Nick Kent talks Morrissey and The Smiths in DN interview - Fredrik Strage / Morrissey 61 Facebook group

An anonymous person sends the link:

Excerpt:

Post by Fredrik Strage:

Jag intervjuade just rockjournalisten Nick Kent för DN. Han är aktuell med sin första roman "The Unstable Boys". Jag frågade också om hans relation till Morrissey och han gav mig väldigt utförliga svar. Eftersom jag bara fick med ett par korta citat i den färdiga texten tänkte jag bjussa er Moz-fans på resten. (Det här är inte korrat eller redigerat, bara utskriven intervju.)

Another big "what if" in rock history is what would have happened if you had agreed to publish the stuff that Morrissey sent you when you were a section editor at the NME? Maybe he would have become a rock journalist instead?
I never turned him down. I just didn't get back to him. He wasn't very good. But the main thing is that Morrissey was 14 years old. He was obsessed with the New York Dolls and I had spent enough time around the New York Dolls to know first hand that people who hang around the New York Dolls don't live very long. There's only one guy in the band still alive. Five are dead. Probably more than any other rock group of their era. So I just thought he'd better grow out of it. Also he was 14, what was I going to say? Leave school? Go to New York? I think he always resented me for that. Haha. We had a strange relationship. I remember interviewing him as a member of The Smiths, I couldn't remember him as Steven Morrissey, this kid that used to write to me. He wrote to a lot of people. But very quickly he wanted to know about the New York Dolls. And I knew about them. Johnny Thunders was the same age as me. We dressed the same and we had connections shall we say. So I knew the real story which he didn't. He just knew the story that he had read in the music papers. So I told him the real story of the New York Dolls and I remember him looking at me as if I was Saint Peter talking about Jesus Christ. This kind of worshipful look on his face. He wanted to touch the hem of my garment or something. I said to him "listen, man, the New York Dolls were a fine group, far be it from me to knock them but The Smiths are way better, you Morrissey are way more talented than anyone in the New York Dolls, that's just my opinion". And that impressed him. Haha.

I love The Smiths. I've been listening to them again. It's strange because their music came along at a really bad time in my life. Getting towards the end of my bad drug period. I was suffering from a really bad chemical depression. I was jaded and lacking stamina and everything was shit. Too many synthesizers. The whole music scene was all synthesizers at that point and I didn't like it. Then The Smiths came along and it was just wonderful. It was like hearing The Byrds again for the first time. I fell in love with music again. And meeting them was very nice. Johnny Marr gave me an amplifier, I was still a musician at that time, very nice of him. And a huge talent. I've played guitar with Keith Richards, I know how good a musician he is, like one-to-one, I know how good he is on stage but I also know how good he is when playing in a room and he's very good. He's much better in a room than he is on stage. And also Jimmy Page. Another guitar great. I've been in the same room and watched him play. He's great. But Johnny Marr was the best. When he was in The Smiths it was like... God, the beauty.... I'd purposedly go to soundchecks, before a gig, and Morrissey wouldn't sing it was just Joyce, Rourke and Marr getting the sound right. And they were rehearsing the songs for "The Queen Is Dead" which they were yet to record. They had just written them. And the music coming off that stage... everything that Marr played was just beautiful. It was like something out of a Greek myth. This golden music was coming out of his amplifier. Everything that he played was just... and they worked every day. The Smiths worked hard. The Smiths were the opposite of The Sex Pistols and The New York Dolls. They developed. They rehearsed. They wanted to be great. Every f***ing day, man. Morrissey and Marr would get together and say: "OK, today we're gonna write our version of '8 Miles High'. We're not gonna copy it but we're gonna do something as monumental as that." And they wrote "How Soon Is Now". Then Marr said: "OK, today we're gonna do our 'Gimme Shelter'." And they wrote "Bigmouth Strikes Again". They'd pick a song that was a classic. "OK, we're gonna do our 'You've Lost That Loving Feeling'." And they wrote "I Know It's Over". You understand? That's the level they were working on. Everyone else were thinking like: "OK, we want to sound a bit like Leonard Cohen, a bit like U2, and a bit like Depeche Mode, and the singer wants to sound a bit like Jeff Buckley. We'll put these ingredients together and we'll write our own songs." And that's pretty much what Coldplay does. And hundreds of thousands of people like that approach. That's a mainstream approach to rock music and has been for the last 30 years. But I don't like that because when I hear groups like that I just hear their influences. There's no personality. It's like the difference between Prince, who takes loads of influences but brought his own personality, versus Lenny Kravitz who takes Stevie Wonder, Jimi Hendrix, a little bit of John Lennon, and a lot of other influences but doesn't really add anything of his own to it.

The Smiths were like The Velvet Underground. They had their own sound. And those are the rare groups. Those are the important groups that are going to last.

Is it true that Morrissey wrote the song "Reader Meet Author" about you?
I haven't heard the song so I don't really want to comment. There was a time when things were nasty between us. Now we just ignore eachother. I prefer it that way. I don't like his politics. I don't know too much about him. I haven't even listened to his last album. But I listened to "California Son" and I really enjoyed that. I thought he made some really good choices. Joni Mitchell. Laura Nyro. But as for the stuff that he writes now... no. I don't want to say anything negative about the guy but I'm not gonna say anything positive either. Loved him in The Smiths.

The original DN article:

full

Tony is an interesting character. His 'allegation' is that Moz may not be a good human being. How many of us are? Was Tony? The same allegation could be made against many creative artists throughout history. Creative artists are often really awful people - and 'success' - quite a rare thing in the creative arts - often only accentuates their awfulness.

I think we all know that when Judge Weeks called Morrissey 'devious, truculent and unreliable' there was probably more than a dash of truth in that statement.

I wonder how Weeks really came to and why he came to that conclusion about a man he doesn’t know.

On what did Weeks make this judgment? Was it on Morrissey’s
courtroom behavior? Was it something Weeks was told in private about
Morrissey’s animal rights and anti-royalty position or his humasexuality?

I mean, it was both Morrissey and Marr that Joyce was bringing a case against.

So wouldn’t have Marr also been labeled by Weeks at least as ‘unreliable’ in regards to not paying Joyce? Or was it that Morrissey was more outspoken in court than Marr?, as usual.

Morrissey and life appear a poor fit - he's against the grain - but it's often in that lack of fit where creativity starts...

:clap::thumb:

Last edited:
I wonder how Weeks really came to and why he came to that conclusion about a man he doesn’t know.

So wouldn’t have Marr also been labeled by Weeks at least as ‘unreliable’ in regards to not paying Joyce? Or was it that Morrissey was more outspoken in court than Marr?, as usual.

Oh yes 🤣😁!! Some circles were so upset about the anti-meat stance of a minor celebrity, who himself admittedly consumed animal products and wore the deadly carcass of animals up until the age of 55 or so. Rrrrright....but it wasn't like this either, only the press, his shyness, the monarchy conspired...

According to Rogan - he just talked the way he always does. Muddled. Funny. Hyperbolic.

20210307_162815.jpg

It is very confusing. Who is the nameless Cheshire Blogger? There is no link to their Blog or website. Maybe it is a private Blog or maybe it doesn't exist. Maybe they don't actually exist. Who knows? Anyone can say anything on the internet it doesn't meant it is true.
Who is the mysterious nameless Cheshire Blogger❓🤔

Oh yes 🤣😁!! Some circles were so upset about the anti-meat stance of a minor celebrity, who himself admittedly consumed animal products and wore the deadly carcass of animals up until the age of 55 or so. Rrrrright....but it wasn't like this either, only the press, his shyness, the monarchy conspired...

The British police/security services monitor activists regardless of fame & Morrissey had voiced support for the ALF, the IRA, & had been questioned over his song Margaret on the Guillotine. There would be judges with an opinion on that.

🧐

WTF????? Tony Wilson is also a superstar??:crazy:
trolling about the towels being for Moz when it was
for the lawnmowers:blushing:
an unknown superstar troll FFS
doh:

According to Rogan - he just talked the way he always does. Muddled. Funny. Hyperbolic.

View attachment 69367

Informative.

Not informative.

The British police/security services monitor activists regardless of fame & Morrissey had voiced support for the ALF, the IRA, & had been questioned over his song Margaret on the Guillotine. There would be judges with an opinion on that.

Again, informative.

Who is the mysterious nameless Cheshire Blogger❓🤔

probably the superstar of the Sunday video who is buddies with 'surface' :crazy: originally from Hale:lbf:
she jets to Chesire in his imaginary jet plane.:lbf:

I didn't know Morrissey was involved with the Animal Liberation Front (ALF). The British upper classes go hunting on horses. Morrissey is against hunting.

probably the superstar of the Sunday video who is buddies with 'surface' :crazy: originally from Hale:lbf:
maybe they met when putting out hooky`s bins while he was away performing in his joy division/new world order tribute band :laughing:

Isn't Surface also mates with Bernard Sumner? Surface seems to be friends with many members of the glitterati of Cheshire and Manchester.

Isn't Surface also mates with Bernard Sumner? Surface seems to be friends with many members of the glitterati of Cheshire and Manchester.
🧐
yes this appears to be the case :straightface: Bernard, Hooky, Mani, the chick in the video........the whole lot:crazy:
must have met them all in his walks with the poocho_O
i expect the pooch to ride a skateboard to Cheshire.:lbf:

I agree that we probably shouldn't rely on the opinion of a half-wit in a wig - but there is plenty of other evidence that Moz can be 'difficult' at best. Street comes across as fairly honest and straight-forward - no reason to doubt his story. And he was right to complain about 'The Ordinary Boys' being removed from 'Viva Hate'. Although maybe Moz had other motives for wanting to erase that song?

Anon - Tony enabled some of the biggest junkies in the music business.

There are MANY stories.

And yet he's outraged by Moz getting a towel brought to him & by an alleged phone call asking for no more phone calls?

He's mardy about losing the Smiths to Rough Trade. And het male rock star bad behaviour was celebrated.

View attachment 69330

I love Shaun Ryder btw - just pointing out there's been a lot of misbehaviour.
I think most of us were like that in the late 80s/ early 90s. I know I was anyway

I agree that we probably shouldn't rely on the opinion of a half-wit in a wig - but there is plenty of other evidence that Moz can be 'difficult' at best. Street comes across as fairly honest and straight-forward - no reason to doubt his story. And he was right to complain about 'The Ordinary Boys' being removed from 'Viva Hate'. Although maybe Moz had other motives for wanting to erase that song?

He does have issues - it's the idea that he's a calculating monster that I think doesn't hold up.

Things like crying in airports, taking 3 times the dose of valium to get through the day, being afraid to go to the Southpaw Grammar launch, hiding in the pub to avoid an interview with a high-powered manager, perpetually having flu, being possessive, clingy & territorial but there being no anecdotes of him kicking off at festivals, television/radio shows or with venue staff...

It all points to the anxiety & depression he's talked about extensively.

Plus the other likely explanation that it's not fair to go into as he's not said anything.

Never said that Morrissey was not difficult, though we should take
into consideration the situation in which he is being judged as ‘difficult’, that goes for everyone.

In regards to Weeks comments and the media over the years, I believe that most of the people that criticize Morrissey usually do it because underneath they don’t agree with his views (views other than what they are criticizing) or are homophobic. So he’s not going to win them over, not that he cares to.

The show’s host in the video you posted I believe is in the wrong.

Never said that Morrissey was not difficult, though we should take
into consideration the situation in which he is being judged as ‘difficult’, that goes for everyone.

In regards to Weeks comments and the media over the years, I believe that most of the people that criticize Morrissey usually do it because underneath they don’t agree with his views (views other than what they are criticizing) or are homophobic. So he’s not going to win them over, not that he cares to.

The show’s host in the video you posted I believe is in the wrong.

Agree that homophobia often plays a part.

Simon Amstell is a prat. It was quite funny though.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom