Nick Cave on Morrissey (Conversations with Nick Cave, May 3, 2018 in New York)

9 Things We Learned From Nick Cave's Open Forum Q&A by Kory Grow, RollingStone, May 4. 2018

Excerpt:

7. He became a Smiths fan late in life.

When a fan asked if he ever came around to any of the bands he'd written off in the Eighties, Cave named a few. The Cure and the Smiths," he said. "I just kept hearing songs [by the Smiths] and thinking, 'f***, that guy's a really good lyric writer. I thought I was the only one.'" The audience laughed. "So I'm glad I didn't know too much about the at the time because I think I would have given up, but [Morrissey] is a great, great writer. Strange man, but … a brave man."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...learned-from-nick-caves-open-forum-qa-w519832

Blixa's got more interesting shit to do.

But still... when you realize that there are albums recorded by Nick Cave, Blixa Bargeld, Barry Adamson, Mick Harvey and Hugo Race... If that was not a "supergroup", then no other band can be described with those words.

urb don't hold back now,let it all out.
I just did, do you want more?

I am being far too kind on that welfae junkie Nick Cave. I could reveal somehing really sickening about him but google is your friend.

I found List of the Lost intriguing. It held my attention. The prose was so dense it was like nothing I'd ever read before, sort of 'OCD Beatnik'. I love the fact that the plot is always just out of reach and the way Morrissey ignores all of the rules of fiction-writing, almost demonically-possessing his characters for brief periods to rant his views. It's a unique reading experience. If it fails as a novel, it succeeds as a new iteration of what a novel can be.

To be fair, you and other kool aiders on here would love it if Morrissey wrote a fart. Any fart.

Bungalow.

That stuff about Johnny Cash was pretty deep. Never heard that. I'll tell you what, Johnny was givin' it everything he got for the music.
Nick is a good dude. He was real good to Shane McGowan on his last birthday.
It might of took Nick some time to come around on Moz, but that was some high praise he gave him.

I agree. Nick Cave is a considerable talent and his comments on Morrissey, no matter how belated, are most welcome.

Not at all that man only works when you shoot the shit up your vein IN THE FOOKING EYEBALL.
Man, he hasn't shot up anything since the 90's. That's why he went softer than Elton John at a titty bar.

So from the comments here ( I refuse to read the interview) Cave is indeed like I always suspected a Cash wannabe with those black clothes.

LOL

I was gonna call him a talentless Cash and then he admits to being just that. Aussies are so far behind but they live on another planet.

Man, he hasn't shot up anything since the 90's. That's why he went softer than Elton John at a titty bar.
His looks tells us otherwise. Cave looks like a freak show presenter from a freak show circus travelling the dusty roads of USA over 100 years ago.

Is Marily Manson Nick Cave when not wearing make up?

I think so!

His looks tells us otherwise. Cave looks like a freak show presenter from a freak show circus travelling the dusty roads of USA over 100 years ago.

Is Marily Manson Nick Cave when not wearing make up?

I think so!
You and your typos! Marilyn Manson is Nick CAGE when not wearing makeup. Nick just looks like a 60 year old guy who had some decent hair plugs done. At least he got to shave the pedophile mustache since he no longer had to draw attention from his bald top.

I think you confuse Moz with Hitler but the idea appeals to me and is why I am a fan of both.
He's not nearly influential enough to be Hitler. Not even at his peak. I take him for a grouchy grandpa that should either shut up and make music more often, or go and bore all of the other grandpas with his political schtick. He could also go and do a Henry Big Brains Rollins tour of boring blah blah, but I'm afraid not many people would go.

You and your typos! Marilyn Manson is Nick CAGE when not wearing makeup. Nick just looks like a 60 year old guy who had some decent hair plugs done. At least he got to shave the pedophile mustache since he no longer had to draw attention from his bald top.

Mods create my typos which is why they appear in every post and had you paid any notice I have mentioned that before.

I am bullied.

To be fair, you and other kool aiders on here would love it if Morrissey wrote a fart. Any fart.

Bungalow.
Thanks for your input.

I've never been into Nick Cave, but I can see why people are fans of his.

The weird idea that Morrissey got "worse" does not make any kind of sense to me. His solo work is actually better than what he recorded with the Smiths.

Nick Cave's albums WERE fantastic... since the early Boys Next door / Birthday Party albums till "Henry's Dream"... what he did after "Henry's Dream", I honestly do not get it.
"From Her to Eternity" is certainly one of the best albums ever recorded.

Anyway... he said that he likes the songwriting style of Morrissey... It is a bit weird to try to twist his words and proclaim that he didn't say what he said. I saw the words forming in his mouth.

Sometimes the conspiracy forums make more sense than some people here.

P.S, Bring back Blixa to the Bad seeds!!!!
I'll agree with you to a point. With the exception of a few tracks solo was better than the smiths as a whole later on. But I feel that Morrissey, having no real problems and living fairly luxuriously with his designer clothes, jet set lifestyle, and yes men probably struggles a bit to relate. I like some of the recent tracks and thinks he's sounding great while also putting on great live shows still. Nick cave is still putting out good stuff and his live shows are pretty incredible. They're different though. I'd liken a Morrissey show to seeing the pope. Just pure adoration, while Nick's shows are more southern revival working the crowd into a fervor.

The short cuts of the press in general and of Rolling Stone in particular.

Since when, when you appreciate a band and like the lyrics, you're de facto a fan ? Cave didn't present himself as a Smiths fan, did he.

I made it about 10 pages in and gave up. It's been collecting dust on the bookshelf ever since.

You did better than I did. I gave up after one page and put it on the book shelf..... where it's sat ever since. Maybe I'll have another attempt one day. Maybe.

I do enjoy Nick Cave. He's a good artist to dip in and out off from time to time. Abattoir Blues is an essential in my collection, the rest I can take or leave. I think the main point is he's still releasing good music and is an interesting character.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom