mccannalex

DESIGNER MAGAZINE
PRESENTS... ST GEORGES DAY BASH
Syd Bozko
The Slow Readers Club
Consolations
The Windfall
Kid 4077

VENUE: Ruby Lounge, 28-34 High Street Manchester (opposite Arndale and next to the Old Blob Shop)
DATE: Wed April 23rd
TIME: Doors 7.15pm
PRICE: £5 in advance from http://www.ticketline.co.uk - search for Designer Magazine)

THE SLOW READERS CLUB (formerly Omerta)

We have very little info on Slow Readers Club as this will be their debut gig....here's the history of the band under their previous name Omerta

History
Omerta formed in 2003 when the 4 members decided to try to make a name for themselves by writing music that they enjoyed playing and listening to. James, Nick, and Neil were the first members of the band, having met one another whilst at school, they were already good friends and had previously been in a band called Foghead. They met Aaron in 2003 and Omerta was created.

Initially, the band were practicing all the time and writing new songs whilst learning where their musical influences would take them. By February 2004, they were playing venues across Manchester and the North West whilst still writing material.

By August 2004, Omerta had recorded their first demo CD, and whilst playing in York, they distributed all the copies they had to the gathered crowd. Positive reviews soon followed and interest in the band became more evident with increased attendance at gigs and requests for music from record companies. Omerta continued to perform live, record and write more material for the next few months.

In February 2005, the band were offered the chance to release their first single with local indie label, Northern Ambition.

April 2005 saw the band release their debut Double A-side single Everyone is Frozen / Learn to Love the System on a limited 7" run and stockists were forced to restrict purchase to only one copy per customer in the interests of public order. In only three hectic days stocks in Manchester and London had disappeared. Fans who were too late made brave bids on eBay for up to 15 times the disc's original value.

The Everyone is Frozen single was playlisted on XFM, chosen as record of the week by Claire Sturgess and recommended by Steve Lamacq on his BBC 6 Music show[1]. On being invited to record a live session[2] for XFM by Sturgess shortly after this first release, they became one of only three unsigned bands to have been bestowed the honour.

In early October 2005 the band released their second single “One Chance” on a limited edition of 400 7” Vinyls and 400 CD’s. Much like the first single, “One Chance” received a mass of radioplay and press, and beat the sell-out time of their debut single into a pulp selling out all copies of “One Chance” across the UK in only one day. In addition the single also went in at Position 36 in the BBC Indie/Rock Official Chart Listing.

Omerta were in XFM's top 5 live sessions of 2005 (which included many signed artists) and they were Piccadilly Records' number 1 Indie Single of 2005 as well as making their list of 2005's best sellers{[3].

In 2006 the band were writing, recording and playing live across the UK. They also released a single 'One more minute' on Northern Ambition. However, by summer 2007 the band had split.

http://www.myspace.com/theslowreadersclub

THE CONSOLATIONS
The Consolations started life as two blokes with an acoustic guitar, a sampler, and a stack of dusty charity shop vinyl. Two years on and we are a proper 6-piece band, with each member bringing a wealth of individual musical influences. What began life as something akin to a wandering minstrel with a drum machine is evolving with each gig and rehearsal.

http://www.myspace.com/consolations

THE WINDFALL
The Windfall are a Folk-Rock band based in Manchester. Though the band's origins date back to late 2004 with founding members Rob Pollard(vocals), Stephen Gill(guitar) and Jordan Bullman(bass), the band as it would be recognised today formed in Nov 2006 after the arrival of Loveday King (joining Rob on lead vocals), Jordan Marsland(rhythm guitar) and Damon Steed(drums). As early influences evolved the group became heavily influenced by the 60's, with particular reference to the San Francisco scene that exported bands such as Jefferson Airplane, and also the English "Acid Folk-Rock" of the late 60's, including Fairport Convention.

Damon Steed left in the summer of 07 and was replaced by Steve Reidy, who aced his audition. Another addition to the band was made that summer in the form of Dave Hatch, a friend of the band, a superb guitarist and 'spiritual/musical advisor' to the group; he was invited on-board to play lead guitar with Gill.

http://www.myspace.com/thewindfall

KID 4077

Observer Music Monthly Article on Kid 4077:

Moments after he exits the stage at this under-18s show, singer-songwriter Kid 4077 - aka 15-year-old Nile Marr - will sum up the experience of his first solo gig thus: 'A bit of a laugh. It was nice to just get up there and play a few songs to family and friends. I hadn't had much chance to do that in Manchester. The school I go to doesn't let us play live music. 'Cause of my age, finding gigs hasn't been easy.'

That much is true. Earlier this year, Marr was billed to support singer-songwriter Paolo Nutini on a national tour, but insurance issues relating to his age saw him booted off. Instead, a group of Marr's classmates are now giddily chanting 'Get your tits out!' down the front, while his mother stands by taking photos. Just as noticeable is the presence of older musos and the local media. Nile Marr's debut will even make the front page of the Manchester Evening News. It helps that he is none other than the son of former Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr who, had he not been in Barcelona with Modest Mouse tonight, would have been a very proud man.
On an afternoon when people are looking for similarities - yes, Nile is a virtuoso guitarist and, yes, he does alarmingly resemble a younger model of his father - the greater impact is down to the differences. Whereas all his schoolmates' support bands wear their youth and contemporary indie nous on their sleeves, Nile Marr is keener to reveal his impeccable knowledge of Seventies folk rock. 'My dad brought me up on Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks, and I'm currently obsessed by John Martyn,' he says afterwards. But while the voice is gruff and the lyrics deal with teen existentialism, songs such as 'Bethany's Joy' suggest a more sun-flecked Ray LaMontagne, while the standout track, the poppy 'Get Me Out', sounds like Crowded House's Neil Finn collaborating with the Beta Band.

It would be daft to factor in Marr snr too much. We are, after all, talking about a young teenager still finding his bearings, absorbing and digesting new influences. But on the evidence of this nervy but promising 30-minute-long debut show, Marr is one extremely (young) charming man.

'I was pretty nervous tonight,' he confides later, 'but more about what my mates would think than anything else. Most teens want to go and see bands that sound like Arctic Monkeys or Libertines and jump up and down and have fun. But I'm just one kid and a guitar playing quite gentle, folky music. It's quite a challenge to hold an audience's attention. But I think I did OK.'

http://www.myspace.com/kid4077

Back
Top Bottom