Pepe Jeans 1985 Cinema Advert

johnnyfavourite

Hi everyone.

Apologies if this is a question that's already been answered, I'm in need of some help and wisdom...

As a young lad, I remember very clearly going to the cinema a few times and seeing a jeans advert for the company Pepe - the advert cut between a native american doing a rain-dance and a group of kids sheltering from a storm, all to the sound of "How Soon Is Now?".

If you can imagine your first introduction to that song being via a set of 80s cinema speakers in Purley, boom crackle and extra throb a-plenty, then hopefully my claim of this moment being a life-changing introduction to music proper won't sound too overblown.

I'm desperately trying to find a copy of the advert though - I've looked through youtube but to no avail, and various internet searches find me details but no actual clip...

Does anyone know of a place where this might be uploaded for all to enjoy?

Many thanks in advance,

JF.

I wasn't in the UK in 1985, it's news to me.

If it wasn't shown on TV, you won't find it anywhere unless you manage to track down the ad agency which is the creator of the ad.

i dont know where to get a link, but i clearly remember that cinema ad too, so dont think u dreampt it.

I've been wanting to see this for ages too - just for the novelty of having a Smiths song in an ad.

Ah, it was fantastic - it's really hard to do it any justice with description alone, but the music perfectly suited the imagery and made something very special I reckon.

The guy who directed it is apparently Marek Kanievska, who also directed the film "Less Than Zero" (amongst others). I did find a great post about it and Emailed the blog writer to see if he could help, he was friends with Marek's son and as such has a collection of his showreels - but apparently he's lost his VHS copy of the advert.

The search continues!

I was more of an "oh, oh, Sergio" fan myself.

Great to see that after all these years. Love the rain.

Thanks! I didnt know SMITHS music was ever on Advertisements! :thumb:

I remember seeing this in the cinema when I was maybe 12 years old. It's given me goose bumbs watching it again even though I heard How Soon Is Now? a million times. Thanks for posting

I totally agree with Jean Marais there - that was quite an emotional moment!!

Wow... fantastic stuff, the poster is a legend!

Thank you thank you.

Rad. I do recall seeing this commercial somewheres....maybe an old Smiths/Moz VHS compilation tape....Something about seeing that clip that just made me long for the early 90s, hold the grunge though....the ways guys dressed, and womens fashions aswell.

Back
Top Bottom