"One night with Morrissey for ’80s New Wave kids" - brief interview in the Philippine Daily Inquirer

Yes, good find. And Giselle, I also think What Difference... is a really classically dramatic piece of pop music.

These three answers are sharp as green grass you'd whistle through: :D

What keeps your music fresh?

I think it remains … as you say … “fresh” because it isn’t promoted. It isn’t rammed down people’s throats. It remains a secret. A very large one, but a secret nonetheless.

Is there anything else you want to accomplish?

I’d like to do three more albums, then star in a French film directed by Guillaume Canet. Then I’d like to have my own television show in mid-sentence.

It’s your first time in Manila, what can Filipino fans look forward to?

They can look forward to walking out of the concert hall seven inches taller than when they went in

three more albums, three posible tours, wow I'm really happy :D!!

He thinks What Difference Does it Make stinks? Are you kidding me? Also again with the no relevant artists today.

Last edited:
More whining about record labels, bad Press, no promotion, the Queen etc etc. :sleeping:

He thinks What Difference Does it Make stinks? Are you kidding me?

I think he's always hated it, for some reason. I think the main issue he disliked was the production - in '84 he called it his "only regret" - and then a couple of years ago he said it was 'lyrically shameful' or some such.

"There's a couple of songs I don't like. In fact, I didn't really like them at the time. Like 'What Difference Does It Make', I thought was absolutely awful the day after the record was pressed..." (1992).

You know he wanted to answer this question like so:

How do you keep your old fans and gain new ones?

morrissey-solo.com

More whining about record labels, bad Press, no promotion, the Queen etc etc. :sleeping:

In fairness, that's what these journalists want. I'm not even calling the writers dishonest or evil. Morrissey's whining sells papers and generates website hits. Same old story.

Have you ever noticed that Morrissey sounds infinitely more down-to-earth, sane, and content with life in direct proportion to the length of the article? I have a theory that the better interviewers actually get him talking for hours, warmly and congenially, and when they leave his presence they feel like they've had an interesting, easy-going conversation with a guy who, beneath all the rhetoric, really does have two feet planted in the real world. It's only later, when they've typed up the transcript and see how the words look on their computer screens, that they realize he's dropped a few atomic bombs. I think he comes off a lot more whiny and bitter than he really is. I'd love to ask some of the writers who have interviewed him over the years if they've found this to be true.

Last edited:
In fairness, that's what these journalists want. I'm not even calling the writers dishonest or evil. Morrissey's whining sells papers and generates website hits. Same old story.

Have you ever noticed that Morrissey sounds infinitely more down-to-earth, sane, and content with life in direct proportion to the length of the article? I have a theory that the better interviewers actually get him talking for hours, warmly and congenially, and when they leave his presence they feel like they've had an interesting, easy-going conversation with a guy who, beneath all the rhetoric, really does have two feet planted in the real world. It's only later, when they've typed up the transcript and see how the words look on their computer screens, that they realize he's dropped a few atomic bombs. I think he comes off a lot more whiny and bitter than he really is. I'd love to ask some of the writers who have interviewed him over the years if they've found this to be true.

He probably does, I agree; but no fan knows who Morrissey really is, and when this repetitious anti-Royal axe-grinding is all we've got to go on in print, it doesn't paint a particularly flattering portrait. He just sounds like a man who bears too many grudges and doesn't have much else to talk about. You can blame the journalists all day long, you can say his remarks are taken out of context or twisted to generate sales or whatever else, but at some point you have to read what he's actually saying and realise that it's the same old "I am a martyr" crap again and again.

I think he's always hated it, for some reason. I think the main issue he disliked was the production - in '84 he called it his "only regret" - and then a couple of years ago he said it was 'lyrically shameful' or some such.

"There's a couple of songs I don't like. In fact, I didn't really like them at the time. Like 'What Difference Does It Make', I thought was absolutely awful the day after the record was pressed..." (1992).

I'm pretty sure Johnny Marr has always pegged it as a stinker since the get-go too. Seem to remember reading that somewhere. Madness really. Just goes to show; whadda they know, eh? Nuffink!

I love the "none" answer to who inspires him .. in a time where there is more music now available to us than at any other point in history, he sticks with the head in the sand approach. Yeah mainstream radio is shit, but if that's what you judge music on now then you are missing out on so much. It just reeks of so many people his age all "music was so much better back in my day!". Yeah the quality of what was on the radio was generally better, but the sheer amount of music coming at us from every possible angle now means there is SOMETHING for everyone, if you can't see that then you're either not looking for it, or you're determined not to find it.

He probably does, I agree; but no fan knows who Morrissey really is, and when this repetitious anti-Royal axe-grinding is all we've got to go on in print, it doesn't paint a particularly flattering portrait. He just sounds like a man who bears too many grudges and doesn't have much else to talk about. You can blame the journalists all day long, you can say his remarks are taken out of context or twisted to generate sales or whatever else, but at some point you have to read what he's actually saying and realise that it's the same old "I am a martyr" crap again and again.

Hmm, maybe. Part of me does wonder what else is there really left to say? And is it possible to say it within an interview format? He's not going to talk about anything really personal. He can't talk about how fatherhood/losing a limb/a religious awakening has given him a new perspective. Has he has a personal crisis/trauma/experience which has resulted in personal growth? I don't know. If he did, he doesn't seem the type to insist on talking to 'The Observer' about it. The only thing left for him is something along the lines of age, getting old, retirement - which we all hope is years away from now.

For the most part he is the same person he was all those years ago, living the same life, with the same people surrounding him and somehow either due to the questions posed or to some self imposed restraint, talking about the same things.

I thought the part about his penis being 7 inches long was funny.

3 more albums..... (which I would suggest means one studio album, one b-sides plus collection and one live album)

I love the "none" answer to who inspires him .. in a time where there is more music now available to us than at any other point in history, he sticks with the head in the sand approach. Yeah mainstream radio is shit, but if that's what you judge music on now then you are missing out on so much. It just reeks of so many people his age all "music was so much better back in my day!". Yeah the quality of what was on the radio was generally better, but the sheer amount of music coming at us from every possible angle now means there is SOMETHING for everyone, if you can't see that then you're either not looking for it, or you're determined not to find it.

Well, on the other hand, don't we always read about him going out to see bands he likes, such as The Heartbreaks? He's up on the current scene. He's a fan of contemporary bands.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom