhD, Kill All Normies) writes skilfully on the subject from a left of centre and reasonably well-balanced perspective, all things considered.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/...-right-is-really-all-about-1.2926929?mode=amp (Nagle)

http://www.true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_160227_01 (Paul Joseph Watson video posted on True to You, February 2016.)

Screenshot_2017-11-09-09-53-38-1.png

Screenshot_2017-11-09-09-53-09-1.png

Last edited:
Yeah, they were. Great energy from them, the crowd and Moz, but very rudimentary musicianship. Stephen Street talked about them murdering his songs in 1991 for a reason.

The leap in quality in 1992 was profound and they have acknowledged how much they learned from Mick Ronson.

When Ronno was in the studio, they all listened. And learned. Everyone did. He was - and always will be - a Yorkshire Legend. Your Arsenal is - still - superb, today.

But the original statement was not true - the band were doing pretty well in 1991. And to be honest,
they were totally great in the KROQ Studio in 1991 too. As most people have actually heard.

Stephanie Street has murdered a few songs all on his own.

Hazard
x

Her Father seems to had some connection with the mob....I think Jacky is just picked as a easy Name, some would say probally His sister, I read it's about the Union Jack, I think it's maybe a put down at Kristeen Young.

Give Nancy a hug

Er, "seems to had some connection" - replace with "had"

I though most people could "see" Nancy

Heading for the exit.....
Hazard
x

When Ronno was in the studio, they all listened. And learned. Everyone did. He was - and always will be - a Yorkshire Legend. Your Arsenal is - still - superb, today.

But the original statement was not true - the band were doing pretty well in 1991. And to be honest,
they were totally great in the KROQ Studio in 1991 too. As most people have actually heard.

Stephanie Street has murdered a few songs all on his own.

Hazard
x

Well, you are entitled to your opinion. I can't agree with you regarding KROQ though. I listened to My Love Life only a couple of days ago. They really struggled with the tempo and performing a relatively straightforward song.

If Morrissey based on the film Jackie (2016), about the life of Jackie Kennedy after and before the murder of JFK?

I quite like it: a sinister, alienated look at late-stage celebrity. So dark.

Morrissey's voice is the thing - smooth and inimitable. The vocal line itself is curving and infectious, and makes me want to hear it again.

The production is uninspiring, which is a real shame.

I quite like it: a sinister, alienated look at late-stage celebrity. So dark.

Morrissey's voice is the thing - smooth and inimitable. The vocal line itself is curving and infectious, and makes me want to hear it again.

The production is uninspiring, which is a real shame.

I thought the production of spent the day in bed really good but I agree with you here. Funny how you mentioned curving as I thought warped. I liked the word as it made me think of the character warping into a sad person. A disfiguring of of the celebrity standard

Obviously about Brexit - every line relates to a different aspect.

The context at the moment is that people who voted to remain said there would be economic disaster - hence 'they'll make you believe what you will never believe'

Also, they are trying to stop the process - but brexit voters feel it is a betrayal and govt therefore say 'brexit means brexit' - is 'everybody's heading for the exit' (it must happen)

I was wondering why SCENE 2, SCENE 4, SCENE 6... BUT

What was the date when the result of the vote was first SEEN? 24/6 - 24 June.

Well spotted the previous poster who identified the sexual neglect element.

Yes, the implied immigration reflections are close to the bone..

I thought the production of spent the day in bed really good but I agree with you here. Funny how you mentioned curving as I thought warped. I liked the word as it made me think of the character warping into a sad person. A disfiguring of of the celebrity standard

I thought the production was okay, but there's quite prominent background noise (a high frequency note) in the intro, and a pretty basic noise gate would've fixed it, so I found that quite sloppy ngl

I thought the production was okay, but there's quite prominent background noise (a high frequency note) in the intro, and a pretty basic noise gate would've fixed it, so I found that quite sloppy ngl

Come on, that's the sound of transformers/power/tape/rock and roll!

Well spotted though. Ears like yours are the reason producers like me are so paranoid. That said, there are a couple of legitimate reasons why that hiss might be there:

1. If it was produced by the original E-piano, then there's not much you can do about it without compromising the fundamental sound of the instrument. Even with the most sophisticated "intelligent gates" available now - which can pinpoint the offending frequency range with a savant's precision - you'll hear a minor reduction in level somehow. A bit of hiss is a small price to pay for the real (Clyde) McCoy.

2. If it was something else (eg. the lead synth that enters next) then it gets more subtle. It may be that removing the buzz at the beginning actually makes it more jarring when the instrument enters - sometimes it's less distracting to have a consistent hiss throughout the track than alternating it with total silence. This is a problem we didn't have with analog, when there was always a noise floor. With digital, the noise floor is much lower, so you have to take these things into account (see dither for a solution to a related problem). I know there are some people who will even introduce a track of constant tape noise into a mix in order to "normalize" the noise floor and mask edits of other, almost silent, artifacts.

It just makes it harder to hear the guitar line which I really liked and would add some sharpness to a cutting lyric

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom