NME: Owner of 'cannibalistic' Icelandic venue says Morrissey never asked them to go meat-free

Personally, I'm not that bothered about the Royals (and I say that as somebody on the Marxist end of left-wing politics); there are other, more worthwhile targets for criticism. However, I think the British comedian, Mark Thomas, characterised the motivation behind Diana's charity work quite accurately: "If you're a millionairess with nothing to do all day except contemplate throwing up your lunch, you might go, 'f*** it, touch a leper. Good PR'".

At its face, this seems more of a cruel than a funny statement. I see no reason what difference it makes the wealth of a person who shows care and compassion for those suffering. From what I saw and watched of her she seemed to be a genuine person, flawed yes, but an eating disorder is nothing to laugh about IMO.

Last edited:
I have to admit that I am only as informed as the news stories aired in the US that covered her efforts. If facts are uncovered that disprove her real role in this cause then I was not aware of the full story. Still she always came across as a kind and caring person..especially with children. I was taken by her ability to withstand many adversities in her life and still keep a level head.

The woman was completely bonkers. A Grade-A nut job. She loved telling the press how she didn't appreciate having to compete with another woman in her marriage all the while running around London seducing every second married man she ran into. :lbf: I tell you now, if Diana had lived I doubt she would have been as popular as she is now. The tide was about to turn for her.

- - - Updated - - -

What people does he care about? Dead idols? Pessimism is a world view--a negative filter through which one views everything. You can care deeply and still believe the world is going to hell in a hand basket.

He seems to care about his family, his friendship with Linder and James Maker has seemingly endured. I grant not a lot of people but there are certainly some.

There are those in his position that do a lot more for their causes-attending rallies, etc. one comedian took to busking in the streets for clothing and food donations to the homeless. Take the wonderful farm animal santctuaries or what Esther the Wonder Pig's dads are doing. All Morrissey has to do is write a statement calling attention to these places and actual animals will benefit. Instead he sits by the pool with a vodka in his hand and writes nasty statements on a website that looks like it was created in 1997.

I couldn't agree with this more.Refusing to play places is stupid as well. If you feel so strongly about activism go to the places that need it .Isn't that what some people put their life on the line for ? THEY DO sometimes. There are plenty of organizations that could use a helping hand that don't include PETA the euthanizers of animals.He doesn't have to get his hands dirty.There are other compassionate and kind people out there who are not celebrities who actually make more efforts. Not to mention his hypocrisy is really not jiving with his " Message" .

There are those in his position that do a lot more for their causes-attending rallies, etc. one comedian took to busking in the streets for clothing and food donations to the homeless. Take the wonderful farm animal santctuaries or what Esther the Wonder Pig's dads are doing. All Morrissey has to do is write a statement calling attention to these places and actual animals will benefit. Instead he sits by the pool with a vodka in his hand and writes nasty statements on a website that looks like it was created in 1997.

So very true. You'd think he could lay out a few sheckles to a web designer to spruce the thing up a bit. It would be great to see him get his thoughts out to the public in a more robust fashion.

At its face, this seems more of a cruel than a funny statement. I see no reason what difference it makes the wealth of a person who shows care and compassion for those suffering. From what I saw and watched of her she seemed to be a genuine person, flawed yes, but an eating disorder is nothing to laugh about IMO.

Admittedly, it's not a side-splitting joke. I think the point he's making is that Diana's charity work in relation to people with HIV and landmine survivors were cynical attempts to maintain public support for herself. She was a multi-millionairess who required that public support. Had her concern been sincere, she would've donated much of her unearned wealth to those causes. She chose not to.

Yes, that's an excellent point. I think that's a source of disappointment amongst fans. I remember, back in 2012, when he spoke out and wrote a letter on behalf of the elephant Mali in the Philippines . He did that on behalf of PETA, but it was in a very diplomatic and measured way. I wish he'd do more actions like that one.

Yes, that's an excellent point. I think that's a source of disappointment amongst fans. I remember, back in 2012, when he spoke out and wrote a letter on behalf of the elephant Mali in the Philippines . He did that on behalf of PETA, but it was in a very diplomatic and measured way. I wish he'd do more actions like that one.

He's dabbled in it but he could really make waves without even leaving home. People will listen to him.

All the desperatly lonley suicidal social misfits and those cast out by society, the bullied kids in school, poor unwell children in hospitals fighting for there lives ect

THESE are the people he cares very deeply about!

Why do you think he wrote all those wonderfull healing songs that speack 2 and comfort people such as -

suffer little children
please let me get what I want
How can anyone possibly know how I feel
your the one for me fatty
Shoplifters of the world unite
sea sick yet docked
november spawned a monster
my dearest love
I want the one I cant have
The more you ignore me the closer I get,
There is a light and it never goes out ect ect ect must I go on?

IF YOU CANNOT STAND THIS FAKE WORLD - IF YOU CANNOT STAND THIS FAKE WORLD TAKE MY HAND IF YOU CANNOT STAND THIS FAKE WORLD ! - MORRISSEY :)

Riiiiiiiiiiiight rich people who have crappy online web pages devoted to the guy want to feel like a hip outsider once in a while too.They need the kind of five star hotel icon who doesn't mind if they attend every concert because they can afford to.He is as fake as they come. Driveling on about how people can't get on for a documentary but in actuality having a girlfriend.Sure.If you truly are an outsider and don't follow the cult culture then somehow this does not apply. For a person claiming to value privacy he sure has been rather exposed.Not buying the woe is me outsider BS anymore. If people saw it in the eighties it is rather sad to see young people doing the same thing now because as the years have past it sure makes you see him for what he truly is .Which isn't those things.His message is lost. It was all a lie.

Please end this site. Please please let me get what I want.. David end this site.....

Admittedly, it's not a side-splitting joke. I think the point he's making is that Diana's charity work in relation to people with HIV and landmine survivors were cynical attempts to maintain public support for herself. She was a multi-millionairess who required that public support. Had her concern been sincere, she would've donated much of her unearned wealth to those causes. She chose not to.

It appears I might be beyond my depth when it comes to Diana, but that raises the question "What has Morrissey really done? Both multi-millionaires...neither seemed/seems willing to give to charity in a meaningful way. Both flawed...but still tried/tries to do something positive for humanity. If his concern is real, could he do more than peddle stencils or show an over warn video at concerts to make a real change? We are not in their shoes...maybe she did the best she could and he is doing the best he can.

I am struck by the difference in opinion there seems to be when it comes to Diana's life. I believe most American's hold her in high esteem, and it seems that is not the case in Britain. I am also left wondering "Who wouldn't seek out love if the person she thought would be there for her forever turned out to be a cad?" Pieces of the truth seems to be missing from our understanding. The only question that remains is what will Morrissey do with his time left on this earth? My hope is that it involves great music, many concerts, and more television appearances. More than that is icing on the cake.

It appears I might be beyond my depth when it comes to Diana, but that raises the question "What has Morrissey really done? Both multi-millionaires...neither seemed/seems willing to give to charity in a meaningful way. Both flawed...but still tried/tries to do something positive for humanity. If his concern is real, could he do more than peddle stencils or show an over warn video at concerts to make a real change? We are not in their shoes...maybe she did the best she could and he is doing the best he can.

I am struck by the difference in opinion there seems to be when it comes to Diana's life. I believe most American's hold her in high esteem, and it seems that is not the case in Britain. I am also left wondering "Who wouldn't seek out love if the person she thought would be there for her forever turned out to be a cad?" Pieces of the truth seems to be missing from our understanding. The only question that remains is what will Morrissey do with his time left on this earth? My hope is that it involves great music, many concerts, and more television appearances. More than that is icing on the cake.

Yeah but he never tired to foist himself on the British public as 'The People's Princess.'

Honestly, this whole story is very boring. When/Where is the next conformed date(s)? Seriously.

Yeah but he never tired to foist himself on the British public as 'The People's Princess.'

I think you meant "tried". So are you saying Diana foisted herself as The People's Princess? I would have thought the press did that on their own. I have to admit I am taken aback by what seems to be contempt for her. Did Morrissey foist himself on the public as "The Pope of Mope"? My recollection is that she started life as a simple, grade school teacher. What an achievement it must have been to elevate herself to that status.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, this whole story is very boring. When/Where is the next conformed date(s)? Seriously.

You should know...Morrissey is no conformist ;)

I think you meant "tried". So are you saying Diana foisted herself as The People's Princess? I would have thought the press did that on their own. I have to admit I am taken aback by what seems to be contempt for her. Did Morrissey foist himself on the public as "The Pope of Mope"? My recollection is that she started life as a simple, grade school teacher. What an achievement it must have been to elevate herself to that status.

Google the f***en Palace she grew up in. Simple grade school teacher she was not. And yes she did attempt to foist herself onto the public, the level of collusion she had with certain members of the press was staggering. The woman didn't such much as fart without considering the implications to her image.

Note: Morrissey by all accounts hates the 'pope of mope' tag.

Last edited:
Google the f***en Palace she grew up in. Simple grade school teacher she was not. And yes she did attempt to foist herself onto the public, the level of collusion she had with certain members of the press was staggering. The woman didn't such much as fart without considering the implications to her image.

Note: Morrissey by all accounts hates the 'pop of mope' tag.

I know she came from money and a good family or else Prince Charles would never have picked her. Nonetheless...she was a simple, young girl who was taken with his advances. After that, she most likely did what she had to do to make sense of the crazy life he made for her. Why make her out to be the villain? Probably all she had at that time was the press. You find friends where you can. Who was on her side at the time? And if I were in her shoes I would pay close attention to my bodily functions as well. It must be nice to be so sure about someone you only have second hand knowledge about. Are we having fun?

I know she came from money and a good family or else Prince Charles would never have picked her. Nonetheless...she was a simple, young girl who was taken with his advances. After that, she most likely did what she had to do to make sense of the crazy life he made for her. Why make her out to be the villain? Probably all she had at that time was the press. You find friends where you can. Who was on her side at the time? And if I were in her shoes I would pay close attention to my bodily functions as well. It must be nice to be so sure about someone you only have second hand knowledge about. Are we having fun?

Mate the last part was interesting because I've seen you throw plenty of aspersions on these very boards about posters whom you've never met in 'real life' nor can possibly know. Doesn't stop you doing it.

Besides I didn't say she was the villain, I said she was nuts. Many people who knew her intimately have said that. What else have I said? That she came from money. True. That she boinked a shedload of married men when complaining about her own husband's infidelity. True. That she colluded with certain members of the press over virtually every move she made. Also true. If you don't like what I'm writing then stop reading it.

Mate the last part was interesting because I've seen you throw plenty of aspersions on these very boards about posters whom you've never met in 'real life' nor can possibly know. Doesn't stop you doing it.

Besides I didn't say she was the villain, I said she was nuts. Many people who knew her intimately have said that. What else have I said? That she came from money. True. That she boinked a shedload of married men when complaining about her own husband's infidelity. True. That she colluded with certain members of the press over virtually every move she made. Also true. If you don't like what I'm writing then stop reading it.

But was she "nuts" before she got mixed up with her bastard husband? Wasn't it him that possibly drove her to what she became? I can't imagine what I would do if my life was turned upside down. That is all I am saying. I like what you are writing because it is your opinion and you are being civil.

But was she "nuts" before she got mixed up with her bastard husband? Wasn't it him that possibly drove her to what she became? I can't imagine what I would do if my life was turned upside down. That is all I am saying. I like what you are writing because it is your opinion and you are being civil.

Now how do you know Charlie was a bastard? See that goes both ways. You don't personally know Charles ( I assume) nor did I personally know Diana, although I did ever so briefly meet her once and yikes what great legs! From account the woman had many issues relating back to the break-up of her own parents marriage. One would also assume it takes a super strong person to exist in that royal environment and I suspect Diana was deeply troubled before entering into it only for her situation to become exacerbated even further with all the pressure. Ultimately the House of Windsor's vetting machine got this one badly wrong. Should have just let Charlie marry whom it he wanted to all along.

Now how do you know Charlie was a bastard? See that goes both ways. You don't personally know Charles ( I assume) nor did I personally know Diana, although I did ever so briefly meet her once and 1. yikes what great legs! From account the woman had many issues relating back to the break-up of her own parents marriage. One would also assume it takes a super strong person to exist in that royal environment and I suspect Diana was deeply troubled before entering into it only for her situation to become exacerbated even further with all the pressure. Ultimately the House of Windsor's vetting machine got this one badly wrong. 2. Should have just let Charlie marry whom it he wanted to all along.

Finally bhops..we are in complete agreement:

1. Couldn't agree more

2. Couldn't agree more

Good night!

I love those songs too! MIDNITE is such a breath of fresh air around here. :)

All the desperatly lonley suicidal social misfits and those cast out by society, the bullied kids in school, poor unwell children in hospitals fighting for there lives ect

THESE are the people he cares very deeply about!

Why do you think he wrote all those wonderfull healing songs that speack 2 and comfort people such as -

suffer little children
please let me get what I want
How can anyone possibly know how I feel
your the one for me fatty
Shoplifters of the world unite
sea sick yet docked
november spawned a monster
my dearest love
I want the one I cant have
The more you ignore me the closer I get,
There is a light and it never goes out ect ect ect must I go on?

IF YOU CANNOT STAND THIS FAKE WORLD - IF YOU CANNOT STAND THIS FAKE WORLD TAKE MY HAND IF YOU CANNOT STAND THIS FAKE WORLD ! - MORRISSEY :)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom