Photo of young Morrissey at Sex Pistols concert?

I have no idea of the validity of this, but someone has posted this photo to Facebook, claiming that the guy in the black sweater with glasses on the left is Morrissey:

39660_sex_pistols_manchester.jpg

Photo posted by JD Beauvallet / Facebook (original post?) Link posted by Lande.

Le jeune homme en pull noir avec des lunettes, sur la gauche, c'est Morrissey. A un concert des Sex Pistols. En 1976.

Facebook translation to English:
The young man in a black sweater with glasses, on the left, it's Morrissey. Has a concert pistols. In 1976.

Link to tweet posted by I_Am_A_Disco_Dancer:

@ManchesterDose:
The Sex Pistols famous Manchester gig at The Lesser Free Trade Hall (Morrissey has confirmed that's him on the left: black jumper & glasses)

UPDATE Feb. 14:

Famous when dead posted the link from June 26, 2016 with the photo mentioned:

Oh Shit – Punk Wars: Morrissey, McDonalds and The Buzzcocks. - Bombed Out Punk

Last edited by a moderator:
Crykey, reckon tomorrow morning me going out on the beach jogging during the power walk session from Malibu to Zuma and I am going to ask Uncle Steve, John, and fat Steve if Uncle Steve was really at this show so all you lots people 150,000 miles away in Hobbitshire, "the UK" can be more productive and focus on just making more textiles instead of worrying if Uncle Steve was at this show.

How do you reckon you would get an honest answer? Not that I care.
Admit it, you are just jealous you weren't there amongst that elite of 40 people. This was an is an amazing moment in music history and I know that those 40 people are celebrating that date every year, at a secret place, at Camden Town, with Moz and Johnny Lydon. Rotten teeth or no rotten teeth. How come your intern did not inform you? Pay her more!

Last edited:
39657_moz_punk.jpg

Morrissey's face looks Photoshopped onto another body or face here. Jawline doesn't look natural, is far to square and wide. Also, the hair behind the right ear is visible, indicating a head turn which would not match the head-on angle of the face (left ear should not be visible).

Morrissey is a lot taller than this guy.

Morrissey's face looks Photoshopped onto another body or face here. Jawline doesn't look natural, is far to square and wide. Also, the hair behind the right ear is visible, indicating a head turn which would not match the head-on angle of the face (left ear should not be visible).
It appears the image is flipped.
The picture was taken 12.9.80.
One of the pictured people (Richard Kedzior) confirms it's Moz in an article on this site in 2009:
https://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=09/01/29/1725248
As the picture stands in this thread the people are :
Moz, Richard, Martha Davis (The Motels), Tim McGovern (The Motels).
Regards,
FWD.
(The full Mudkiss article linked to in the above link is very interesting and mentions The Sex Pistols and the early punk scene - worth a read: http://www.mudkiss.com/richardk.htm)

Last edited:
39657_moz_punk.jpg

f*** sake it's morrissey. Not everything is a hoax

f*** sake it's morrissey. Not everything is a hoax

Yes, not everything is a hoax. That face may be Morrissey's, but there is no arguing the fact his face does appear to be Photoshopped into the photo. I work in the photography/digital realm and the signs of a bad paste up job are fairly apparent.

If you care to, instead of lazily dismissing it outright, comment specifically on the odd jawline appearance and the fact that the back of the head indicates a turn to the left, but the face is facing full on frontwards.

And no, flipping the photo horizontally would not account for these distortions.

Yes, not everything is a hoax. That face may be Morrissey's, but there is no arguing the fact his face does appear to be Photoshopped into the photo. I work in the photography/digital realm and the signs of a bad paste up job are fairly apparent.

If you care to, instead of lazily dismissing it outright, comment specifically on the odd jawline appearance and the fact that the back of the head indicates a turn to the left, but the face is facing full on frontwards.

And no, flipping the photo horizontally would not account for these distortions.
The image being flipped was an observation - not an explanation for why it shouldn't look 'shopped' to some.
Richard is a reputable member of the early punk/music community and if he says he was stood there (as per my article link) with Morrissey when it was taken - that works for me (especially as they were friends).
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
The image being flipped was an observation - not an explanation for why it shouldn't look 'shopped' to some.
Richard is a reputable member of the early punk/music community and if he says he was stood there (as per my article link) with Morrissey when it was taken - that works for me (especially as they were friends).
Regards,
FWD.

It doesnt look shopped at all, not sure what all the debate is about. These crazy american fans love a good conspiracy theory.

Morrissey is (or at least, was) British. We have funny irregular shaped heads, and we don't care. Deal with it, America.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom