News reports of Morrissey to write Eurovision song

Re: BBC news link here...

Ah now I see, I wondered who these strange people where.

Call me the older twat with no sense of humor, but I think this is a dreadful idea. One can make the argument that he's shaking up the status quo just by appearing on the same stage as the scrubbed & sanitized performers of the type who usually feature in Eurovision. However, I feel this is one more example of a very stunted middle-age man stuck on a childish (not childlike--big difference) dream. At best, it's a sad attempt to maintain a profile in the popular press. At worst, it's the usual tripe one expects from the Sun.

No one has mentioned this heretofore, perhaps b/c everything has been surface level to this point, but there is a damningly rich irony to the choice of Bucks Fizz as the photo on which to paste Morrissey. Recall that Viva Hate drummer Andrew (MacGibbon) Paresi had done sessions for them shortly before the VH sessions and was advised by Street or someone close to Morrissey to cut his hair and not mention the association, as Morrissey would despise the notion.

Oh, and whilst I'm leaning more on the "cons" than the "pros," doesn't anyone find it a bit frustrating that the band being filmed for the South Bank Show in Pasadena is about as unrepresentative of his 20 solo years as you can get? This retrospective will be lousy if Alain, Boz, or Gary are not asked for their two cents. I could give two shits what Will Self, J. K. Rowling, or the Reverend Bono have to say about him, so it'd better not be "The Importance of...Redux."

Cheers,
Jamie

dear ScottishLass, I take it you are just a poster & not a reader, which would obviously make my post redundant but oh what the hell eh?

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=66948

love

Grim

Grim
Sometimes it's easy to think about posting without being able to check if a story is already up there. For example, on the basis that I, too, hate The Scum, I would have probably ignored Helen's 'The Sun' posting, and not related it to the Eurovision story.

Just reading about anything to do with that 'newspaper' gets my back up.

Anyway, re the ESC - it won't happen, I'm afraid, due to the great British public voter, as others have said. For example, my colleagues at work, who I sent the story to, have said things like "he's finally found his level at last", and that he'd be lowering the tone of the competition, etc.

That polar-opposite reaction from folk on mentioning moz's name will continue, it seems.

I heard this on the Jeremy Vine show and thought it was a joke. This would be excellent.

But err...as I said whilst watching last year's competition: fooking Morrissey cound enter for us and we'd still lose.

I love ya Moz, but we come bottom cos everyone hates us and that's a fact! And I should know!

this will only end in tears, and my friends taking the piss for a long time.

I love ya Moz, but we come bottom cos everyone hates us and that's a fact! And I should know!
That's so not true! First of all I love England and everybody hates us (the Germans), second of all neither France nor Italy, the UK or Germany will ever win again because there are so many small countries in eastern Europe who vote for eachother. That's so boring. We could possibly stand a chance if get rid of Bavaria, get another Berlin Wall and start being nice to our swiss and austrian neighbours :D But it's Morrissey who must win this bloody contest so I have to come up with another masterplan :D

Grim

Anyway, re the ESC - it won't happen, I'm afraid, due to the great British public voter, as others have said. For example, my colleagues at work, who I sent the story to, have said things like "he's finally found his level at last", and that he'd be lowering the tone of the competition, etc.

That polar-opposite reaction from folk on mentioning moz's name will continue, it seems.

Dear WO,
I wouldn't be quite so sure that it won't happen, thinking about it (sad I know), look at it's past, Sandie Shaw did it & Cliff Richard both established stars (crikey - stone me). Look at Moz's history of culture & cultural icons, lot's of 60's female stars etc, even ESC bits & pieces on his last tour.
From ESC viewpoint, Moz came 2nd last month in the cultural icon vote, so they know he's got a fan base that will vote for him, they'll also be aware he's recently toured Europe, so he's going to have voters all around the continent too.
Finally I'd just love to see his version/performance of "My Lovely Horse"! He's got the outfit, I saw him wearing it in 2004.
Please, please, please let me get what I want, this time! :eek:

love

Grim
P.s. Helsinki here I come!!! Any Finlanders need a backscrubber for a couple of days in May?

Would I be correct in saying that a person who is on a record deal cannot sing at Eurovision?

It would be great if Morrissey would write the song and sing it, but I can't see it, he might well write a song, but I doubt he'll perform it. As for the British nation, well according to voting patterns we like having a nation of losers, so some skanky chav will end up rapping about the skidmarks on his underpants to Turkey's disgust.

Mmmm... Why should someone like Morrissey risk his prestige entering as a ¡contestant! (please!!) in a cheesy corny festival as Eurovision!!! That's a luxury only someone like him can give to himself, almost as a guilty pleasure or a joke. I don't approve it, but if that's what he really wants, then he's in the obligation to win... BTW, what's the system to make a song win? is the people involved voting by phone or Internet, or it just depends on contest judges?

Would I be correct in saying that a person who is on a record deal cannot sing at Eurovision?

No you're wrong. I don't know how anybody could possibly sign those idiots but the last German contestants all had a deal. In fact (but maybe that's just us) you have to be in the charts (Top 50 I guess) to take part.
But who cares? If Mozza wants to do this they'll definitely find a way to get him in - I mean: he's famous throughout Europe! I don't think this has been the case in the last 10 years or so.

Reminds me of the Killarney gig last year,
"I'm very privileged to have been asked to represent Ireland in this year's Eurovision Song Contest. I hope you enjoy our entry"
He then launched into "Life is a Pigsty"

On a serious note I'm definitely in favour of him performing, I could see him running away with the competition, and that would be unimaginably cool!

Morrissey will not be denied, and will not deny himself, the things that gave him pleasure in his childhood. He helped reform the Dolls so he could sit in the front row and finally make good on that concert that never was. He enjoys Carry On films and lots of singers that many think are frankly awful. I assume Eurovision is another "guilty pleasure" that only other people feel guilty about.

nme.com has picked up on the story, and used that most unflattering picture, again.

No, you wouldn't be correct, many countries are actually represented by their well-established singers (which only goes to show how pathetic their music industry is).

Before he decides on this, I hope he sees the recordings of some previous ESC's. I mean, it becomes more dreadful by the year. I think so far we only haven't seen singing elephants and bearded ladies to make the circus complete. Unless you have 48279 dancers, 287698679 people doing some obsolete drum-banging, an amazon outfit and 12 neighbouring countries to give you douze points there's no way you'll end up in the first 15, no matter how good you are. I'd really love to see him in ESC and would probably die with my finger on the mobile phone but I'd hate to see him lounge on the bottom of the list (which is one of the most-likely scenarios, unless something like Lordi's unexpectable success happens again). In other words, it's a daring idea but needs more cost-benefit analisys. Let's see what happens in the following few months (if he decides to do it and wins the national contest).

and PS. before someone asks, no, ESC doesn't require their contestants to be virgins, either :D

I heard this on the Jeremy Vine show and thought it was a joke. This would be excellent.

But err...as I said whilst watching last year's competition: fooking Morrissey cound enter for us and we'd still lose.

I believe it, lilybeth. I've always wondered how much the political climate and ancient disputes factor in when these voting panels check out the talent from each entry.

I was under the impression that Eurovision was an amateur talent show where the contestants use some cheap little gimmick to catch the attention of the voting panel. Is this accurate? Or is this theory based on me watching old Benny Hill skits slightly misleading?

Morrissey's entry would definately spice up the competion with a "Dear God Please Help Me" style ballad, but I don't want him to lose to a singing Spanish dwarf in a matador costume, either. Can this really happen?

This has to happen. The past year's been incredibly dull for Moz fans, so this'll be something to look forward to. Eurovision is just the sort of inherently homo, camp nonsense that Moggsy loves, too. This is a man who has covered songs by Cilla Black and Twinkle; he's put Charles Hawtrey on a record sleeve; he's written songs for Nancy Sinatra and, lest we forget, a former Eurovision winner!

Oh, I forgot... Morrissey's just the Pope Of Mope, innee? Yeah, he's the soundtrack to your virginal suicide phase... how dare he have a sense of humour...

Alternatively, he could have a sex change and represent Israel?

Viva La Diva! Viva la Mozza!

He mentioned it (ESC) a lot in the 2004 Malmo gig, also said "here is our entry" then launched into meat is murder...i think.

I actually hope he does do it because it'll be nice to see him and hear him....any chance to see him is great, yet i can't see this happening it's become quite a media "frenzy" that it's been mentioned everywhere without any real information or reply by morrissey....i'd like him to do it, but he won't...BUT i want to be proven wrong.

It's not like him to write a song for anyone but himself and i can't see him giving a hit away...if he writes it, he should sing it.

Last edited:
I think it's a storm in a teacup myself. His comments about being on it were tongue in cheek and I think the BBC is stretching the truth a bit for some cheap publicity.

Also, at SXSW he said he was a fan when he was twelve but is not interested in the competition these days.

Back
Top Bottom