Pink Floyd

Poco Innocente

A ring a ding ding
What do you think to the assertion that Pink Floyd is the polar opposite to The Smiths, in music terms? Floyd has such a grandiose sound. I’m not suggesting The Smiths don’t, but it’s a grandiose pop sound as opposed to the large rolling sounds of Floyd.

I haven’t really listened to Floyd much to be honest and I’m not debating if they are good or bad. The reason I’m interested is because my friend is a massive Floyd fan and I am a massive Smiths fan.

What be your thoughts?

ps I am not interested in if you like or dislike Floyd ;)

no i would;nt say the total opposite

Different meanings, not totally different sounds

Total opposite would be something like motley crew

no i would;nt say the total opposite

Different meanings, not totally different sounds

Total opposite would be something like motley crew

This is where it gets tricky. I was going to mention polar opposite in terms of ‘respectable’ bands. I could have namedropped Motley Crew as you said or something similar, but to be honest I wouldn’t class them as a respectable/worthwhile band. Anyway that is a pointless comment by me, because everyone’s view of ‘respectable’ music is different I suppose and the fact that I don’t really know Floyd’s music rather questions my right to describe it as respectable.

I don’t really understand what I was trying to say above, so I’m pretty sure no one else will.

off-topic

love

Grim

How is this off topic? It is Smiths/Morrissey related :confused:

If we were just discussing Floyd I could understand

You can find some similarities on the lyrical level, I suppose. They're both rather melancholy, and politically (at least during the Floyd's Waters-dominated era, i.e. 1973-1983) they tend to identify with the working class and the oppressed (and The Final Cut is as fiercely anti-Thatcherite as anything Morrissey ever written).

Musically they're different, yes... the Smiths have shorter songs, much simpler arrangements and instrumentations, much more in-your-face, almost no solos, more conventional song structures. Some Moz solo stuff sounds a little Floydish, though... I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday, for example, or Life Is A Pigsty.

And, well, Pink Floyd were my favorite band some, uh, 13 years ago, and the Smiths/Moz are today, so... I guess there's something in common.

You can find some similarities on the lyrical level, I suppose. They're both rather melancholy, and politically (at least during the Floyd's Waters-dominated era, i.e. 1973-1983) they tend to identify with the working class and the oppressed (and The Final Cut is as fiercely anti-Thatcherite as anything Morrissey ever written).

Musically they're different, yes... the Smiths have shorter songs, much simpler arrangements and instrumentations, much more in-your-face, almost no solos, more conventional song structures. Some Moz solo stuff sounds a little Floydish, though... I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday, for example, or Life Is A Pigsty.

And, well, Pink Floyd were my favorite band some, uh, 13 years ago, and the Smiths/Moz are today, so... I guess there's something in common.

I see! thank you :)

I find this interesting as I am a massive smiths fan and my husband is a massive floyd fan. I can dig floyd as he can the smiths. Our children love both and are musically inclinded. Just imagine the sort of music they could come up with?!

The main difference for me who knows nothing about Pink Floyd is that with them everything is BIG, LOUD, OVERBLOWN, with special effects and loads of money chucked at it. Whereas the Smiths and Morrissey are very much DIY and back to basics. Stick a nice backdrop up and then rely on the music and the crowd.

I remember when Pink Floyd toured and no one talked about the music, all they could talk about is the massive flying pig.

WhyteGrrrl,

I seem to remember Alain being into Pink Floyd-- or at least a fan of prog rock. Definitely shows up on Southpaw (especially the opening and closing tracks).

I find this interesting as I am a massive smiths fan and my husband is a massive floyd fan. I can dig floyd as he can the smiths. Our children love both and are musically inclinded. Just imagine the sort of music they could come up with?!

always found the "floyd" very dull.

WhyteGrrrl,

I seem to remember Alain being into Pink Floyd-- or at least a fan of prog rock. Definitely shows up on Southpaw (especially the opening and closing tracks).

Sorry, "Teachers are Afraid of the Pupils" is composed by Boz.:p

southpaw... like prog rock how insulting:p

It would seem even with the use of "p.s." my attempts to not turn this into a 'like' or 'dislike' thread have been thwarted

The main difference for me who knows nothing about Pink Floyd is that with them everything is BIG, LOUD, OVERBLOWN, with special effects and loads of money chucked at it. Whereas the Smiths and Morrissey are very much DIY and back to basics. Stick a nice backdrop up and then rely on the music and the crowd.

I remember when Pink Floyd toured and no one talked about the music, all they could talk about is the massive flying pig.

Agree. Pink Floyd's bloated psychedelia and shallow concept rock covered a multitude of sins. Every time I listen to them I'm impressed for a minute or two, but then, once I get past that imposing sonic wall, I realize there's just nothing behind it. They seem like everything post/post-punk was against. Their popularity always shocks me, although with so many fans out there I guess I'm not hearing whatever it is that makes them special.

Back
Top Bottom