NFL.com commercial

Hmmmmm

This NFL commercial continues still. The cover is nauseating and the thought of Morrissey giving permission is very saddening. What is next?...
"Interesting Drug" for Walgreens?
Hershey's using "Let Me Kiss You"
Lipitor using "Now My Heart Is Full"

Have you read the link I posted on page 2 #25?

Morrissey is not directly involved giving permission to the commertial.

They don't need his permission, I'm pretty sure about that.

Some car company, not sure which, wanted to use Van Halens "You really got me" (which of course isn't even their song) but they said no.

They just hired another band. Problem solved.

"Everyday is Like Sunday" during my NFL game? WTF

Has anyone else noticed the NFL's commercial that happens to have a certain Steven Patrick Morrissey's song "Everyday is Like Sunday" playing in the background. I wonder how he feels having this song promoting those meat thirsty NFLers??

Re: "Everyday is Like Sunday" during my NFL game? WTF

Thanks JJ, haven't been around is a while.

I heard this as well, and have to say that it's irked me so much that I decided to register for this site simply to voice my disgust.

While I've loved the Smiths and Morrissey-solo for decades (scary, that it's actually been "decades" at this point), I've been finding Morrissey's ill-informed and naive proselytizing increasingly banal. I've been getting tired of going to concerts to hear him preach to the choir, and tired of his knee-jerk reactions to political/social issues that he doesn't understand. I was able to put up with all his childish behaviour because I convinced myself that, while he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, he certainly "meant well". That, and the guy has a truly heavenly voice.

But this has crossed a line. Licensing the rights to his song to the NFL, of all people? I have no idea how someone can prostitute their art like that and still expect people to take it seriously.

Don't bother coming back to Canada, Moz. There are enough flakey hypocrits in this country already. We'll just listen for your music on ipod commercials.

J.

Have you read the link I posted on page 2 #25?

Morrissey is not directly involved giving permission to the commertial.

I heard this as well, and have to say that it's irked me so much that I decided to register for this site simply to voice my disgust.

While I've loved the Smiths and Morrissey-solo for decades (scary, that it's actually been "decades" at this point), I've been finding Morrissey's ill-informed and naive proselytizing increasingly banal. I've been getting tired of going to concerts to hear him preach to the choir, and tired of his knee-jerk reactions to political/social issues that he doesn't understand. I was able to put up with all his childish behaviour because I convinced myself that, while he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, he certainly "meant well". That, and the guy has a truly heavenly voice.

But this has crossed a line. Licensing the rights to his song to the NFL, of all people? I have no idea how someone can prostitute their art like that and still expect people to take it seriously.

Don't bother coming back to Canada, Moz. There are enough flakey hypocrits in this country already. We'll just listen for your music on ipod commercials.

J.

I have to quote myself because you haven't read all the posts in this thread.

I have to quote myself because you haven't read all the posts in this thread.

I did indeed read all the posts in the thread. I also read all the posts in the thread that your post linked to (despite having to stare at that ungodly Sarah Pallin .gif). And while I'd like to believe that Morrissey wasn't consulted for permission on this, I don't.

I'll admit that I have no idea what the terms of his contract were when he made Viva Hate, but he inherently owns the copyright to those lyrics, and I doubt an artist of his stature would have felt compelled to give up full copyright control to a record company. I also doubt that an entity as large as the NFL would have used his song without getting specific permission, as Morrissey is notorious for suing people, and the legal issues involving copyright can often be quite murky. The NFL would have no reason to expose themselves to that.

In regards to this whole "artists aren't asked permission to use their songs" theory...this is totally not true. Tom Waits consistently refuses to allow his work to be used in commercials and wins lawsuits from companies that even somewhat try to copy his music. Granted, I'm sure the two have wildly different contracts as Waits writes his own music as well, but you see my point.

Anyway, I hope you're right, Kewpie. I don't claim to be an expert on this or anything. But from where I'm sitting, this whole business stinks to high heaven.

J.

I did indeed read all the posts in the thread. I also read all the posts in the thread that your post linked to (despite having to stare at that ungodly Sarah Pallin .gif). And while I'd like to believe that Morrissey wasn't consulted for permission on this, I don't.

I'll admit that I have no idea what the terms of his contract were when he made Viva Hate, but he inherently owns the copyright to those lyrics, and I doubt an artist of his stature would have felt compelled to give up full copyright control to a record company. I also doubt that an entity as large as the NFL would have used his song without getting specific permission, as Morrissey is notorious for suing people, and the legal issues involving copyright can often be quite murky. The NFL would have no reason to expose themselves to that.

In regards to this whole "artists aren't asked permission to use their songs" theory...this is totally not true. Tom Waits consistently refuses to allow his work to be used in commercials and wins lawsuits from companies that even somewhat try to copy his music. Granted, I'm sure the two have wildly different contracts as Waits writes his own music as well, but you see my point.

Anyway, I hope you're right, Kewpie. I don't claim to be an expert on this or anything. But from where I'm sitting, this whole business stinks to high heaven.

J.

please don't initial your posts. it's pretentious and annoying.

and it's HIS song. not yours. give it a rest. it's promotion and some publicity. hmm. wasn't publicity non-existant for the greatest hits LP and CDs?

J.

You didn't read the link, just saw a user Not Right in the Head's Sarah Palin gif.
The link I was directing is the following post:

I just need a description of the commercial and a rough idea when it was shown .. as far as I know it has only been shown on T.V there are a lot of different promo spots for this movie .. A number of people have posted about it , I don't know anything about it and since I wrote the song it is very important to me to find out if they are using it.
Thank you for your help
Tim Polecat

BTW, do you know you can turn off other users' signatures?
Click User CP on top left of forum index, click edit options on the left, you'll find thread display settings in the middle.

Last edited:
Are the NFL Nazis or something?

What's so terrible about having your song used to advertise a sports programme? Match of the Day would use indie band songs all the time and no one seemed to mind.

I just don't understand the fuss.

OMG... I can now say I've heard this gawd-awful "Sunday" cover. :sick:

On a positive note, the Bears stuffed the Eagles 3x at the goal line at the end of the 4th Q and hung on & win 24-20 :guitar:

Freaking Eagles, knocked out my dysfunctional (but entertaining) Cowboys...:(

Regarding the song, the problem I have is the song's lyrics are completely antithetical to what the advertisement purports. That, and it's a bastardized cover version...

and it's HIS song. not yours. give it a rest. it's promotion and some publicity. hmm. wasn't publicity non-existant for the greatest hits LP and CDs?

No kidding it's his song. What's your point? Isn't this entire forum based on commenting on his music? What's annoying is when people like you think they can somehow negate someone else's opinion on an issue by pointing out the brutally obvious, as if they hadn't considered this before.

Morrissey can obviously do whatever the hell he wants with his music, but as a fan, I find it corrupts the song, and what the song used to mean to me. Not to mention, it makes me lose even more respect for someone whose music had a major influence on me as a teenager.

I do realize that as fans, many of us (myself included), hold these artists up on a higher pedestal than they deserve, but when you have someone like Morrissey, who really comes off as "holier-than-thou" in the first place, and then allows his music to be used by an organization that seems almost the antithesis of what he supposedly stands for...well, to me, that's a sellout.

I know I probably take this sort of thing too seriously. There aren't many artists left that I would even take the time to bother with something like this, given the fact that so many of them prostitute their music to commercials and the like. But Morrissey/The Smiths has always meant a great deal to me, and it's sickening to see this sort of thing happen.

please don't initial your posts. it's pretentious and annoying.

You're quite right about this, however.

Are the NFL Nazis or something?

What's so terrible about having your song used to advertise a sports programme? Match of the Day would use indie band songs all the time and no one seemed to mind.

I just don't understand the fuss.

I dislike some films used Smiths songs as soundtrack, but they don't make me upset.

Those are good opportunities for Morrissey and other members of The Smiths to reach wider audience and get recognition they deserve.

EDIT
In fact, publishing company sends promo CDs to advertising agencies:
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=93117

Three out of four members of The Smiths are vegetarians, I think they instructed the publishing company not accept some offers from the companies which sell / produce specific products such as meat, leather goods etc.

Last edited:
Kewpie,

Not trying to be difficult, but I just don't understand how that link that you provided exhonerates Morrissey from this whole business. If you're pointing out that some writers don't necessarily have to sign off on their work, then point taken. Unless I'm missing something, I think that's what you're saying. But, I still revert back to my earlier point about doubting that Moz wouldn't have retained copyright over his solo stuff.

Thanks for the response though, and the info on the signatures.

Back
Top Bottom