NME: Owner of 'cannibalistic' Icelandic venue says Morrissey never asked them to go meat-free

What people does he care about? Dead idols? Pessimism is a world view--a negative filter through which one views everything. You can care deeply and still believe the world is going to hell in a hand basket.
You are confusing pessimism with melancholia or melancholy.

No I am not. Melancholy is a mood. Pessimism is an attitude. Moz is afflicted with both.

His more political songs, Meat is Murder, World Peace Is None Of Your Business, etc, are calls to arms. The message is do this, not give up.

The TTY messages are full of fight. Why would someone who is a pessimist to the core be so full of fight?

Sure he takes a dim view of a lot of things, an often outlandish view, but rarely one of resignation. Those are rare moments such as in Asleep.

His more political songs, Meat is Murder, World Peace Is None Of Your Business, etc, are calls to arms. The message is do this, not give up.

The TTY messages are full of fight. Why would someone who is a pessimist to the core be so full of fight?

Sure he takes a dim view of a lot of things, an often outlandish view, but rarely one of resignation. Those are rare moments such as in Asleep.
I agree. And I feel Asleep is a song of deep melancholia. Anybody that's ever looked at the world realistically will feel some of that.

Good points.

What people does he care about? Dead idols? Pessimism is a world view--a negative filter through which one views everything. You can care deeply and still believe the world is going to hell in a hand basket.

All the desperatly lonley suicidal social misfits and those cast out by society, the bullied kids in school, poor unwell children in hospitals fighting for there lives ect

THESE are the people he cares very deeply about!

Why do you think he wrote all those wonderfull healing songs that speack 2 and comfort people such as -

suffer little children
please let me get what I want
How can anyone possibly know how I feel
your the one for me fatty
Shoplifters of the world unite
sea sick yet docked
november spawned a monster
my dearest love
I want the one I cant have
The more you ignore me the closer I get,
There is a light and it never goes out ect ect ect must I go on?

IF YOU CANNOT STAND THIS FAKE WORLD - IF YOU CANNOT STAND THIS FAKE WORLD TAKE MY HAND IF YOU CANNOT STAND THIS FAKE WORLD ! - MORRISSEY :)

All the desperatly lonley suicidal social misfits and those cast out by society, the bullied kids in school, poor unwell children in hospitals fighting for there lives ect

THESE are the people he cares very deeply about!

Why do you think he wrote all those wonderfull healing songs that speack 2 and comfort people such as -

suffer little children
please let me get what I want
How can anyone possibly know how I feel
your the one for me fatty
Shoplifters of the world unite
sea sick yet docked
november spawned a monster
my dearest love
I want the one I cant have
The more you ignore me the closer I get,
There is a light and it never goes out ect ect ect must I go on?

IF YOU CANNOT STAND THIS FAKE WORLD - IF YOU CANNOT STAND THIS FAKE WORLD TAKE MY HAND IF YOU CANNOT STAND THIS FAKE WORLD ! - MORRISSEY :)

You gone back to the purple. Your 'blue' phase is over.

best
BB

Not to pick nits...but I would never consider Morrissey a fighting man. I see his TTY statements as more cannon shots he fires off and then turns and sails off. He may write songs that are a call to arms but he seems to stay out of the fight in most instances. He would make an excellent General in this regard. Selling stencils and playing a horrendous video at his concerts, and asking people not to vote are basically the extent of his "fight".

As an American I never fully understood his complete hatred for the royals. Diana was a wonderful ambassador for Britain and actively pursued many important causes like the removal of landmines. No system, or person, for that matter, is perfect, but at least Diana made an effort in the real world to make the world a better place...not from a stage.

Last edited:
Not to pick nits...but I would never consider Morrissey a fighting man. I see his TTY statements as more cannon shots he fires off and then turns and sails off. He may write songs that are a call to arms but he seems to stay out of the fight in most instances. He would make an excellent General in this regard. Selling stencils and playing a horrendous video at his concerts, and asking people not to vote are basically the extent of his "fight".

As an American I never fully understood his complete hatred for the royals. Diana was a wonderful ambassador for Britain and actively pursued many important causes like the removal of landmines. No system, or person, for that matter, is perfect, but at least Diana made an effort in the real world to make the world a better place...not from a stage.

Lots of hits and runs. Lacks courage.

There are those in his position that do a lot more for their causes-attending rallies, etc. one comedian took to busking in the streets for clothing and food donations to the homeless. Take the wonderful farm animal santctuaries or what Esther the Wonder Pig's dads are doing. All Morrissey has to do is write a statement calling attention to these places and actual animals will benefit. Instead he sits by the pool with a vodka in his hand and writes nasty statements on a website that looks like it was created in 1997.

I found Diana to be the ultimate manipulator and I never got the universal love for her, I'd go as far as to say that I didn't like her one bit. Diana aside, well, Prince Andrew too, I don't feel one way or another about the Royals individually but as an institution it seems completely bizarre. Doesn't it? Where you have people who don't do anything but be born in the right place at the right time and are then revered for it. It's completely bonkers. Then again that's the English class system and they're at the top of the chain.

On Morrissey's view, blood sport seems to be a favourite past time for the Royals, you probably need look no further than that as to why the irk Morrissey so much. Killing for fun isn't something he's into.

Only tangentially related, but here's a good documentary, made by Christopher Hitchens a year after Diana's death. (It's only part 1, but the other 3 parts are on the youchoobz too.)

It was, as far as I can remember, the first time after her passing that dissenting voices were heard, at length, in the mass media. 'Disney meets the Blackshirts', indeed.

I found Diana to be the ultimate manipulator and I never got the universal love for her, I'd go as far as to say that I didn't like her one bit. Diana aside, well, Prince Andrew too, I don't feel one way or another about the Royals individually but as an institution it seems completely bizarre. Doesn't it? Where you have people who don't do anything but be born in the right place at the right time and are then revered for it. It's completely bonkers. Then again that's the English class system and they're at the top of the chain.

On Morrissey's view, blood sport seems to be a favourite past time for the Royals, you probably need look no further than that as to why the irk Morrissey so much. Killing for fun isn't something he's into.

I do not live there so you would know better the legacy of the royal family. I kind of find it interesting the separation between your parliament/politics and the pomp and circumstance of the royal family. I get that they live off the backs of hard working tax payers, but I find William and Kate quite charming. I guess I am bonkers :crazy:

As for the blood sport issue. I thought fox hunting was outlawed? If they hunt other animals for sport that is a problem.

I wouldn't expect to understand what it was like for him growing up in England, much like I wouldn't expect someone from England to understand completely what it is like growing up in America. As has been pointed out many times before...we are on an American initiated website celebrating the work of an English/Irish singer. We are forever inextricably tied together :)

I do not live there so you would know better the legacy of the royal family. I kind of find it interesting the separation between your parliament/politics and the pomp and circumstance of the royal family. I get that they live off the backs of hard working tax payers, but I find William and Kate quite charming. I guess I am bonkers :crazy:

As for the blood sport issue. I thought fox hunting was outlawed? If they hunt other animals for sport that is a problem.

I wouldn't expect to understand what it was like for him growing up in England, much like I wouldn't expect someone from England to understand completely what it is like growing up in America. As has been pointed out many times before...we are on an American initiated website celebrating the work of an English/Irish singer. We are forever inextricably tied together :)

I like it. Have learned so much about British culture through these discussions here.

Just watched Something Wild. Loved it. Great soundtrack.

Only tangentially related, but here's a good documentary, made by Christopher Hitchens a year after Diana's death. (It's only part 1, but the other 3 parts are on the youchoobz too.)

It was, as far as I can remember, the first time after her passing that dissenting voices were heard, at length, in the mass media. 'Disney meets the Blackshirts', indeed.

I have to admit that I am only as informed as the news stories aired in the US that covered her efforts. If facts are uncovered that disprove her real role in this cause then I was not aware of the full story. Still she always came across as a kind and caring person..especially with children. I was taken by her ability to withstand many adversities in her life and still keep a level head.

I have to admit that I am only as informed as the news stories aired in the US that covered her efforts. If facts are uncovered that disprove her real role in this cause then I was not aware of the full story. Still she always came across as a kind and caring person..especially with children. I was taken by her ability to withstand many adversities in her life and still keep a level head.

Personally, I'm not that bothered about the Royals (and I say that as somebody on the Marxist end of left-wing politics); there are other, more worthwhile targets for criticism. However, I think the British comedian, Mark Thomas, characterised the motivation behind Diana's charity work quite accurately: "If you're a millionairess with nothing to do all day except contemplate throwing up your lunch, you might go, 'f*** it, touch a leper. Good PR'".

I like it. Have learned so much about British culture through these discussions here.

Just watched Something Wild. Loved it. Great soundtrack.

Me too. I really enjoy reading spirited debates without the inclusion of personal attacks into the mix.

I'm glad you liked the movie :)

Lots of hits and runs. Lacks courage.

His comment over Thatcher surviving those attempted IRA bombings I felt was a fairly courageous statement to make. As is calling an album 'The Queen is dead' back in the Royal's pomp of the mid-80's. Morrissey can be inconsistent with his political stances but I for one have felt that he has never lacked the courage of his convictions, even if they are misguided at times.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom