Nick Cave speaks about Morrissey's tone in Shortlist interview - NME

I truly think he is the best songwriter on the planet at this moment , last album was just genius .... very languid and moody ... but his lyrics are both beautiful and funny .... and his use of the c word is beyond comparison ( kiss me again , rekiss me , then kiss me , slip your frigid hand beneath my shirt , this useless old f***er and his twinkling c*** doesnt care if he gets hurt) His novel " death of bunny munro" is again f***ed up and hilarious. Boatmans call was my introduction and pretty much everything since then is highly recommended .... but all his stuff is never below v.good.

Nick Cave WAS one of the best songwriters on the planet who found inspiration through women, struggles, and redemption. Ignoring his work in The Boys Next Door and The Birthday Party, it is safe to say that he had one of the most rewarding creative streaks in modern recording history from the mid-1980s till 2001--with Kicking Against the Pricks excluded. His and the Bad Seeds succession of 10 quality albums in a row is almost unparalleled, especially once Your Funeral, My Trial really kicked things into gear. I struggle to pick a favorite album, but I throughly enjoy The Good Son, Let Love In, and The Boatman's Call to this day (the first half of Henry's Dream gets an honorable mention).

But Nocturama was the disaster that changed things, and things have not recovered since. Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus was a decent bounce back, but it is overstuffed and filled with b-sides (take the first six songs on Abattoir Blues, add on the last four songs from Lyre of Orpheus, and presto, you have a solid Nick Cave album). Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! is verse-chorus-verse bar rock slop, while Push the Sky Away is throw away Warren Ellis soundtrack recordings littered with uninspired lyrics. And then there's the current live show, which sees the band playing way too loud and behaving like an arena rock band, while Nick runs around and does his "thing."

Nick said a while ago that he's spent his entire career trying to impress Mick Harvey, and he couldn't have been more honest. Mick was the man who pushed Nick out of his comfort zone. The man who said "No." to him. The man who told him he could do better, and got the best out of him. I recognize the fact that he was involved with three of the albums I've mentioned as being sub-par, but sometimes you just have to work with what you've got.

Additionally, if any of you Nick Cave fans want a masterpiece of an album, I urge you to seek out Rowland S. Howard's "Teenage Snuff Film." Trust me, it's a true work of art.

Last edited:
I wish I could like Nick Cave. I am sure I'm missing out on quite a bit.

Perhaps keep it simple and buy The Best of Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds and also go see his solo show this December at State Theatre, Sydney.

CR

Last edited:
Are you actually a Sydneysider? No point making the suggestion to go see Cave here if you're not. Lol. CR

I am a Sydney sider. It would be a big jump to go from not really being into Nick Cave to seeing him live but I guess anything is possible. The only album of his I own is that double one of Abbotoir Blues and Lyre Of Orpheus. I also bought the live DVD of that gig he did around the same time. I saw it on SBS and was impressed with his moves but I have to say I haven't listened to the album much since I bought it. It might be time to catch up with it.

Get over your Utøya obsession. It's just disturbing. I'm Norwegian and I hate to see you - yes, you, and nobody else - feasting on this tragedy over and over again. The whole thing was f***ed up, but it was a minor tragedy compared to a lot of other things going on in the world every day. This is a fact, deal with it and shut up.

Well I'm English, but it doesn't surprise me a few Norwegian scum support Morrissey's cynical use of the deaths of teenagers to gain himself some extra column inches. Next time, if there is any justice at all, it will be a member of your family killed in a terror attack and used for the benefit of Morrissey's crumbling career. Then you can enjoy that too, you revolting piece of shit.

In other news, Lublin has a fine oncology hospital apparently...

Last edited:
Well I'm English, but it doesn't surprise me a few Norwegian scum support Morrissey's cynical use of the deaths of teenagers to gain himself some extra column inches. Next time, if there is any justice at all, it will be a member of your family killed in a terror attack and used for the benefit of Morrissey's crumbling career. Then you can enjoy that too, you revolting piece of shit.

The voice of stupidity strikes again....from behind the fake name of Barleycorn. You are a coward Cornhole. A gutless coward.

Anybody with a brain knows that Morrissey made a mistake with that comment. You however, never make mistakes....that's why you hide behind a fake name and pontificate.

Last edited by a moderator:
The voice of stupidity strikes again....from behind the fake name of Barleycorn. You are a coward Cornhole. A gutless coward.

Anybody with a brain knows that Morrissey made a mistake with that comment. You however, never make mistakes....that's why you hide behind a fake name and pontificate.

I noticed how your disdain for user names, and mockery, is reserved for only those with opposing views. See how silly that ad hominem is? I'd let that one go. InsultFail.

I noticed how your disdain for user names, and mockery, is reserved for only those with opposing views. See how silly that ad hominem is? I'd let that one go. InsultFail.

Did you even notice what Cornhole said?

People like Cornhole that curse others and generally insult over and over again deserve the disdain shoved their way. Actually they deserve to be punched in the face.

Did you even notice what Cornhole said?

People like Cornhole that curse others and generally insult over and over again deserve the disdain shoved their way. Actually they deserve to be punched in the face.

Johnny is a gentleman. I have never seen him use profanity or ad hominem insults to try to win an argument. He uses logic and facts. The guy is a rare gem on this forum. I don't agree with all his opinions. But I respect him and his right to express them. You could learn a thing or two form his methods of debate. Pay attention!

wishing death on someone's family, you really are disgusting barleycorn

Isn't it obvious that this Cornhole character is mentally deficient? What other explanation is there? His/hers (its?) behaviour isn't what you might call sane or healthy. Unpleasant doesn't cover it.

Nick Cave on the other hand is quite brilliant. Great lyrics, often very interesting music and a strong voice. His latest album is one of his very best and most intriguing. Atmospheric, melancholy, reflective. Check it out!

Johnny is a gentleman. I have never seen him use profanity or ad hominem insults to try to win an argument. He uses logic and facts. The guy is a rare gem on this forum. I don't agree with all his opinions. But I respect him and his right to express them. You could learn a thing or two form his methods of debate. Pay attention!

You know what RB....I've given you too much credit. I thought you could actually think...I was wrong.

Nothing you said above is true.

You know what RB....I've given you too much credit. I thought you could actually think...I was wrong.

Nothing you said above is true.

Let me make this clear once and for all. Your opinion of me and my intelligence, beauty, creativity etc., etc., does not in any way alter, effect, diminish, or strengthen who I am. Not even the slightest. So I will continue to be me, remaining true to myself, even if your opinion swings to and fro, north and south, or from positive to negative.

Let me make this clear once and for all. Your opinion of me and my intelligence, beauty, creativity etc., etc., does not in any way alter, effect, diminish, or strengthen who I am. Not even the slightest. So I will continue to be me, remaining true to myself, even if your opinion swings to and fro, north and south, or from positive to negative.

I know this RB....and in this regard you are not dissimilar to BrummieBoy.

Your narcissism keeps you from becoming a full formed human being...even to the point of denying the truth as it slaps you in the face.

youve never seen barleycorn use profanity or insults? Really? You must either have a very selective memory or have him on ignore, what about the time he called morrissey a c*** and wished him a slow horrible death?

I know this RB....and in this regard you are not dissimilar to BrummieBoy.

Your narcissism keeps you from becoming a full formed human being...even to the point of denying the truth as it slaps you in the face.

You are a firefighter. Your job/expertise is putting out fires. You do not have a degree in psychology/psychiatry. So stop with the armchair analyzing. I do not have NPD. I have a healthy, positive self-esteem. Big difference. You don't even know me or BB. You read a few of our posts on a message forum. Nobody in my real life thinks I am even remotely narcissistic. They use descriptors like: confident, assertive, strong. Your oversimplification of me keeps you from seeing a real, fully materialized person. I have more layers and depth than the San Andreas fault. You just only have the tools to measure the shallow things on the surface.

youve never seen barleycorn use profanity or insults? Really? You must either have a very selective memory or have him on ignore, what about the time he called morrissey a c*** and wished him a slow horrible death?

Well, maybe he has occasionally resorted to lame tactics. As have I. But as a general rule he refrains form simple, lazy character assignations and instead uses his large vocabulary and effective writing skills to persuade and debate.

Good morning Jehne!
Keene - love your Avatar!

[spoken]
I've heard people say that
Too much of anything is not good for you, baby
Oh no
But I don't know about that
There's many times that we've loved
We've shared love and made love
It doesn't seem to me like it's enough
There's just not enough of it
There's just not enough
Oh oh, babe

[sung]
My darling, I can't get enough of your love babe
Girl, I don't know, I don't know why
Can't get enough of your love babe
Oh, some things I can't get used to
No matter how I try
Just like the more you give, the more I want
And baby, that's no lie
Oh no, babe

Tell me, what can I say?
What am I gonna do?
How should I feel when everything is you?
What kind of love is this that you're givin' me?
Is it in your kiss or just because you're sweet?

Girl, all I know is every time you're here
I feel the change
Somethin' moves
I scream your name
Do whatcha got to do [?]

Darling, I can't get enough of your love babe
Girl, I don't know, I don't know, I don't know why
I can't get enough of your love babe
Oh no, babe

Girl, if I could only make you see
And make you understand
Girl, your love for me is all I need
And more than I can stand
Oh well, babe

How can I explain all the things I feel?
You've given me so much
Girl, you're so unreal
Still I keep loving you
More and more each time
Girl, what am I gonna do
Because you blow my mind

I get the same old feelin' every time you're here
I feel the change
Somethin' moves
I scream your name
Do whatcha got to do [?]

Darling, I can't get enough of your love babe