Philadelphia, PA - The Academy of Music (June 20, 2015) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Suedehead / Staircase At The University / Ganglord / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Speedway / Kiss Me A Lot / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Will Never Marry / Istanbul / Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed / Now My Heart Is Full / Everyday Is Like Sunday / One Of Our Own / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / The Bullfighter Dies / Meat Is Murder / What She Said // First Of The Gang To Die

setlist provided by Johnnymel9

• Morrissey @ The Academy of Music, review and photos (34 total) by Mina Lee - JUMP: The Philly Music Project. Link posted by an anonymous person.

philadelphia.jpg

Last edited:
So excited for Worcester. May I ask exactly HOW you guys are getting your pit seats?

When I went to buy them from the venue I put 3 front row seats on my cart, but when I went to check out it said they were "no longer available" :( Happened over and over. Finally got seats in Row Q. I wasn't happy so I ended up getting closer seats from an online ticket agency for a shitload of $$$. But now I'm in row F! HOW are you getting the seats right up close to the stage? Please tell me your secrets :)

I'm going with my husband and my 12 year old daughter --- SO psyched she wanted to come! I know I should be happier but I want to be closer for a handshake or shirt toss area!

I'm a lifelong fan but this will only be my 2nd show. First one I had tickets for was cancelled many years ago while I was driving there.

So so so excited for Wednesday. xoxo

Last edited:
My oldest son just said he wants us to see Morrissey for his birthday (next week). It would have to be four tickets in a less rowdy spot for two kids and us old folks. Not sure if we can pull all that off so late in the game. :(

Plenty of MSG seats available.

Great video on youtube of Matt destroying his drum set after Firefly, cute that it is up for auction now. Thanks Philly for a warm reception for Moz..Sounded like a great show.

That is not the drum face up for auction. The auction piece is from the Sydney shows.

This made my morning! I was so happy for you! There was such a rat's nest occurring there at the intro to "Suedehead" and things got jumbled and we all kind of converged on each other, which, ultimately moved you up a row, which was fantastic. Your friend also got moved up and, I still chuckle when I picture the way she turned to me in disbelief and shrugged her shoulders as if to say, "Well, then...I'm fine with getting up here." It was wonderful! Then, I said to your friend, "She can get up there, you know," and I pointed at this perfect spot that miraculously popped out of nowhere right at the stage and up you went (where you were greeted by other nice fans who gave you the shot you had at Moz)!

I feel as if a supernatural syzygy occurred that night and the group of us were destined to experience something on an almost ethereal level. Everything seemed aligned and we all walked away in a daze of happiness, no? When I saw him come over to you and take your hand, I had goosebumps and I felt your joy. In the scuffle that was happening at the start of the shirt toss (as Morrissey was deciding which way to toss it), I thought you would get knocked over and I worried for you because the security guard was an inattentive dunderhead so I moved in a bit and I'm glad I did since there was a heap of bodies that came our way as the shirt whizzed by. Oddly enough, after it was over and we started moving out, and largely because of you, I was able to snag a bit of that shirt. In a way, it's because of YOU that I was "in the right spot at the right time." I have to thank you. I do. Thank you. Thanks for putting me where I was supposed to be and for sharing your wonderful experience with me. What a night! What a wonderful night.

View attachment 34291
View attachment 34292
View attachment 34293
View attachment 34290

I agree, there was definitely something in the air and throughout the feeling of the crowd. I am still reeling from the excitement. I am not even sure how he saw me with all the people around because the stage was so high. I did reach out before and I wasn't able to get close which is why that kind guy picked me up. I was close to him that time which was also great. My arms and legs were painful, beginning to buckle, and about to give out as I was standing there. I was about to go sit down when Morrissey came over to me. I still can't believe he saw me and knelt down. When he grabbed my hand, it wasn't just a single grab. He kept squeezing my hand over and over tightly with really kind intent. It was unforgettable. Thank you for all of the concern and protective behavior. I was also nervous about getting knocked down at the end. I decided to stay where I was so that I wouldn't get knocked down while in motion. It just goes to show that there are really good people in the world and in our section everyone was there for good positive reasons and in spite of chaos, good things came out of it. Someone asked in the blog about my disability. I was born with a dwarfism. I have been on crutches for over 20 years because the dwarfism causes arthritis, osteoporosis, and joints to wear out. I have had many facture surgeries and 6 hip replacements. I am grateful I can walk and I get around fairly well all things considered. I am very lucky. I can drive, I go to work every day, and I got to finally see Morrissey live and have great experience with all of you wonderful people.

Do you mean that you are trying to get into the Jimmy Fallon taping?
I thought about it, but it's an all day about 7am - 5pm wait to possibly be told to go home.
I'd love to be in the studio but since they book one month in advance, it's highly unlikely any true fans (maybe some random ones!) got tickets.

Next time, Lynnda. :) Next time. There WILL be a next time.

- - - Updated - - -

The guys on the stage were his security, but the theater's security was harsh, too. I'm still pissed that I didn't pop that one guy who blocked Morrissey from me through most of the damn show.

- - - Updated - - -

I have "a friend" who is trying to get us in, but we might end up at "The Tonight Show" instead. I guess we'll see. One or the other would be grand.

- - - Updated - - -

From a lovely gal (who is oh, so adorable) on FB who snagged front row seats at the last minute:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great great show! awesome crowd too!!!
Wore my usual Moz-show vintage shirt from "Your Arsenal" tour, I still can't believe it's been 24 bloody years since the first time I saw him (and did not miss any of his tours since), lost count on number of times but this was def. a great show and even better venues, I was at row CCC which was amazing as it wasn't crowded, (although two girls had to argue half of the show - god knows why - one of them was the one who went on stage twice). Another cool surprise was the Hebrew subtitles during Meat is Murder...though those videos were truly terrifying....
I could live with more old songs like "Will never Marry" and def. more Smiths songs but Ganglord was a great surprise (I did not look at any previous shows set list from this tour :) )

See y'all in MSG - GA of course!!

Wow. Such a lovely, congenial, flat-out-fun gig.

Beautiful theatre, packed to the rafters. Morrissey was chatty, warm, and obviously very happy to be in Philadelphia; the crowd was vocal and enthusiastic, and he drank it all in ("right back at you" he said at one point). He thanked us for erasing the memory of Delaware.

It's been said many times, but it's so true: the man has never sounded better. His voice this evening was strong, sure and unwavering. On past tours there have been moments when he's sounded reedy, or his voice has cracked: not tonight. I just can't get over what a powerful singer he continues to be. There were moments when he held and teased a note that just took my breath away.

Highlights for me were: "Now My Heart is Full," "Ganglord" (such powerful footage), "Will Never Marry" and (oddly) "Mamma Lay Softly..." which isn't really one of my favorites, but the lyrics are so sad, and the vocals are so swooping - it's such a delightful, penny dreadful confection of a song, and he sang it with great emotion.

Morrissey was fully "present" for every song: at no point did he phone it in or lose the thread. His energy didn't waver. That being said, the audience wasn't as active as it could have been. I was dancing and having a wonderful time, but where I was (first few rows), it seemed that, while people were clearly enjoying themselves, there wasn't a blood frenzy as in days of yore. Perhaps the time for that kind of audience reaction is well and truly over.

A few caveats: the band is tight, powerful and on point, but they lack a certain "oomph." They're bringing it in at 9.5 (which is great), but Morrissey deserves 11. That moment at the end of "Speedway" where the band switches it up was a bit irritating: some of the most powerful lines in one of Morrissey's most powerful songs just don't have the resonance when Gustavo sings them (Mr. Anaesthesine thought it was delightful though, so to each their own). As always, the set list was just fine, but Morrissey is sitting on one of the greatest back catalogs of all time, and there are songs that deserve to be sung, and seldom are.

I was really struck this evening with how fully "Morrissey" Morrissey still is. I haven't seen him in a long time, but he still has a way of making the stage seem like a living room: great intimacy - it still feels like catching up with an old friend. His comic timing is still so sharp: we're lucky to have such a singular figure still in our midst.

*sigh* Bread'n'circuses Guy Bedord #SocietyOfTheSpectacle #CultOfMorrissey Like nuns at a shrine to a long-discredited saint they congregate, spinning yards, ululations and eulogies all based on nonsensical reificications. Morrissey is a liar, a fraud, a pseud and a Corpsetarian. His #fans are even worse, the single most deluded cult in popular culture. Thankfully an antidote has emerged in the form of #VegAnarchyInTheUk and, sadly, for sourpuss Morrissey, the cranky bitch from Manchester, #BrummieBoy is easily the most poweful and influential vapour trail in human culture. Forget Elvis. Forget Madonna, nobody of sound mind would even mention Morrissey. Nick Drake perhaps.... but #VegAnarchyInTheUK will finally tell the tale of how and when Morrissey and John Rotten/Lydon met the 'shy bald Buddhist Sabbath acolyte from B10' and how the endless rock'n'roll swindles of decades came crashing like alabaster to the ground.

f*** MORRISSEY
f*** HIS APOLOGISTS
f*** BRUMMIEBOY
f*** PUNKROCK

#VegAnarchyInTheUK
#WelcomeToTheGardenOfVegEireann

etc

~The Ghost Of BrummieBoy
somewhere in Copenhagen, gathering evidence about #DavidTMorrissey

24 bloody years for me as well since the last time I saw him at MSG. :thumb:

Great great show! awesome crowd too!!!
Wore my usual Moz-show vintage shirt from "Your Arsenal" tour, I still can't believe it's been 24 bloody years since the first time I saw him (and did not miss any of his tours since), lost count on number of times but this was def. a great show and even better venues, I was at row CCC which was amazing as it wasn't crowded, (although two girls had to argue half of the show - god knows why - one of them was the one who went on stage twice). Another cool surprise was the Hebrew subtitles during Meat is Murder...though those videos were truly terrifying....
I could live with more old songs like "Will never Marry" and def. more Smiths songs but Ganglord was a great surprise (I did not look at any previous shows set list from this tour :) )

See y'all in MSG - GA of course!!

*sigh* Bread'n'circuses Guy Bedord #SocietyOfTheSpectacle #CultOfMorrissey Like nuns at a shrine to a long-discredited saint they congregate, spinning yards, ululations and eulogies all based on nonsensical reificications. Morrissey is a liar, a fraud, a pseud and a Corpsetarian. His #fans are even worse, the single most deluded cult in popular culture. Thankfully an antidote has emerged in the form of #VegAnarchyInTheUk and, sadly, for sourpuss Morrissey, the cranky bitch from Manchester, #BrummieBoy is easily the most poweful and influential vapour trail in human culture. Forget Elvis. Forget Madonna, nobody of sound mind would even mention Morrissey. Nick Drake perhaps.... but #VegAnarchyInTheUK will finally tell the tale of how and when Morrissey and John Rotten/Lydon met the 'shy bald Buddhist Sabbath acolyte from B10' and how the endless rock'n'roll swindles of decades came crashing like alabaster to the ground.

f*** MORRISSEY
f*** HIS APOLOGISTS
f*** BRUMMIEBOY
f*** PUNKROCK

#VegAnarchyInTheUK
#WelcomeToTheGardenOfVegEireann

etc

~The Ghost Of BrummieBoy
somewhere in Copenhagen, gathering evidence about #DavidTMorrissey

That reminds me. I need to watch PSYCHO again.

24 bloody years for me as well since the last time I saw him at MSG. :thumb:

Ha! yep, we're THAT old..."Do - you - love me like you use to?" and yes we're def. dancing, laughing and finally living...

Do you think he'll make a gesture for us with "Piccadilly Palare"?? by far his only solo song I wish was on set.
Also how come I'm always on the show he decides NOT to play The Queen is Dead??

Just watching video of Moz doing Mute Witness at MSG in '91.
Wouldn't it be nice if he threw in a gem from the set list back on that day 7/13/91. For nostalgia.

Ha! yep, we're THAT old..."Do - you - love me like you use to?" and yes we're def. dancing, laughing and finally living...

Do you think he'll make a gesture for us with "Piccadilly Palare"?? by far his only solo song I wish was on set.
Also how come I'm always on the show he decides NOT to play The Queen is Dead??

Last edited:
So nicely put (as always).

Yes: the mess in Delaware also put me on high alert. I think many of us had visions of Morrissey being thrown off his game enough to cancel the next night. The moment he walked on stage, looked into that beautiful room, and heard the roar of the crowd you could see the glint in his eye: tonight would be the night. As a performer I find Morrissey's "transparency" in that regard quite moving. Comparisons to, say, Paul McCartney reveal this: McCartney is a showman - he'll give you a flawless, professional gig every single time. He'll say the right thing, and be charming, and you'll have a wonderful evening. Much as I revere Paul's talent (and commitment to animal welfare) however, I just don't find him personally compelling - he always puts his best face forward.

Morrissey, on the other hand, is not all that professional: he will occasionally stumble, he'll say exactly what he's thinking when he really shouldn't. He's too sensitive by far, and it always shows. I find it quite moving, however, that he continues to be honest with his audience in that regard, and that he continues to "turn sickness into popular song." Yes: we've all had our share of cancellations and stormings-off, and it's always a kick in the gut. But on a great night you're getting something rare and genuine, and it's unlike what most other performers can (or will) give you. It's tough to rehearse and put together a professional show, but it's tougher still to let people see that inner turmoil. Morrissey often makes it look easy, but these things take their toll.

I think you nailed it with your comment about Morrissey's transparency. He is a talented and good looking man, so if he had been a good boy early on and followed the rules of his industry, he might have achieved a higher level of commercial success; however, that type of success is usually fleeting. Only a few, like Sir Paul, can maintain their popularity. Morrissey just couldn't wear that disguise, and I am very happy that he chose to be consistently genuine. I'm sure that it must be unbearably frustrating for him to reconcile with the fact that extraordinary talent doesn't always equate to mass popularity and respect, and its very likely that this frustration has caused many of the melt downs over the years. As you said, it's frustrating, especially for those who have faithfully supported him, but he is a man driven more by emotion than reason, and that's what makes him such a profound writer. I hope that he's found some peace in knowing that he has developed a very large and extremely devoted fanbase that will stay with him through both triumphs and struggles.

lynnda

That reminds me. I need to watch PSYCHO again.

Watch Morrissey singing the Eavis-censored version of 'Meat Is Murder' at the ultimate animal slaughter-fest that is Glastonbury, then you will know who is the psychotic: Morrissey. He knew it would come out so he spins a yarn claiming censorship, but he went along with it because he had no choice but to bend and spread to Bono and Eavis having spent 33 years singing utter rubbish about meat being murder whilst he killed cows for cheese, but with a time-lapse of torture/slaughter whilst they were raped and had their male children stolen, used as sex slaves, then killed for veal. Morrissey is the very definition of psychotic in berating others for EXACTLY the same behaviour he indulged in for 33 years. That's assuming he's now Vegan but given his shameful attempt to wriggle out of this in his last interview by trying (and failing) to conflate Veganism and Vegetarianism, it appears he may well still be a Cheesetarian/Corpsetarian. If he is, he is even more psychotic than we have diagnosed to date. If you wish to contest this analysis, do so, but save us anymore of your cult insults. I see he is still finishing his shows with this Crank-Fraud Anthem, but does he actually tell the audience that he's now Vegan? Or is he trying to save his legacy by blurring the line between Veganism and Vegetarian along with the cranks at PETA? I assume they were also there, dishing out their celebrity worshipping nonsense take on animal welfarism.

best
~The Ghost Of BB
in Copenhagen

Last edited:
Watch Morrissey singing the Eavis-censored version of 'Meat Is Murder' at the ultimate animal slaughter-fest that is Glastonbury, then you will know who is the psychotic: Morrissey. He knew it would come out so he spins a yarn claiming censorship, but he went along with it because he had no choice but to bend and spread to Bono and Eavis having spent 33 years singing utter rubbish about meat being murder whilst he killed cows for cheese, but with a time-lapse of torture/slaughter whilst they were raped and had their male children stolen, used as sex slaves, then killed for veal. Morrissey is the very definition of psychotic in berating others for EXACTLY the same behaviour he indulged in for 33 years. That's assuming he's now Vegan but given his shameful attempt to wriggle out of this in his last interview by trying (and failing) to conflate Veganism and Vegetarianism, it appears he may well still be a Cheesetarian/Corpsetarian. If he is, he is even more psychotic than we have diagnosed to date. If you wish to contest this analysis, do so, but save us anymore of your cult insults. I see he is still finishing his shows with this Crank-Fraud Anthem, but does he actually tell the audience that he's now Vegan? Or is he trying to save his legacy by blurring the line between Veganism and Vegetarian along with the cranks at PETA? I assume they were also there, dishing out their celebrity worshipping nonsense take on animal welfarism.

best
~The Ghost Of BB
in Copenhagen

That reminds me. I need to watch PSYCHO II again.

Thanks evennow. I was talking about this "lack of frenzy" with Mr. Anaesthesine this morning, and we agreed: Morrissey is 56 years old, and the madness of earlier years, when he was younger, gloriously beautiful, and hungrier, lasted far longer than anyone (myself included) would have thought possible. That kind of madness really doesn't make as much sense these days.

I'm sure that Morrissey isn't all that trilled with being an "institution" (although Paul McCartney has been dealing with that for decades). I so admire Morrissey's reluctance to throw in the towel, give the audience his greatest hits, and move on. He still wants to blindside you and (on occasion) he still can. But, like it or not, the man is mellower, and so is his audience.

That's not to say that the frenzy won't still happen - I'm sure there are still some crazy nights ahead. I just don't see the lack of crazy as a minus, or a sign that Morrissey has "lost it." I see it as the next logical phase in his already improbable career. What he has to give now is still profoundly beautiful.

"And when you're dancing and laughing. And finally living. Hear my voice in your head. And think of me kindly." I have thought about this quite often, and this best describes my feelings today. In my youth, I felt like I was the guy in the corner..in the dark..and the torch he held burned bright and warm. Today I am grown and MUCH older so old that I can barely remember the angst of my youth. I still listen to and enjoy his music, but not in the same way. He will always have a place in my head and in my heart and I will ALWAYS think of him kindly for the wonderful lyrics he wrote that saved my life (and many others here I am sure).

What a great show!! Only my second time seeing Moz, the first time was two years ago in Atlantic City and we all know how that went...had high seats but close to the stage, view of the drummer and bassist were blocked the whole time. The sound in that building was incredible and Morrissey sure can pipe it out. Ran into a really nice girl at the end who had a large chunk of the white shirt and offered a piece to me..currently looking for a frame that could possibly contain this gift.

"And when you're dancing and laughing. And finally living. Hear my voice in your head. And think of me kindly." I have thought about this quite often, and this best describes my feelings today. In my youth, I felt like I was the guy in the corner..in the dark..and the torch he held burned bright and warm. Today I am grown and MUCH older so old that I can barely remember the angst of my youth. I still listen to and enjoy his music, but not in the same way. He will always have a place in my head and in my heart and I will ALWAYS think of him kindly for the wonderful lyrics he wrote that saved my life (and many others here I am sure).

Really? My angst is alive and well (although a bit less urgent than in former days). There are few enough singers of his age still railing against it all: I find it tremendously cathartic.

I have a friend in the PR business: she's worked with many of the greats (including Morrissey). She has 10001 reasons to never see him again, but she'll be there this Saturday because, despite everything, she just can't quit him.

Even to a jaded professional, Morrissey stands apart.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom