NME 1986 article: Morrissey comparison with David Sylvian

• Thread starter Deleted member 29235
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29235

This interview with David Sylvian from the NME in August 1986 contains the following:
Where in the ’70s and early ’80s [Sylvian] seemed to go with the flow, riding the cultural currents quite effectively, he now seems to be, like all truly hip people, working against the current. As the late ’80s descend into a travesty of frivolity and defensive irony, Sylvian has the nerve to be serious, the realism to acknowledge that it doesn’t matter all that much, and the application to learn something. Unlike prissy Miss Morrissey, who embodies some of the same qualities, he also thankfully realises that the drama queen is dead. To proclaim the cultural bankruptcy of today is to state the obvious, to subvert it is another matter. Morrissey seems incapable of deciding what to do, Sylvian has already decided.

Having been listening to David Sylvian for even longer than I have Morrissey, I think it's the first time I've ever read a comparison between the two.

This interview with David Sylvian from the NME in August 1986 contains the following:

Having been listening to David Sylvian for even longer than I have Morrissey, I think it's the first time I've ever read a comparison between the two.

I don't know much about David but I would have thought he was the smarter Simon Le Bon?????

Poor Moz, that's borderline homophobia. He gets a lot of that.

I don't know much about David but I would have thought he was the smarter Simon Le Bon?????

I would call it outright homophobic but it also completely misses the point.

I don't even want to imagine Morrissey without the touch of drama queeniness.

I'd say it's more sexist than homophobic. A drama queen is not the same thing as an old queen.

I'd say it's more sexist than homophobic. A drama queen is not the same thing as an old queen.
I was referring to the "prissy Miss Morrissey" part.

Back
Top Bottom