Omega Auctions: More Geoff Travis rarities listed (Auction due November 24-25, 2020)

Tuesday 24th and Wednesday 25th November 2020 - Two Day Sale - Music Memorabilia and Vinyl Records - Online Only

91336_0.jpg91385_0.jpg91261_0.jpg91279_0.jpg

91368_0.jpg91367_0.jpg91266_0.jpg91292_0.jpg

Full catalogue:

A selection on offer:

MORRISSEY AND JOHNNY MARR SIGNED CARD
Authenticated by Roger Epperson prior to this sale.

THE SMITHS FULLY SIGNED SINGLE
Authenticated by Roger Epperson prior to this sale.

THE SMITHS MEMORABILIA PACK
From Geoff Travis' Rough Trade collection.

THE SMITHS - I STARTED SOMETHING VIDEO PRODUCTION COLLECTION
All from the Geoff Travis Rough Trade collection.

MORRISSEY AND CARL BARAT PHOTOGRAPH

THE SMITHS INTERVIEW REQUESTS
From the Geoff Travis Rough Trade collection.

SMITHS PRESS CUTTINGS ARCHIVE
A very extensive archive containing hundreds of press cuttings relating to Morrissey and the Smiths, kept by the Rough Trade office over the years.
Viewing advised. From the Geoff Travis Rough Trade collection. (want this myself!)

THE SMITHS - EDEN STUDIOS DEMO CASSETTE (PRE FIRST ALBUM)
Amazing piece of Smiths history with this fascinating 14 track demo cassette, this artefact coming from Geoff Travis' Rough Trade archive. The cassette (Eden Studios Ltd) contains a total of 14 tracks - on one side are the 7 tracks as per the handwritten inlay card and include I Don't Owe You Anything, These Things Take Time, The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, Back To The Old House, You've Got Everything Now, Reel Around The Fountain and Miserable Lie - these are demos and differ to that of the final commercially released recordings.
On the flip side the tracks run as follows - Hand That Rocks The Cradle, Pretty Girls Make Graves, Hand in Glove, What Difference Does it Make, Suffer Little Children (instrumental), You've Got Everything Now (instrumental) and last but not least Reel Around The Fountain.
These versions are again demos that are significantly different to the commercially released versions - the vast majority start with clicking drumsticks. The A side label has handwritten: "The Smiths ASST Mixes - 12 Nov'".
The cassette is in excellent condition.
*NB: this was sold on November 10, 2o20 for an unknown reason.

ORIGINAL HACIENDA LISTING FLYER - THE SMITHS 3RD PERFORMANCE
An original FAC51 - The Hacienda listings flyer for Jan - March 1983 with a billing for the Smiths (in their third ever performance). Approx. A4 size - very good condition. Also billed are New Order, Chameleons, Eurythmics, 52nd Street, John Cale. What a month.

THE SMITHS I STARTED SOMETHING UNUSED SLEEVE DESIGN
An unused proof design for the sleeve for RT198 'I Started Something'. This 12 x 12" version features different font and also suggests different track list, with 'Stop Me..' printed to reverse. An overlay has 'I Started Something'. From Geoff Travis' Rough Trade collection.

THE SMITHS HATFUL ARTWORK ORIGINAL ART BOARDS
An art board (approx. 77 x 52cm) with overlays comprising the original hand drawn designs for the LP release of The Smiths - Hatful..

There's just too much to list.
There's some excellent posters, proofs, unused designs, fan, media, legal & tour correspondence, tapes, VHS, cuttings, magazines, a gold & platinum disc etc etc..
Quite staggering how much has been auctioned in the last few months.
The final sale prices will follow on the day of the auction.
Regards,
FWD.

That press cuttings archive 👀

Thoughts on the Eden demo?

I remember the thrill of travelling to Music Fairs in the 90s in my red fiat panda and purchasing bootleg tapes of Smiths concerts on cassette. They're all readily available online now, but you had to go and find them then. Getting majorly back into vinyl again. Not through vanity, but simply because I've rediscovered the warm sound of vinyl. I wish to purchase original copies of The Smiths vinyl albums at some point - I got rid of mine under the assumption that CD was the better format. CD robbed me of my joy of music listening and I've only just discovered that. I thought it was me who'd changed and I'd simply grown out of music, but it was the medium that had changed. I can't bear to listen to CD anymore. I have so many CDs and a handful of vinyl, but I'm concentrating exclusively on my vinyl collection when I listen to music now.

Has anyone been keeping a tally on how much Mr. Shankly has made thus far out of The Smiths memorabilia auctions? Must be a few bob...is it his retirement fund?

Has anyone been keeping a tally on how much Mr. Shankly has made thus far out of The Smiths memorabilia auctions? Must be a few bob...is it his retirement fund?
Maybe he's just flogging his collection before Morrissey's big mouth drives the value into the ground..!

Maybe he's just flogging his collection before Morrissey's big mouth drives the value into the ground..!
That's just a stupid comment Amy, & you know it. It's not been reflected in the recent prices, has it?
If anything it's proven to be a sound (no pun intended) investment.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's just a stupid comment Amy, & you know it. It's not been reflected in the recent prices, has it?
If anything it's proven to be a sound (no pun intended) investment.
It was tongue-in-cheek, obviously. God, what a joyless, over-sensitive response. Go back to your spreadsheets.

It was tongue-in-cheek, obviously. God, what a joyless, over-sensitive response. Go back to your spreadsheets.
Maybe next time make it a bit clearer then? At least you got a 'like' from the site's biggest arsewipe. Kudos. :rolleyes:

Maybe next time make it a bit clearer then? At least you got a 'like' from the site's biggest arsewipe. Kudos. :rolleyes:
Are you always like this? Stop grouching over a harmless joke, it's Friday night :guitar:

i counted up the final tally for the last auction and i think it came to £59,300 give or take a few quid.nice wee earner for dave lee travis.

why is carl barrett holding a banana,ooer missus,what they got up to has nothing to do with me.

I think my favorite auction bit was the letter from Geoff Travis to the Musicians Union dated August 5, 1987 asking for approval to use a replacement for Johnny Marr on the next Top of the Pops appearance as he had suddenly left the Smiths.

What a tawdry little man Travis truly is. The Smiths Artwork that was put together by Morrissey should have been returned to Morrissey, Travis has no business profiting from it.

What is the 7" that has "Hand In Glove", "Still Ill" "There Is A Light" and "Panic" on it?? Artwork by Red October? I am afraid I have not see this before. No sales info on the back at all.

Wait I see now that it is a crappy bootleg.....why would you have the band sign a crap bootleg 7"??? Shouldn't you be mad that someone stole your intellectual property?

Wait I see now that it is a crappy bootleg.....why would you have the band sign a crap bootleg 7"??? Shouldn't you be mad that someone stole your intellectual property?
Why not? The one who's come to let it sign didn't steal anything from the band, in fact he or she must be a massive fan and probably has bought all official releases.

why is carl barrett holding a banana,ooer missus,what they got up to has nothing to do with me.
I can’t fully remember, but didn’t Morrissey ‘wear’ bananas during some 2004 gigs?

I suspect Barrett grappled it off Morrissey just before the latter was about to make a big entrance. I trust this empties the picture of any unwelcome innuendo.

I can’t fully remember, but didn’t Morrissey ‘wear’ bananas during some 2004 gigs?

I suspect Barrett grappled it off Morrissey just before the latter was about to make a big entrance. I trust this empties the picture of any unwelcome innuendo.

Clearly a coded Velvet Underground message!? :)
Regards,
FWD.

They came up the Clyde in a banana boat before playing the SECC in 2004, so snaffled a few bunches for the backstage rider! 🍌🍌🍌

They came up the Clyde in a banana boat before playing the SECC in 2004, so snaffled a few bunches for the backstage rider! 🍌🍌🍌
i was on the clyde that day,it was december the fourth,my first M concert,didnt see any bananas though.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom