Nice little Morrissey-story by David Walliams

Ross mentioned Moz loving Star Town on his show at one point, too. The awkwardness of the taxi..who wouldn't feel the same in that situation? Nice little snippet, thanks.

BBC iplayer doesn't work in Republic of Ireland.
Anyone want to paraphrase or give us the gist of what the story is about?

BBC iplayer doesn't work in Republic of Ireland.
Anyone want to paraphrase or give us the gist of what the story is about?

David Walliams shared a taxi with Morrissey when they both went to Jonathan Ross' house, and said it was a bit tense/awkward ('our knees were touching') and when they got there they watched Star Town, which Morrissey loved and Walliams didn't. Basically..

Walliams' camp routine has gone stale.
Ross is only funny when he's controversial but I'm a little surprised that Morrissey would be friends with such types. I suppose he had to lose the common touch at some stage.
He doesn't live the life we lead any more - he's gone all London and Hollywood. Which is fair enough.
I think this is his future - being the well-respected friend of those who court the media. Saddens me, but "it's his life to live, his own way."

Ross is only funny when he's controversial but I'm a little surprised that Morrissey would be friends with such types. I suppose he had to lose the common touch at some stage.
He doesn't live the life we lead any more - he's gone all London and Hollywood. Which is fair enough.
I think this is his future - being the well-respected friend of those who court the media. Saddens me, but "it's his life to live, his own way."

When, exactly, did Morrissey ever have "the common touch". When, exactly, did he live the life "we" lead. I'd say Morrissey had gone "all London and Hollywood" by the age of nine.
So cheer up luv eh? :)

When, exactly, did Morrissey ever have "the common touch". When, exactly, did he live the life "we" lead. I'd say Morrissey had gone "all London and Hollywood" by the age of nine.
So cheer up luv eh? :)

When he was in his early 20s, walking the streets in the rain wondering when life was going to improve - I'd say he had the common touch then, love. His late 20s depression, sounds like a pretty common problem to me, love.
Now, you can answer my questions: do you know how to use a question mark, love?

Cheery enough for you, love?

I don't think Morrissey has ever been 'common'. It certainly doesn't seem like it. As for hanging out with other famous people from time to time - don't you also hang out with people from your work and people you might meet at parties you go to? There's nothing to suggest that Morrissey hangs out with other famous people all the time, but if he has some friends/acquaintances who also happen to be famous and he'd like to come over for dinner or got to a restaurant, I don't see why that means he's gone 'London or Hollywood'. It just means he's hanging out with some people he wanted to hang out with at that moment - that's all.

Walliams about Moz, Chris Evans Breakfast Show. I think they talk about M 3 times in the show (haven't listened to all of it) and those 3 times are included in the MP3 below - I thought they might call Walliams' mother to hear what she thought of Morrissey but I couldn't find it, so maybe they didn't:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BLKLYYMI

I hate all this "Morrissey's changed so much, blah blah blah" schtick. Of course he's bloody changed: for one thing, it's no longer 1983 and his life will inevitably be quite different. I suppose this is partly what he means when he talks about people living in the past. An example of that is you basically saying that because he no longer mentions his depression in every interview (bearing in mind that we have no real evidence that he doesn't still suffer with it) somehow makes him worlds away from everyone else or renders what he does less valid. He's right; it is irksome.

And who is this collective 'we' anyway? No-one leads an identical life to anyone else on this planet, so to claim that he's no longer 'one of us' just because he's made a natural progression through his career and is friends with well-known people baffles me. I'd be very surprised if he didn't still face the same everyday problems that lots of people do, and I'd say the fact that he's still able to articulate that in his music matters a damn sight more than who his friends are. That's what I'd call "the common touch".

Last edited:

God I hate when people on this site go on like this, approving and disapproving of who Morrissey keeps as friends based on whether you find them entertaining/funny/interesting or not. The fact that this "saddens" you is just sad in itself.

Back
Top Bottom