NME's " 100 Best Songs of the 1990s" - Morrissey didn't release anything, apparently

Re: NME's " 100 Best Songs of the 1990s" - Morrissey didn't release anything, apparen

Normally I find these lists too ridiculous to mention, but this one struck me: how could "Smells Like Teen Spirit" not be #1? I mean, I can think of hundreds and hundreds of Nineties songs I liked better than that one, but which track was as profoundly influential as "Smells Like Teen Spirit"? It single-handedly changed rock. No other track in the 1990s comes close to its impact. Did the NME's interns choose Pulp for #1 because they couldn't stomach the idea of an American band at the top of the list?

Re: NME's " 100 Best Songs of the 1990s" - Morrissey didn't release anything, apparen

Have to agree. Never liked grunge (when it was happening) but this "transcended" genres. The 90s had quite a bit of that actually, which is why I think it's a "better" decade than the two since.
"Common People" is a great British pop song but railing against "slumming it" is not big enough to warrant #1. Plus, the details are lost on most people outside of the UK, anglophiles excepted.

Normally I find these lists too ridiculous to mention, but this one struck me: how could "Smells Like Teen Spirit" not be #1? I mean, I can think of hundreds and hundreds of Nineties songs I liked better than that one, but which track was as profoundly influential as "Smells Like Teen Spirit"? It single-handedly changed rock. No other track in the 1990s comes close to its impact. Did the NME's interns choose Pulp for #1 because they couldn't stomach the idea of an American band at the top of the list?

we all know Morrissey has produced many great songs since 1983

When will UK media stop producing "100 best" list?

It's done by NME, I don't give a darn about.

Actually there's no shortages of threads discussing favourite / best songs (lyrics) of Morrissey in here.

And they might want to ignore industrial all together but no "Downward Spiral" is a major omission.

So Supersonic and (gah) Stay Together are top 10, but not Live Forever or any number of better Suede songs? 'Nuff read!

Back
Top Bottom