NME: Russell Brand discusses ‘rude and hard work’ Morrissey

Russell Brand discusses ‘rude’ and ‘hard work’ Morrissey - NME
Jun 6, 2017

"He's got some sort of gravitas. People are properly affected by him."

Russell Brand has discussed his relationship with Morrissey, saying the Smiths legend can be “rude” and “hard work”.

The comedian is such a big fan of Morrissey that he named his cat after him, and in recent years the duo have become friends too.

Asked by a Q reader if Morrissey is “hard”, Brand replied: “He’s hard work! Everyone that knows him, even the people you think are as famous to him, really kowtow to him.”

“He’s got some sort of gravitas,” Brand added. “People are properly affected by him.”

Brand also shared the story of a witty put-down Morrissey aimed at him after a gig the comedian had played at Hammersmith Apollo.

Brand recalled: “[Morrissey] came to the show with Victoria Wood, God rest her soul, and Chrissie Hynde, and I was with Alain de Botton, the philosopher bloke. He really liked me, Alain de Botton. He was saying, ‘Russell is the most important social commentator of our age, that’s the thing. If he wasn’t a comedian, people would be saying he’s the most significant philosopher of our time. But he is a comedian, there’s no box you can put him in.'”

“And Morrissey went, ‘How about a coffin?’ He’s rude. He’s got these weird puns. He never fails to call Bryan Ferry ‘Bryan Ferret’.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey being hard work reminds me of this part from The Severed Alliance:

The major problem for the ever discriminating girls was Morrissey's personality. As classmate Julie Porter pondered: "A lot of people tried to get to know him but he was such hard work. He'd cut you short and appeared miserable and very reserved. Quite a lot of girls thought he was ridiculous."

Maybe it didn't occur to them he thought the same.
I imagine him in one instance realizing they were a lot of hard work and didn't bother either.

Morrissey being hard work reminds me of this part from The Severed Alliance:

The major problem for the ever discriminating girls was Morrissey's personality. As classmate Julie Porter pondered: "A lot of people tried to get to know him but he was such hard work. He'd cut you short and appeared miserable and very reserved. Quite a lot of girls thought he was ridiculous."

I remember what I said publicly about boys I liked: "he's ridiculous!" (giggles)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom