"Norway frowns on Morrissey's presence in Nobel concert" - AFP / Yahoo News

"Norway frowns on Morrissey's presence in Nobel concert" - AFP / Yahoo News

Oslo (AFP) - Former Smiths frontman Morrissey caused a stir in Norway on Wednesday after the British singer -- reviled in the country for his provocative comments in the wake of its 2011 Utoeya island massacre -- was confirmed for a Nobel concert line-up in Oslo next month.

"The right man for the Nobel concert?" asked Norway's main newspaper Afterposten on its front page.

This choice "is strikingly out of tune," wrote one of its commentators.

Nordic Twitter users piled on, branding as "bizarre" and "sad" Morrissey's inclusion in the December 11 concert, which was dedicated to the 2013 Peace prize being awarded to the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons.

Morrissey is notorious in Norway for remarks he made during a concert in Poland just two days after the July 22, 2011 massacre of 77 people -- most of them teenagers -- on Norway's Utoeya island by a right-wing extremist, Anders Behring Breivik. He controversially compared the victims' fate to that of animals bred for fast-food companies.

"That is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried Shit every day," he said, furthering his reputation as an outspoken vegetarian.

The organisers of the Nobel concert ruled out cancelling Morrissey's participation.

While his remarks over the massacre were "hideous", producer Odd Arvid Stroemstad said, "his explanation was convincing enough not to deny him the right to pay tribute to the Nobel laureate".

"When the artists go on stage, they do it for just one good reason," Stroemstad told AFP.

"Some are to the left, some are to the right, but all of them perform for free to support the Nobel Peace Prize and its laureate."

As well as Morrissey, the December concert features British singer James Blunt and Syrian musician Omar Souleyman, and will be hosted by Hollywood acting star Claire Danes, known for her leading role in the TV series "Homeland".

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: "Norway frowns on Morrissey's presence in Nobel concert" - AFP / Yahoo News

1000 plus posts dedicated to somebody you can't stand. I don't think you're in a position to question anyone else's mental health.

Once more, my little friend, you misrepresent me. I'm a fan of most of his Smiths output and perhaps about a third of his solo stuff, although he's spent most of the last decade working hard on lowering that percentile, obviously.

Only those with limited critical faculties will have failed to notice that the fewer songs he releases the more idiotic / desperate his statements become. I actually think, having read his book, and seen his statements over the last few years he is actually a rather ignorant, dangerous individual, attracting as he does an admittedly vanishing fan base who are so invested in him they take everything he says as truth.

For me, what started as being about celebrating his music, is now about challenging his foolish, uneducated ranting. Your problem, as exhibited by your constant attacks on me personally rather than my arguments, is that I'm rather good at it.

- - - Updated - - -

PHP:
Lol.
Actually looking forward to the rebuttal.

I didn't keep you waiting too long, I hope. ;)

Re: Article: "Norway frowns on Morrissey's presence in Nobel concert" - AFP / Yahoo News

constant attacks on you,mmm,I think u will find its my 1st and last,really cant be bothered with you to be honest,sheer utter boredom springs to mind.

and how does insinuating that he molests children fit into that?

I'll happily explain. Humasexual is a curiously broad term, and as Gore Vidal hid behind the term pansexual to disguise his alleged peccadilloes, I thought it would be nice if Morrissey could explain the term, as he is the one who pulled it out of his arse.

There, that was easy, wasn't it? Free speech in action.

Next!

constant attacks on you,mmm,I think u will find its my 1st and last,really cant be bothered with you to be honest,sheer utter boredom springs to mind.

I can't imagine anything has ever sprung to your mind. Hobbled. Yes. Crawled. Perhaps. Sprung? No.

I did enjoy your post the other day that declared his next album to be a classic before it had even been recorded, though. That was a classic of its oeuvre, even by cult standards.

I'll happily explain. Humasexual is a curiously broad term, and as Gore Vidal hid behind the term pansexual to disguise his alleged peccadilloes, I thought it would be nice if Morrissey could explain the term, as he is the one who pulled it out of his arse.

There, that was easy, wasn't it? Free speech in action.

Next!

freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, alright.

it doesn't explain why you tacked on a suggestion that morrissey rapes children onto a completely unrelated topic though. that's less a matter of freedom of speech and more a matter of you desperately trying to have a go.

freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, alright.

it doesn't explain why you tacked on a suggestion that morrissey rapes children onto a completely unrelated topic though. that's less a matter of freedom of speech and more a matter of you desperately trying to have a go.

Surely there must be a Lostprophets forum where he can post about that sort of thing?

Only those with limited critical faculties will have failed to notice that the fewer songs he releases the more idiotic / desperate his statements become. I actually think, having read his book, and seen his statements over the last few years he is actually a rather ignorant, dangerous individual, attracting as he does an admittedly vanishing fan base who are so invested in him they take everything he says as truth.

For me, what started as being about celebrating his music, is now about challenging his foolish, uneducated ranting. Your problem, as exhibited by your constant attacks on me personally rather than my arguments, is that I'm rather good at it.

- - - Updated - - -

PHP:

In short, he says stuff that you don't agree with but judging by your moral compass that's no bad thing.

This thread is hilarious and illustrates very well how every thread here unravels. The resident self-proclaimed genius speculated that Morrissey may have asked to be a part of this concert. And what acceptable statement or explanation did Morrissey offer in order to be included? None of this info is mysterious: the artists don't ask -- they are invited. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Peace_Prize_Concert

As for what his explanation was, the TTY statement was it. So of course all the other self-proclaimed geniuses have to jump in and publicly masturbate over how smart they think they are, critiquing and dissecting his words over and over again. This form of OCD must be exhausting, because Morrissey keeps giving you more ammunition.

Next you're probably going to jump on me and be all, "Why don't you register, you feckin anon? Be superior like us and use your real fake name." Why should I register for the crèche? So I can troll (which I don't anyway) more effectively and wreck every thread like the especially butthurt registered users? No, this site allows anonymous posting, and I wouldn't register just to comment every once in a blue moon.

Carry on, big fishies.

In short, he says stuff that you don't agree with but judging by your moral compass that's no bad thing.
You're quite right about barleycorns moral compass, this is the creep who described a rape conviction as a minor embarrassment, that says it all about him, he is obviously a sad lonely pathetic individual, he keeps going on about nobody debating his points with him, the reason for that is nobody wants to debate with such a vile twisted hate- filled moron

Do you think the reason Morrissey equates humans with poultry is that he has read your posts?

- - - Updated - - -

You're quite right about barleycorns moral compass, this is the creep who described a rape conviction as a minor embarrassment,

Take Morrissey's cock out of your mouth and remind me of that. Ta.

Statement by Benny-the-Butcher ----- Morrissey solo (Hateful online crèche)

Norway this is your time to shine and your moment to make history and amends by giving Morrissey a taste of his own medicine when he walks on stage for his comments regarding human massacre on your soil as nothing compared to what goes on at famous fast food chain outlets.
Let your voices be heard for the world to hear that stupid crass irresponsible comments will not be tolerated.
Who in their right mind booked him for this gig in the first place ?
Give him hell.

God save the Queen

Benny-the-Butcher (The world WILL listen)

Can we please get back on topic please ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Protest against this deluded old fool Norway turn your back on him during his karaoke set (If he turns up). Rage against the rants and spread the word Norway.
He's not a man of peace that's for sure. This fool wants to dictate how and what we eat with his own sharia law.

Turn your back, put your fingers in your ears and shout "La la la we can't hear you,
you silly old fool,
get back to your L A mansion,
and start your revolution,
with your silly old sidekick Braindamage,
dressed up as a gay pirate,
la la la we can't hear you.

Benny-the-Butcher

Well then if true it would just show that there's at least one not particularly bright person who thought Morrissey would be the right artist for this type of event. How does this diminish our solo genius? It doesn't.

Also, can't you hear a well-oiled PR machinery at work here? I can.

You obviously take great pleasure in trying to make some of us look stupid. Carry on, Big Nobody. We're used to it. :D

This form of OCD must be exhausting, because Morrissey keeps giving you more ammunition.

Believe me, it's a fair exchange. :) You know it all... but you've never seen the compulsive solo side of Morrissey . Oh, lol.

Can we please get back on topic please ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Protest against this deluded old fool Norway turn your back on him during his karaoke set (If he turns up). Rage against the rants and spread the word Norway.
He's not a man of peace that's for sure. This fool wants to dictate how and what we eat with his own sharia law.

Turn your back, put your fingers in your ears and shout "La la la we can't hear you,
you silly old fool,
get back to your L A mansion,
and start your revolution,
with your silly old sidekick Braindamage,
dressed up as a gay pirate,
la la la we can't hear you.

Benny-the-Butcher

It would be great if he was booed off stage, but unfortunately the invited guests will come from around the world and will be too polite and/or posh. It's a pretty safe environment for him regrettably. It would be richly deserved though. Perhaps there will be some protests outside the venue.

It would be great if he was booed off stage, but unfortunately the invited guests will come from around the world and will be too polite and/or posh. It's a pretty safe environment for him regrettably. It would be richly deserved though. Perhaps there will be some protests outside the venue.

Don't be a dick. I'm sure the Norwegians can piece together it was an ill-timed syllogism, that he means no harm towards the children of Norway. You can certainly pardon a man for foot-in-mouth syndrome since you exhibit some stupid conclusions yourself pretty consistently.

Don't be a dick. I'm sure the Norwegians can piece together it was an ill-timed syllogism, that he means no harm towards the children of Norway.

Let's examine that quote once more, shall we? It is the one which has holed him below the waterline, so it is worth revisiting.

"We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown, with 97 dead, though that is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald's and Kentucky Fried S--t every day."

Verbatim.

That is a deliberate attack designed to make himself headlines. It was plainly planned. He is bathing in the blood of murdered children to make himself extra column inches. He is absolutely disgusting. I don't care a jot about his views on Ireland, or the Royals, or putting himself forward as a revolutionary (no giggling at the back, please) because they are laughable and broadly ignorant of the facts, but the Norway stuff is unforgivable. Someone in Oslo should John Lennon the prick.

You can certainly pardon a man for foot-in-mouth syndrome since you exhibit some stupid conclusions yourself pretty consistently.

I'll ignore this bit because I read some of your posts and they often seem pretty on the edge, and I understand it is Thanksgiving today.

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/conte...ssey-in-Hot-Press-on-Queen-s-visit-to-Ireland

I remember how upset Northern Irish posters were about this comment. And it didn't take too long until riots in Northern Ireland were reported once again.

Who is to take the Nobel Price seriously?

The people responsible should really look closer, even if being superficial is the norm nowadays and those who can sell shit as gold have been making millions especially during the past years.

Let's examine that quote once more, shall we? It is the one which has holed him below the waterline, so it is worth revisiting.

"We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown, with 97 dead, though that is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald's and Kentucky Fried S--t every day."

Verbatim.

That is a deliberate attack designed to make himself headlines. It was plainly planned. He is bathing in the blood of murdered children to make himself extra column inches. He is absolutely disgusting. I don't care a jot about his views on Ireland, or the Royals, or putting himself forward as a revolutionary (no giggling at the back, please) because they are laughable and broadly ignorant of the facts, but the Norway stuff is unforgivable. Someone in Oslo should John Lennon the prick.

I'll ignore this bit because I read some of your posts and they often seem pretty on the edge, and I understand it is Thanksgiving today.

If Morrissey's so "absolutely disgusting" then why waste your breath on here? The fact that you linger like a toxic, insidious odour is much more perverse than anything he's ever said or done. You clearly loathe the man. Move on. You're like some sad jilted lover hanging around your ex's flat, trying to poison the minds of anyone who dares cross the threshold. And what does it achieve? Nothing! You have absolutely no understanding of him, of hyperbole, of his artistry, of his intentions, of his complexities, of anything but the tedious sound of your own monotonous, two-dimensional rantings. Would your energy not be best spent collecting some litter in the park with Brummie Boy?

If Morrissey's so "absolutely disgusting" then why waste your breath on here? The fact that you linger like a toxic, insidious odour is much more perverse than anything he's ever said or done. You clearly loathe the man. Move on. You're like some sad jilted lover hanging around your ex's flat, trying to poison the minds of anyone who dares cross the threshold. And what does it achieve? Nothing! You have absolutely no understanding of him, of hyperbole, of his artistry, of his intentions, of his complexities, of anything but the tedious sound of your own monotonous, two-dimensional rantings. Would your energy not be best spent collecting some litter in the park with Brummie Boy?

It's become a bit of a hobby to point out the very obvious failings in Morrissey's arguments. It needs to be done because his views are dangerous, aimed as they are at people who cannot think for themselves. Russell Brand preys on the same fools, including it seems Morrissey himself, who has plainly been influenced by the sex pest. (I saw Brand's DVD on the shelf in HMV yesterday. He thinks he's Che Guevara now.)

I can sit and watch the footy, and deal with half a dozen of you at once. You don't argue your own points, nor do you tend to address the points I raise. You just bitch and moan about me, or anyone else who does not kiss his arse fully. Some of you make Al-Shabab seem eminently reasonable in comparison. That is how nuts it has become here, and it needs challenging.

All I do is mirror Morrissey's statements but redirect them back at him or his zealots. When I do it many of the cult appear deeply offended, but when he does it it is seen as a symbol of his genius. It is no less offensive when he does it than when I do it. You react in fury if I jokingly say I'd welcome his death, but shrug if he uses the real deaths of a hundred real kids to make his insane political point. "Oh, he didn't mean it." Yes, he did. It was straight out of the PETA playbook, and was the single biggest error of his career.*

Morrissey is just a man. A not very nice man, judging by his book, but still just a man. His lionisation here is ludicrous, and increasingly unwarranted, taking into account his lack of musical output.*

He is a singer/songwriter and as such he makes an embarrassingly poor political and social scientist. He should make some records. Quite simple. He has made some extremely good ones in the past. If I like them, I'll say so, if I don't I'll say so.*Seems fair.

The best parts of YOR and ROTT would have made one great record. Instead we got two rather average records. Perhaps the next one will see him back at his best. I won't proclaim any possible new album a classic before it is even recorded like some here, though. Because that's idiotic.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom