Photo of young Morrissey at Sex Pistols concert?

I have no idea of the validity of this, but someone has posted this photo to Facebook, claiming that the guy in the black sweater with glasses on the left is Morrissey:

39660_sex_pistols_manchester.jpg

Photo posted by JD Beauvallet / Facebook (original post?) Link posted by Lande.

Le jeune homme en pull noir avec des lunettes, sur la gauche, c'est Morrissey. A un concert des Sex Pistols. En 1976.

Facebook translation to English:
The young man in a black sweater with glasses, on the left, it's Morrissey. Has a concert pistols. In 1976.

Link to tweet posted by I_Am_A_Disco_Dancer:

@ManchesterDose:
The Sex Pistols famous Manchester gig at The Lesser Free Trade Hall (Morrissey has confirmed that's him on the left: black jumper & glasses)

UPDATE Feb. 14:

Famous when dead posted the link from June 26, 2016 with the photo mentioned:

Oh Shit – Punk Wars: Morrissey, McDonalds and The Buzzcocks. - Bombed Out Punk

Last edited by a moderator:
The most interesting part? The Sex Pistols played a SEATED show (not that anyone is using the chairs.)

The hair looks too thick to be Moz but I guess it could be him. Strange how nobody at the concert reacted to giant yellow arrow hovering over them. Thats the real news here.

The jawline doesn't match

But seriously, Morrissey at that time had his fringe (and later his quiff) left-side swept. However, there is an option that the photo might have been flipped (just like the one posted earlier in this thread).

2a9xkyo.jpg
fp6u82.jpg

^ Sorry, I didn't think about the guitars - the photo isn't filipped. It's most likely not Stephen.

It isn't him. Wasn't he at the other night? One of the Sex Pistols nights was not very well attended

It isn't him. Wasn't he at the other night? One of the Sex Pistols nights was not very well attended

No he was at this night which was attended by 40 ish people. The 2nd gig was the one where Buzzcocks supported and that was packed

No he was at this night which was attended by 40 ish people. The 2nd gig was the one where Buzzcocks supported and that was packed
Didn't he meet Linder at the one where the Buzzcocks supported? Or did he go to both?

But seriously, Morrissey at that time had his fringe (and later his quiff) left-side swept.

We have a date for the Sex Pistols gig, but do we have a confirmed date for when those passport photos were taken? Even if it was the same year, when you are 17 your hair (and your height for that matter), can change a hell of a lot from one month to the next.

I've decided I was there as well. That's me there - no, not there, there you idiot - yeah, that's me...

https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/morrissey-in-linders-monograph.64515/

"I first saw Linder as she introduced Buzzcocks onstage at the Lesser Free Trade Hall in Manchester during the summer of 1976. A few months later, I would spot Linder sitting on a table during the soundcheck for the Sex Pistols third Manchester gig."
Didn't he meet Linder at the one where the Buzzcocks supported? Or did he go to both?

Not sure, there are loads of references to him being at the first gig (in various books) but have never read/heard of him being at the 2nd one. Buzzcocks did take to the stage at the first gig but announced they weren't playing as they weren't ready, perhaps Linder introduced them at that gig?

Edit, Johnny Rogan said he was at the 2nd gig in his book. But that picture looks like the sparsely attended first gig

Last edited:
Not sure, there are loads of references to him being at the first gig (in various books) but have never read/heard of him being at the 2nd one. Buzzcocks did take to the stage at the first gig but announced they weren't playing as they weren't ready, perhaps Linder introduced them at that gig?

Edit, Johnny Rogan said he was at the 2nd gig in his book. But that picture looks like the sparsely attended first gig

He was at the Sex Pistols first three shows in Manchester:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/8579557/Morrissey-on...-his-musical-heroes.html

"But so many of the British punk bands I really enjoyed. I was always very impressed by the Sex Pistols. I saw their very first three gigs in Manchester, which was 1976, and I thought they were fantastic. I always loved them."

I've decided I was there as well. That's me there - no, not there, there you idiot - yeah, that's me...

Me too. I was there. I saw Moz but didn't know it was him. And he didn't know it was me.
The person on the photo is not Moz.
By the way, if we would only count the people who claimed to be there, Wembley stadium would not have been big enough.

Me too. I was there. I saw Moz but didn't know it was him. And he didn't know it was me.
The person on the photo is not Moz.
By the way, if we would only count the people who claimed to be there, Wembley stadium would not have been big enough.

The famous Mandela effect aka rewriting history.

We have a date for the Sex Pistols gig, but do we have a confirmed date for when those passport photos were taken? Even if it was the same year, when you are 17 your hair (and your height for that matter), can change a hell of a lot from one month to the next.

Yes, I don't know the height of Morrissey, but height can increase until 23 y.o.

The famous Mandela effect aka rewriting history.

It's off topic and sad, but your remark reminded me of something a lawyer said during the Nuremberg process.
"Jeder hat die wenigen Geretteten gerettet, keiner hat die vielen Toten umgebracht".
Everybody has saved the few that were saved, nobody has killed the many that were killed.
(Citation from Raul Hilberg, The Destruction of the European Jews, Chicago 1961, page 695.)
So it was, so it is now and so it will be in the future.
Before anybody thinks I am a misanthropic bastard stating this with some secret pleasure, I don't. It makes me feel sad but I just can't ignore it.

Too short. Too broad of shoulder. The man in that photo is 19 year old Electrician apprentice Paul Somer from Bolton. He traveled to the gig with my friend Steve Jones (oh the irony) who is seen to the right of the photograph in the dark tank top. Kenny Guerrin from Blackrod is the fella' in the white jacket next to Steve. Both were interviewed for the book "I Swear I was There" by David Nolan.

Crykey, reckon tomorrow morning me going out on the beach jogging during the power walk session from Malibu to Zuma and I am going to ask Uncle Steve, John, and fat Steve if Uncle Steve was really at this show so all you lots people 150,000 miles away in Hobbitshire, "the UK" can be more productive and focus on just making more textiles instead of worrying if Uncle Steve was at this show.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom