Outsideleft: Can "Shoplifters of the World" Live Up To The Myth It Was Inspired By?

A film review of the new Smiths-inspired Shoplifters of the World at Outsideleft.com -- it might be the first review of the film, I haven't seen any others.

Click here for the article:

Myths are always far more interesting than the truths, especially rock and roll myths. Did Jim Morrison really drop trou in front of a rowdy Florida audience? Did Mama Cass actually choke to death on a ham sandwich? Did an overwrought Smiths fan hijack a radio station at gunpoint, forcing the DJ to play the band’s songs after finding out they had just split?

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't even sound like the writer has seen the movie yet, going off the trailer only, explaining why this does not seem like a proper review.

No it can't and nor should it have to. Myths are not meant to be lived up to. That's why they're called myths.

Doesn't even sound like the writer has seen the movie yet, going off the trailer only, explaining why this does not seem like a proper review.

I am 99% sure he saw it.... If he is a film critic (I assume he is), then no sane person would write "the film is gorgeously filmed and edited" without watching the film.

I am curious about the film, because it may be marvelous, average or really bad.
Some "rock films" have been incredibly disappointing for me. "Closer", about Ian Cutis is like watching a nonsensical soap opera in which, even if you are a hardcore joy Division fan, it gets hard to avoid falling asleep.

So I am curious.

I am 99% sure he saw it.... If he is a film critic (I assume he is), then no sane person would write "the film is gorgeously filmed and edited" without watching the film.

I am curious about the film, because it may be marvelous, average or really bad.
Some "rock films" have been incredibly disappointing for me. "Closer", about Ian Cutis is like watching a nonsensical soap opera in which, even if you are a hardcore joy Division fan, it gets hard to avoid falling asleep.

So I am curious.
he said the same thing i said from watching the trailer,i said it was well shot with a great colour pallette,he said it was gorgeously filmed and edited.trailers give a lot away,especially direction and how the film will look.still not sure if he has seen it because he gives very little away and only skims the actual storyline and hardly even mentions any characters.

They really might be on to somethin' if they do it like a dream.
That way they can stay true to what really happened and then
also serve the Smith myth as a dream in his head.
It'd be more Smiths like if they did it that way.
Haha. They just might be on to somethin'.

he said the same thing i said from watching the trailer,i said it was well shot with a great colour pallette,he said it was gorgeously filmed and edited.trailers give a lot away,especially direction and how the film will look.still not sure if he has seen it because he gives very little away and only skims the actual storyline and hardly even mentions any characters.
i am assuming that he watched the movie, I can't imagine a movie critic writing that a film has a good edition because of a trailer.

Anyway, the article doesn't say much about the movie itself, but simply speculates about the fate that a movie like that one may have. I am curious too... I do not know if the movie will be only interesting for hardcore smiths fans... or if it will be a good movie without caring if the person watching even knows that the Smiths is not a fictional band.

Cinema meets Rock is a very strange genre and in most cases the results have been quite bad.
The only movie I remember to have liked about fans of a band would be "Linda Linda". A Japanese movie about a small group of girls who are fans of the most classic Japanese punk band, The Blue Hearts and they want to play a song by them at the graduation ceremony of their high school... so the movie is mostly their rehearsals of one single song. A very simple plot, but it's good.

Watching the trailer, there were definitely some nice shots in there. But it seems kind of cheesy. Some of those lines spoken in the trailer, the love story, etc... seem so forced/cheesy (to use that word again) and the acting seems kind of bad. I get it's a low budget movie (anybody know the budget? I would guess $1M - $2M) and I appreciate that. But I think it's gonna get most of it's views because of the music and fans of the Smiths. I don't think it'll get the attention of most movie goers. I love the smiths, but I have no real desire to watch this movie.

Just my humble opinion.

This movie will go down in celluloid history! :rock: Great job guys.

Tags
shoplifters movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom