Philadelphia, PA - The Academy of Music (June 20, 2015) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Suedehead / Staircase At The University / Ganglord / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Speedway / Kiss Me A Lot / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Will Never Marry / Istanbul / Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed / Now My Heart Is Full / Everyday Is Like Sunday / One Of Our Own / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / The Bullfighter Dies / Meat Is Murder / What She Said // First Of The Gang To Die

setlist provided by Johnnymel9

• Morrissey @ The Academy of Music, review and photos (34 total) by Mina Lee - JUMP: The Philly Music Project. Link posted by an anonymous person.

philadelphia.jpg

Last edited:
Suedehead
Staircase at the University
Ganglord
World peace
Speedway
Kiss me a lot
Paris
Marry
Istanbul
Mama
Now my Heart is Full
Everyday is like Sunday
One of our own
Places
Neal Cassidy drops dead
Bores
Bullfighter
Meat is murder
What she said

Gang

Suedehead
Staircase at the University
Ganglord
World peace
Speedway
Kiss me a lot
Paris
Marry
Istanbul
Mama
Now my Heart is Full
Everyday is like Sunday
One of our own
Places
Neal Cassidy drops dead
Bores
Bullfighter
Meat is murder
What she said

Gang

Spot on. Places was a nice surprise.

Show was awesome. Band was great. My hands smell like Morrissey. My cheeks hurt from how great it was and how amazing the people I met were/are.
I felt the same way when I left the DC show. It was like discovering him all over for the first time again. So happy for you.

Morrissey sang forever. The band were minister angels, if somewhat bruisers. Every song was the best song in the world and the audience loved largely and I walk home in the glad rain. Thank you.

Sounds like it was a great show!!

This tour seems to be full of energy.

Twas a great show. Morrissey said this crowd made up for Delaware last night. Some stage invaders at the encore. I was one of them. These new guys have neither the quick eyes nor the gentle hands of Arturo.

Twas a great show. Morrissey said this crowd made up for Delaware last night. Some stage invaders at the encore. I was one of them. These new guys have neither the quick eyes nor the gentle hands of Arturo.

Where you the guy in the blue shirt? He was awesome. I felt bad for the girl. I think she got kicked near the face. It happened so fast I couldn't tell. Waiting for a video to come up on Youtube.

Yup, that guy. Yeah, they were rougher on her than me. When I saw what they did to her, I almost changed my mind. Almost.

Morrissey was in great form tonight. probably the best I have ever seen him live

Great show. Moz's voice sounded more powerful than ever. The band sounded tight - the old switcheroo towards the end of Speedway was totally unexpected but I assume Morrissey was behind the keyboards (I couldn't see them from our seats). There were a flurry of stage invasions toward the end...seemed like one woman got up there twice. Glad I skipped Firefly and elated that this show got squeezed into the tour. He alluded to Firefly by saying something along the lines of "Save us ...from Delaware." before they charged into Gangland.

Yup, that guy. Yeah, they were rougher on her than me. When I saw what they did to her, I almost changed my mind. Almost.

:thumb:

You were awesome. I actually got a good chuckle how nonchalantly you strolled up there while the security was dealing with the other guy. When they got to you though you put your arms up so fast, that I still thought the security guard was going to throw you off the stage. lol

Good stuff man. Congrats!

Surprisingly, never. No, sometimes they send you out the back door and you can come back around the theater and re-enter if its late in the show. One time in Durham they stuck me behind a speaker on the stage where I watched the encore. Now, they just throw your butt back into the crowd.

Wow. Such a lovely, congenial, flat-out-fun gig.

Beautiful theatre, packed to the rafters. Morrissey was chatty, warm, and obviously very happy to be in Philadelphia; the crowd was vocal and enthusiastic, and he drank it all in ("right back at you" he said at one point). He thanked us for erasing the memory of Delaware.

It's been said many times, but it's so true: the man has never sounded better. His voice this evening was strong, sure and unwavering. On past tours there have been moments when he's sounded reedy, or his voice has cracked: not tonight. I just can't get over what a powerful singer he continues to be. There were moments when he held and teased a note that just took my breath away.

Highlights for me were: "Now My Heart is Full," "Ganglord" (such powerful footage), "Will Never Marry" and (oddly) "Mamma Lay Softly..." which isn't really one of my favorites, but the lyrics are so sad, and the vocals are so swooping - it's such a delightful, penny dreadful confection of a song, and he sang it with great emotion.

Morrissey was fully "present" for every song: at no point did he phone it in or lose the thread. His energy didn't waver. That being said, the audience wasn't as active as it could have been. I was dancing and having a wonderful time, but where I was (first few rows), it seemed that, while people were clearly enjoying themselves, there wasn't a blood frenzy as in days of yore. Perhaps the time for that kind of audience reaction is well and truly over.

A few caveats: the band is tight, powerful and on point, but they lack a certain "oomph." They're bringing it in at 9.5 (which is great), but Morrissey deserves 11. That moment at the end of "Speedway" where the band switches it up was a bit irritating: some of the most powerful lines in one of Morrissey's most powerful songs just don't have the resonance when Gustavo sings them (Mr. Anaesthesine thought it was delightful though, so to each their own). As always, the set list was just fine, but Morrissey is sitting on one of the greatest back catalogs of all time, and there are songs that deserve to be sung, and seldom are.

I was really struck this evening with how fully "Morrissey" Morrissey still is. I haven't seen him in a long time, but he still has a way of making the stage seem like a living room: great intimacy - it still feels like catching up with an old friend. His comic timing is still so sharp: we're lucky to have such a singular figure still in our midst.

Sounded great but security like 3 rows from the stage were super tight compared to other times I've seen him in Pennsylvania. My favorite was in Reading, Pa when security wouldn't let anyone near the bottom of the stage let alone on it until 3 songs in he started making fun of the large gap and how he just loved all the distance. Needless to say everyone rushed through security, stood right up front and he got a fair share of huggin action. I also was into how he cracked out a bunch of his more political songs too. You always get a couple goofy 40 year old bros getting bothered by Meat is Murder and now a couple crab apple responses to the bullfighter dies.

Surprisingly, never. No, sometimes they send you out the back door and you can come back around the theater and re-enter if its late in the show. One time in Durham they stuck me behind a speaker on the stage where I watched the encore. Now, they just throw your butt back into the crowd.

Thanks for answering without any snark. Rare on this site...I was just curious. I was hoping they weren't arrested....

This was the 12th time that I have seen Mr. Moz over the years and it always feels like the first time.....what a wonderful show it was and yes, his voice was quite sharp this eve..... The band was stupendous as well.... Viva Moz forever! :)

10492557_10153508477668313_6645648931435571389_n.jpg

10897961_10153508477748313_669397584470296992_n.jpg

Although Sir Paul surely played a great set (actually more Beatles than anything else), could you imagine such bombast taking place at a Moz concert? It's a bit cheesy isn't it?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom