Nick Cave on Morrissey - new issue of the Red Hand Files

Nick Cave on Morrissey - The Red Hand Files - Issue #48

Excerpt:

Open debate and conversation are the very structure of civilisation, and in Nottingham it was a privilege to be challenged by this very thoughtful young man. However, even though I was unsatisfied by my own response, I still believe that despite how upsetting Morrissey’s views may be to the marginalised and dispossessed members of society, or anyone else for that matter, he still should have the freedom to express his views, just as others should have the freedom to challenge them – even if just to know in what guise their enemy may appear. The charge that defending a person’s right to their opinions somehow aligns one with their views makes no sense at all and strikes at the heart of the problem itself – that of conflating the concept of free speech with bigotry. This is very dangerous territory indeed.

...Perhaps it is better to simply let Morrissey have his views, challenge them when and wherever possible, but allow his music to live on, bearing in mind we are all conflicted individuals – messy, flawed and prone to lunacies. We should thank God that there are some among us that create works of beauty beyond anything most of us can barely imagine, even as some of those same people fall prey to regressive and dangerous belief systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s all fine, but let’s be honest here; Nick is a far better lyricist and songwriter. The majority of his work has been much better than any of Morrissey’s work over the last 20 to 25 years. I’m not saying that Morrissey hasn’t written any incredible songs during that period, but overall, there is no comparison.

Reminds me what he said about Morrissey 25 years or so ago - basically, not interested in his songs at all, but every time I read his statements, I think it is clever and interesting.

Reminds me what he said about Morrissey 25 years or so ago - basically, not interested in his songs at all, but every time I read his statements, I think it is clever and interesting.

Back when Moz was clever and interesting.

how the yay sayers overlook the last sentence:

"even as some of those same people fall prey to regressive and dangerous belief systems." canny be more explicit

Nick Cave on Morrissey - The Red Hand Files - Issue #48

Excerpt:

Open debate and conversation are the very structure of civilisation, and in Nottingham it was a privilege to be challenged by this very thoughtful young man. However, even though I was unsatisfied by my own response, I still believe that despite how upsetting Morrissey’s views may be to the marginalised and dispossessed members of society, or anyone else for that matter, he still should have the freedom to express his views, just as others should have the freedom to challenge them – even if just to know in what guise their enemy may appear. The charge that defending a person’s right to their opinions somehow aligns one with their views makes no sense at all and strikes at the heart of the problem itself – that of conflating the concept of free speech with bigotry. This is very dangerous territory indeed.

...Perhaps it is better to simply let Morrissey have his views, challenge them when and wherever possible, but allow his music to live on, bearing in mind we are all conflicted individuals – messy, flawed and prone to lunacies. We should thank God that there are some among us that create works of beauty beyond anything most of us can barely imagine, even as some of those same people fall prey to regressive and dangerous belief systems.

NOBODY is stopping Morrissey expressing his views. Nobody.

Just as nobody is stopping anyone calling him a twat for expressing his views.

It is 100% the exact same thing.

That’s all fine, but let’s be honest here; Nick is a far better lyricist and songwriter. The majority of his work has been much better than any of Morrissey’s work over the last 20 to 25 years. I’m not saying that Morrissey hasn’t written any incredible songs during that period, but overall, there is no comparison.

Skeleton Tree > LIHS, 100%

That's not the point, you nomad

that of conflating the concept of free speech with bigotry.

It's because "racist" speech is just about the only kind of speech anyone has any interest in suppressing anymore. No one cares if you protest global capitalism or foreign wars. No one is trying to shut down people advocating pro-gay or trans rights. Even pedophilia apologists are allowed a voice.

So when people talk about "free speech", they really are talking about "the right to be racist" because there is a consensus that all other forms of speech are permissible.

So when people talk about "free speech", they really are talking about "the right to be racist" because there is a consensus that all other forms of speech are permissible.

You are literally the most delusional, disgusting creature on the website, and that is saying a lot! Your comment not only shows how out of touch with reality you are, but also serves as an example of how ideological brainwashing can really affect an individual; in this case-you. Your life must be so sad and lonely to be so afraid of everyone and everything.

You are literally the most delusional, disgusting creature on the website, and that is saying a lot! Your comment not only shows how out of touch with reality you are, but also serves as an example of how ideological brainwashing can really affect an individual; in this case-you. Your life must be so sad and lonely to be so afraid of everyone and everything.

Feel free to make an argument anytime you want. When you think of one, I'll be right here.

Feel free to make an argument anytime you want. When you think of one, I'll be right here.

You’re not worth it, sorry. You don’t have to be a member of MENSA to know what my argument would be. The fact that everything revolves around the concept of “race” to you, is enough satisfaction for me to know that you are a very sad individual. You’re an admitted white-nationalist, and that’s all that I need to know about you.

You’re not worth it, sorry. You don’t have to be a member of MENSA to know what my argument would be. The fact that everything revolves around the concept of “race” to you, is enough satisfaction for me to know that you are a very sad individual. You’re an admitted white-nationalist, and that’s all that I need to know about you.

T8egYQl.jpg

Very well put by Nick Cave, I think he really nails it. I disagree with a lot of Morrissey's views, even though I don't think what he actually says is as bad as people make out. Morrissey says X, then people take X and amplify it 10 fold and start talking about Nazis and bullshit like that. But in the end I still love the music, so I just push passed a lot of what he says because it ultimately just doesn't matter. Its just an old man's views. If you can't overlook it and do as Cave suggests and have a relationship with the music, or, you don't like the music as well as the things he says ... then ... just leave? Go focus on things you do like which enrich your life more.

It’s a pity thick Steven can’t take any criticism whatsoever. He demands freedom of speech then goes on a petty rampage about people having an opinion on him.

What a cretin he’s become.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom