Odd fan of Jobriath - Joe Elliot of Def Leppard

terrancestamp

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...iggy-stardust-sung-mick-jagger-193646716.html

Wow, straight from the front page of yahoo! Strange article on Joe Elliot's love of Jobriath. Odd that he would love Jobriath and hate Morrissey so much. Morrissey does get a mention, as he should in the article. "Rock Of Ages"?? Did the Jobriah song inspire the DL song of the same name? They did cover Jobriath "Heartbeat" back in 2006.

Last edited:
Great! 35 years ago today, RIP.
Never understood why Moz didn’t participate in Jobriath AD.

As a kid my cassettes were stacked in 1 foot or so stacks arranged in alphabetical order, stack one was A to Def Leppard with David Bowie right on top of them which I always thought was funny, now I see all these years later that it wasn’t so strange really :rock:

Def Leppard were the band that made me realize that where I was going, my friends were not. We were at the drive in before the movie started, smoking some pitifully bad pot and listening to the radio when The Cure came on. I tried saying "Hey, I like this b-" and before I could even finish, my friend's older brother who drove went on a rant about "that f***** shit" and changed the station to Def Leppard. As they rocked out to music that made me feel less than nothing, I knew they weren't going to get a large part of who I was becoming. Nick grew up to be a truck driving redneck who chewed Copenhagen, but was still a nice guy the last time I saw him, but his was a life of manual labor and sunburns, where I never looked back to the farm past the age of 15.

Def Leppard were the band that made me realize that where I was going, my friends were not. We were at the drive in before the movie started, smoking some pitifully bad pot and listening to the radio when The Cure came on. I tried saying "Hey, I like this b-" and before I could even finish, my friend's older brother who drove went on a rant about "that f***** shit" and changed the station to Def Leppard. As they rocked out to music that made me feel less than nothing, I knew they weren't going to get a large part of who I was becoming. Nick grew up to be a truck driving redneck who chewed Copenhagen, but was still a nice guy the last time I saw him, but his was a life of manual labor and sunburns, where I never looked back to the farm past the age of 15.
there's nothing wrong with manual labour and sunburns though. lots of artists--jack Kerouac, Gauguin--have chosen to do manual labour to support themselves while creating their art. not doing manual labour doesn't make you a different sort of person from someone who does.

there's nothing wrong with manual labour and sunburns though. lots of artists--jack Kerouac, Gauguin--have chosen to do manual labour to support themselves while creating their art. not doing manual labour doesn't make you a different sort of person from someone who does.
Being the type with an end goal of early marriage, 2.5 kids, shooting deer in the fall, and drinking Budweiser while listening to Def Leppard does.

Being the type with an end goal of early marriage, 2.5 kids, shooting deer in the fall, and drinking Budweiser while listening to Def Leppard does.
and all of that is encapsulated in the image of someone who doesn't manual labour and gets sunburns?

and all of that is encapsulated in the image of someone who doesn't manual labour and gets sunburns?
It's only because I have nothing but contempt for the working classes. Sweating? I never!

Why not? They're f***ing awful. And this is coming from a guy who has a soft spot for butt rock. Growing up they just seemed like such pussies compared to their peers. And I'm including Poison.
I get quite nostalgic when I hear them, a simpler time, and maybe I was lucky, my D&D bros tolerated listening to bowie, the cure, the Smiths, Depeche Mode, others. I drew the line when they played Boston o_O

I get quite nostalgic when I hear them, a simpler time, and maybe I was lucky, my D&D bros tolerated listening to bowie, the cure, the Smiths, Depeche Mode, others. I drew the line when they played Boston o_O
To me they just had a blandness and uniformity to their sound that made me feel like they didn't quite believe what they were selling. They didn't strike me as party animals as much as pampered rich kids playing tourist in the hairy rock n roll world.

To me they just had a blandness and uniformity to their sound that made me feel like they didn't quite believe what they were selling. They didn't strike me as party animals as much as pampered rich kids playing tourist in the hairy rock n roll world.
You’re hearing them wrong ;)

After hearing this done ever so poorly for the years I slaved away in a karaoke bar :guitar:
The original has become bearable :rolleyes: and one of my now dead brothers sort of loved em...
You have my condolences on both! I had a bar trying to headhunt me for a couple of years and I always said the same thing. Get rid of Karaoke, and I'm in.

You have my condolences on both! I had a bar trying to headhunt me for a couple of years and I always said the same thing. Get rid of Karaoke, and I'm in.
It’s the easiest bar to work at actually, if you can endure the terrible singing of terrible songs.
We had a list of songs that we all worked there did shots when they came on for the umpteenth time some nights :squiffy:

It’s the easiest bar to work at actually, if you can endure the terrible singing of terrible songs.
We had a list of songs that we all worked there did shots when they came on for the umpteenth time some nights :squiffy:
The reason I wouldn't, aside from hearing Don't Stop Believin' and Bohemian Rhapsody mangled night after night are the karaoke "pros" who do the same songs night after night, drink water, and get in the way of that easy money. I prefer a turn & burn high volume environment. Right now I'm doing the dive thing, which gets old, particularly the regulars and lotto tweakers, but I like not having to censor myself in any way at work.

The reason I wouldn't, aside from hearing Don't Stop Believin' and Bohemian Rhapsody mangled night after night are the karaoke "pros" who do the same songs night after night, drink water, and get in the way of that easy money. I prefer a turn & burn high volume environment. Right now I'm doing the dive thing, which gets old, particularly the regulars and lotto tweakers, but I like not having to censor myself in any way at work.
We had one regular who had performed in Broadway musicals for years, still a stunner at 50 some, incredible voice, not a heavy drinker, I’d ply her with compliments instead, she made some nights bearable and good luck with the tweakers :paranoid:

We had one regular who had performed in Broadway musicals for years, still a stunner at 50 some, incredible voice, not a heavy drinker, I’d ply her with compliments instead, she made some nights bearable and good luck with the tweakers :paranoid:
Some of the people make karaoke a real pleasure, but they are rare. The tweakers kill me. I swear, if the video slots were taken out of the picture, you wouldn't see 99% of them ever again. It's such a tax on the poor and stupid. The only time I play is when they leave 25-50 cents in them. Usually nothing, but sometimes you spin once, get the 5 bucks and cash out. It floors me to see people put hundreds in, and then get giddy when they "win."

Back
Top Bottom