Paddock Wood, Kent - Hop Farm Music Festival 2011 (July 2, 2011) post-show

Re: Article: Paddock Wood, Kent - Hop Farm Music Festival 2011 (July 2, 2011) post-sh

I hate to say this, but he looks sickening good on the big screen :)
http://yfrog.com/gzvkfyxwj (from FatGayVegan)

"Lou was haggard god bless him, Iggy was nuts, morrissey is just coming on."
"Morrissey now. A spring chicken compared with the rest"

lol

"People grow up, get older, and start responding differently to things; even you. Living in the past and hoping that things will forever stay the same, that's what lets you down. "

Fully agree. It's lunacy to hang onto things as they were 10, 15, 20 years ago! To me that's common sense. Of course Morrissey is different now, yes, but he is still the most charismatic performer. I don't see the point in comparing him to "his younger self". I enjoy his gigs here and now.

Re: Article: Paddock Wood, Kent - Hop Farm Music Festival 2011 (July 2, 2011) post-sh

Fully agree. It's lunacy to hang onto things as they were 10, 15, 20 years ago! To me that's common sense. Of course Morrissey is different now, yes, but he is still the most charismatic performer. I don't see the point in comparing him to "his younger self". I enjoy his gigs here and now.

The irony is that if you watch the youtube clips of his current concerts, he often looks and moves remarkably like the 80s Morrissey in the 10s body. Often, not always, other times he looks like the 09 Morrissey in the 10s body. If you really get an idea of what Morrissey is about, you can also see that his performances in the 80s were not that different from his current ones. His life situation is different and what he has achieved, but apart from this, no. When people tell you about the concerts they experienced in the 80s and 90s, their experiences were not that different either. He seemed to have done the same things. His singing voice however is better now. Watch Live in Dallas. Do you really want to tell me that this was a musical masterpiece?

I considered getting tickets for Hop Farm but couldn't bear to watch Jesse Tobias slaughter Marr/Whyte/Boorer classics again with his power cords.

Morrissey is a genius with a pub rock backing band. A very simple problem with a very simple solution. It's sad and yet reliably true that washed up stars can never quite see that they are washed up. Name me a single washed up star that didn't cling on until the insight expired? It's usually others who see it first - well almost always. For example, the press - they saw it a while ago; or the record companies - they no longer want to relase Morrissey records; or then again his own fans - who are now leaving in droves.

He is still capable of genius but while he surrounds himself with a pub rock band he's finished. Until the man wakes up and sees what everyone else sees, he's finished.

Think I'm wrong? Just listen to Jesse murder This Charming Man. If the band Morrissey has with him today actually wrote this charming man, it probably wouldn't chart so bad is their rendition of the song. What does this prove? It proves incontrovertibly that Morrissey's band are able to polish a pearl and turn it into a tu**. All the crass kids and sentimental hopeless cases can continue labelling truetellers as 'trolls' and defending the indefensible. Meanwhile the civilised world is on the verge of dumping Mozza completely.

Not because he poses with thuggish footballers, not because he's no longer great, not even because he's become a bit of a bore. No, it's because he fronts a pub rock band and is in danger of turning himself into a cabaret act. This is the moment his career will implode. Just watch.

I think we both agree. Moz requires someone else with real gravitas, real ideas, real independence to bring the best out of him. All the great partnerships had that: Lennon/Macca, Morrissey/Marr, Brown/Squire. Once they left the band situation and the tensions, there was a notable decline in every case. Thankfully Moz still had good songwriters around him for most of his solo career and therefore has remained more relevant than most artists who disbanded great bands. But Tobias is the low water mark.

I can't see why anyone would recommend reuniting with Craig Gannon - did he even pen a Morrissey or Smiths song? WHat makes you think a Smiths session musician would be the way to go? Are you CG?!

I find it extraordinary that you're suggesting Craig Gannon or Robbie Williams' co-writer ahead of John Squire - a genius guitarist and wonderful songwriter who just needs a new foil, Reilly who is also superbly gifted and quite radical, and Butler who is probably the greatest guitarist/songwriter of the past 15 years. I believe Moz did actually approach Butler, but Butler had decided to form the Tears by that point and therefore declined Morrissey's offer. He then went on the web and posted some snide remarks about Morrissey's band, which means Moz will never be able to work with him now - his pride precludes it. It's a shame because both of them are geniuses and only Butler among the credible, talented guitarists currently out of work can produce the kind of glam rock Morrissey aspires to. He'll never get there with Jesse! I would actually envisage Morrissey/Butler sounding somewhere between T Rex and Dog Man Star, which would be truly orgasmic. Butler can play anything and can cr*p better stuff than Jesse. If Butler is out of the question, why not approach Squire? He's another ego-driven chap but he's quite artistic and interesting, quite intelligent and a magnificent guitarist. Even if it only lasted for one album, what has he really got to lose? I don't understand it. For God's sake, drop that pub rock power-cord playing session musician and hire SOMEONE - ANYONE - with a track record of great songwriting and guitar playing.

Imagine how dreadful Marc Bolan would have sounded if he had not played guitar and instead had hired a pub rock guitarist - that is how Morrissey sounds now. The world is being denied something truly special. Because - and I say this with love for Morrissey, not malice for his band - Morrissey remains an extraordinarily gifted singer-songwriter. With the right foil, he could be producing stuff as exciting and throat-squeezing as The Queen is Dead. With Butler, Squire, Reilly, that could happen. Until then we'll have to pray for a few moments of genius from Whyte for the next album, because it requires epic songwriting to transform anything Jesse plays into a passable piece of pop music.

Morrissey - drop Jesse before it's too late. One more AOR album and you're finished. And stop deluding yourself that a few sassy warbles and a bit of sp*nk turns a pub rock band into T Rex - it doesn't. The band cannot play glam, and you are going to become a jaded pub rocker if you don't do a U-turn sharpish.

I considered getting tickets for Hop Farm but couldn't bear to watch Jesse Tobias slaughter Marr/Whyte/Boorer classics again with his power cords.

That's fair comment and it's your opinion , at least you stuck by your beliefs. I am utterly amazed at the amount of people on here who slaughter the band (from previous gigs or current clips on Youtube) but then STILL pay good money to go and see him . Then come on here and whinge ..................
Leave the guy alone , let those who still like him do so , and move on.

I don't say much here, but I'm Australian and would have given ANYTHING to see this. "Anonymous - Today, 01:49 AM", YOU and your whinging ilk are why they wore those t-shirts at Bradford. :crazy:

Morrissey is a genius ... his own fans - who are now leaving in droves...

He is still capable of genius but while he surrounds himself with a pub rock band he's finished. Until the man wakes up and sees what everyone else sees, he's finished...

Meanwhile the civilised world is on the verge of dumping Mozza completely.

The band cannot play glam, and you are going to become a jaded pub rocker if you don't do a U-turn sharpish.

1) Fair-to-middling application for NME hack job. But - you really think a man his mid-50's with a track record of originality suddenly aspires to sound like T Rex or any other glam band? You're kidding, surely?

2) Squire - who he? Richard Hawley would have been a more interesting and more musically dignified option at this stage in Morrissey's life/career.

3) Bernard Butler didn't want to TOUR with Moz (that was the problem there).

4) As has been said here many times before, those songs in the set list wouldn 't sound that way if MORRISSEY DID NOT WANT THEM TO. You really think he says to Jesse during rehearsals, "Could you just ruin this one with some random power chords..." ? Personally I think Marr's licks in the original recordings were samey and repetitive - and they always sounded hesitant and dreadful live. This band has balls and I for one love it.

5) As for all these fans allegedly leaving in droves and the civilised world allegedly about to "drop" Morrissey...your evidence is where exactly? The trolls who infest and infect this site? The lack of record contract (been there before, no problem)? Can't be the fact that the gigs are selling just as fast as they ever did...

Bedroom critics: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Do you have any idea why Iggy's body has so many wrinkles? I tried to figure it out with the help of Google, because I did not ask before, but did not find much of an answer. There was only one album cover on which he seemed to have cut himself.

Many years sunning himself. He has lived in Miami for years, too. He even looked pretty good in the 90s, but all that sun finally has caught up with him. Plus, he's creeping up on 70!

1) Fair-to-middling application for NME hack job.

*tittered at that one*
But - you really think a man his mid-50's with a track record of originality suddenly aspires to sound like T Rex or any other glam band? You're kidding, surely?

*do I really think a man in his mid-50s with a track record of originality suddenly aspires to sound like Marc Bolan fronting a pub rock band in 4/4 time? No. But if you do wish to play songs with a certain gusto (Skull, Daddy's Voice) and many that attempt it (Future when all's well, Streets I Ran, OK BY Myself) but fall flat on their noses, then at least find a band capable of performing the songs you are writing*

2) Squire - who he?

*a genius, arguably the greatest indie/blues/rock guitarist to come from Britain since Clapton - unlike Clapton, has taste and an aesthetic Mozza could work with.*
Richard Hawley would have been a more interesting and more musically dignified option at this stage in Morrissey's life/career.
*musically dignified? From a man who hired Alanis Morrissette's session musician as his lead 'axe'/songwriter? Great irony!*

3) Bernard Butler didn't want to TOUR with Moz (that was the problem there).

*interesting. News to me. But he also posted online criticisms of Morrissey's band - really cutting stuff. Hence I think it went a bit deeper - perhaps he wanted more creative control than Mozza was willing to relinquish, and perhaps he wanted to take over from Boz*

4) As has been said here many times before, those songs in the set list wouldn 't sound that way if MORRISSEY DID NOT WANT THEM TO. You really think he says to Jesse during rehearsals, "Could you just ruin this one with some random power chords..." ?

*Hilarious line. I laughed out loud at any rate. No, I don't. But then I can scarcely imagine Morrissey saying, "right I know what this band needs - that guy who left the Chili Peppers after seventeen days and once toured with One Hand in His Pocket. Lovely power chords. Sign here, old chap."
Personally I think Marr's licks in the original recordings were samey and repetitive - and they always sounded hesitant and dreadful live. This band has balls and I for one love it.

*Oh come on. Is this Morrissey flogging a dead horse?*

5) As for all these fans allegedly leaving in droves and the civilised world allegedly about to "drop" Morrissey...your evidence is where exactly? The trolls who infest and infect this site? The lack of record contract (been there before, no problem)? Can't be the fact that the gigs are selling just as fast as they ever did...

*fast selling gigs doesn't preclude a creative/critical decline. Look at the Rolling Stones. Or the Velvet Underground. Get with the game. Morrissey will be finished if he lets Tobias co-write his next AOR album*
Bedroom critics: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

*zzzzzzzzzzz. Did someone say something? Zzzzzzzzzzzz*

I'll address each point above.

www.morrisseysworld.blogspot.com

"and all because....... the lady loves" then burst in to laughter! Great banter last night.:lbf:
aha.thanks
wonder what he mean by that.-
i couldnt make it out what he did say , i rather under stand "all becauce of the ladies love..:eek: .i cannot recall after which song is was .hmmm..

he was excellent there i great that he walked down the stairs and did come to the barrier to shake hands as the gap was way too huge (well its an festival-the usual big gap)for stretching even for mozzer used to almost dilocate his arm when strechting over the gap to shake hands;)
thanks to fat gay vegan to upload this
336806102.jpg

336806759.jpg

i cannot recall he did this befor neither on solo gigs and not on festivals
cause he rather chooses the"not go to them,,let them come to you"
im pretty sure he did this twice one on alma matters the other on?hmm paris?
the guy who filmed this chooes to have the camera onto the guitarist during most of ithat moment*doh*
he look terrific on the big screen -esp in that white shirt...
58969910902fa60bc1f3o.jpg

lots of other chatter of how hard its too follow after iggy, that he loves the line up of iggy patti and lou and people have the power ,get rid of your government, get rid of royality...and more chatter/quips i cannot remember..the i love you at the end was heartfelt:love:.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the pictures, I am in the second one ( half my face above the orange sleeve) it was taken shortly after I had shaken hands with Morrissey, it wasn't me who tried to pull his arm off ! It was, as you can imagine, one of the best nights of my life and I have been buzzing ever since. Just wondering if you have any other pictures/video of that moment, one that captures me shaking hands ? It would be very special to me. I even managed to pick up one of Boz,s plectrums at the end, rounding off a great night !
I have to agree with all your review, Patti was moving and uplifting, Lou cut a tragic figure on stage whilst Iggy was wild and dangerous just what the place needed.
Thank you once again for your pictures.x
The whole event was magnificent. Except for Lou Reed. I have never been more bored during a set and I was once forced to go to a Wet Wet Wet show.

Patti was terrific. Her energy and enthusiasm for what she does was infectious. Iggy & The Stooges absolutely blew everyone away. By about the third song, Iggy dragged about 30 people on stage to dance with him and his set was simply a powerhouse. I loved every second.

Morrissey was in amazing form. His voice was close to the best I've heard. I know I said that after York but it seemed better again. Everything he sang was so effortless and he was back to making some fabulous yelps and growls. He seemed to really want to interact with the front, hence the two trips down to the barrier. That was until someone or some people tried to yank his arm off.

Here is a pic of people grabbing him: http://twitpic.com/5kix92

And a pic of Moz making a quick retreat after being hurt by said people: http://twitpic.com/5kixrb

Panic was a blistering end to an already stellar show. I couldn't have asked for more. It was such a pleasure to be there.

Spotted most of the band strolling around in the crowd during earlier acts. Most hilarious part of the evening was during the drive home. We were about to enter the Blackwall Tunnel to re-enter central London when we looked to the car beside and saw it was being driven by Lyn with Boz in the passenger seat and their family in the back. I was waving to them like a lunatic. It was fun to have the Boorers beside us for a few miles of the post show drive!

patti smith said along the lines how great is "to to play on the same day as
with your cultural icon" moz must have burst with pride surely;)
i still cant quite remember which was the 2nd song he did go to the barrier again..paris? and whats abou the connection of his ladies love comment and an advert? explain?
my own pics taken by an analog cheap camera (non digital)
hopfarm-1.jpg

Dear Goinghome,

You forgot to mention how beautiful the 3 women were! Especially as I was the one who shouted out MILK TRAY!
I'm amazed you found us so annoying - in comparsion to the drunk teenagers with stinky armpits and full bum crack on display or the people who just kept pushing in a vain attempt to get close to the front.
A word of advise if this obviously so annoying curcumstance should happen to you again - MOVE! and let us mere mortals enjoy ourselves in peace.

Ms Milk Tray

"The most civilised festival in the UK". That's what Morrissey said about Hopfarm.

The crowds poured in on a dreaded sunny day. Mary Coughlan was singing for the early birds when we arrived midday. Damien Dempsey was in great form. What an amazing song 'Maasai' is! Brother borrow a lot from Suede as does Frankie and the Heartstrings, to a lesser extent. Newton Faulkner's an interactive, charming genius. "U.F.O.---hello!" :D

Magazine's intensity caused some perplexity. Patti Smith enthralled everyone, her immortal butterfly spirit alighting everywhere at once; beautiful. God bless Lou Reed, as Morrissey said later. He's slowed down, but the Velvet Underground were always coming from a place without conventional equilibrium. The crowd thoroughly enjoyed the video of his youthful interview during the montage. Iggy Pop stole all hearts away, a whirlwind on legs, inviting stage-invaders up (including a Moz irregular regular who got manhandled by security and thrown to the back), strutting fearlessly into the crowd. 'How can anyone be expected to follow that?' asked Morrissey after him. Which is why he can, because he pays his dues to his influences, blending and transcending.

Morrissey's first words on stage were 'my pretty face is going straight to hell', adapting an older Stooges lyric. The masses lapped up the show. The Kid's A Looker replaced People Are the Same Everywhere; Speedway was played, and Panic brought the night to a close. He said he loved Iggy, Lou Reed, Patti Smith, and he also loved Boz Boorer, going on to name each of the band-members when introducing them, adding, 'as for me, Action Is My Middle Name', which he sang. A few times he stressed that it was up to the people to take back power and choose better government, no royalty and so on. Before Meat is Murder, he said that eating meat is the number one threat to the planet. He yelped the first few bars like a creature in pain, and the song ended on a prolonged crescendo, with gongs and flashing red lights, making its mark. Coincidentally my friend had brought for me Jeffrey Masson's 'The Face on Your Plate' which backs it all up.

Faces around me were rapt, the audience a ready-made backing choir. Three women near me annoyed for a while as they were taking pictures of each other and phoning home excitedly during the show! But sometimes they'd take to a song, vocalising with gusto, and one turned to the others at some point, exclaiming theatrically, 'oh, I'm so happy'/! She wasn't the only one finding herself suddenly dipped into a pool of joy. One of them also shouted up at him, after he came back for the encore saying 'just because', and reminded him of an old advert catchphrase, 'and all because the lady loves Milk Tray', which he seemed to slightly acknowledge. Leaving the stage he simply cried, 'I love you'; the needed and wanted thing. Last Saturday in Kent, the garden of England, Morrissey, accompanied by his hopping men, was the prize-winning rose!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dear Goinghome,

You forgot to mention how beautiful the 3 women were! Especially as I was the one who shouted out MILK TRAY!
I'm amazed you found us so annoying - in comparsion to the drunk teenagers with stinky armpits and full bum crack on display or the people who just kept pushing in a vain attempt to get close to the front.
A word of advise if this obviously so annoying circumstance should happen to you again - MOVE! and let us mere mortals enjoy ourselves in peace.

Ms Milk Tray

"The most civilised festival in the UK". That's what Morrissey said about Hopfarm.

The crowds poured in on a dreaded sunny day. Mary Coughlan was singing for the early birds when we arrived midday. Damien Dempsey was in great form. What an amazing song 'Maasai' is! Brother borrow a lot from Suede as does Frankie and the Heartstrings, to a lesser extent. Newton Faulkner's an interactive, charming genius. "U.F.O.---hello!" :D

Magazine's intensity caused some perplexity. Patti Smith enthralled everyone, her immortal butterfly spirit alighting everywhere at once; beautiful. God bless Lou Reed, as Morrissey said later. He's slowed down, but the Velvet Underground were always coming from a place without conventional equilibrium. The crowd thoroughly enjoyed the video of his youthful interview during the montage. Iggy Pop stole all hearts away, a whirlwind on legs, inviting stage-invaders up (including a Moz irregular regular who got manhandled by security and thrown to the back), strutting fearlessly into the crowd. 'How can anyone be expected to follow that?' asked Morrissey after him. Which is why he can, because he pays his dues to his influences, blending and transcending.

Morrissey's first words on stage were 'my pretty face is going straight to hell', adapting an older Stooges lyric. The masses lapped up the show. The Kid's A Looker replaced People Are the Same Everywhere; Speedway was played, and Panic brought the night to a close. He said he loved Iggy, Lou Reed, Patti Smith, and he also loved Boz Boorer, going on to name each of the band-members when introducing them, adding, 'as for me, Action Is My Middle Name', which he sang. A few times he stressed that it was up to the people to take back power and choose better government, no royalty and so on. Before Meat is Murder, he said that eating meat is the number one threat to the planet. He yelped the first few bars like a creature in pain, and the song ended on a prolonged crescendo, with gongs and flashing red lights, making its mark. Coincidentally my friend had brought for me Jeffrey Masson's 'The Face on Your Plate' which backs it all up.

Faces around me were rapt, the audience a ready-made backing choir. Three women near me annoyed for a while as they were taking pictures of each other and phoning home excitedly during the show! But sometimes they'd take to a song, vocalising with gusto, and one turned to the others at some point, exclaiming theatrically, 'oh, I'm so happy'/! She wasn't the only one finding herself suddenly dipped into a pool of joy. One of them also shouted up at him, after he came back for the encore saying 'just because', and reminded him of an old advert catchphrase, 'and all because the lady loves Milk Tray', which he seemed to slightly acknowledge. Leaving the stage he simply cried, 'I love you'; the needed and wanted thing. Last Saturday in Kent, the garden of England, Morrissey, accompanied by his hopping men, was the prize-winning rose!

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom