Please disable anonymous posting

I believe he may be referring to Benny as he does have a tendency to stuff the boards with his posts, however, I find them to be right on-topic, entertaining and direct. My main issue with anonymous posting is an ability to acquire a knowledge of the person through a history of posts made. It is more fun to get to know (as best one can) the attitudes and beliefs of a named poster. I see Jamie or CG or Aztec Camera or Brummie or Reality Bites and I already have an idea of what to expect. They are all a cast of characters that I find very interesting. Plus, what is to prevent an anonymous poster from continually assigning themselves a new identity thereby circumventing the ability to block their posts? Sometimes given the scale of the project at hand you have to settle for a 90% success rate. Nothing is perfect for everyone in every way.

You have a point about knowing whose posts you are reading, forming opinions of them and I understand how this could sometimes add to the enjoyment of the site. As you say, nothing s perfect for everyone in every way. Some people go to great lengths to inflict their personalities on this site and I almost wonder what it might be like if there were no registered users at all. In the more extreme cases it might actually be an improvement. When the brand or identity is more important than the information conveyed in the post, as is the case with a few of the established characters, it's just an annoyance to me. There was a poster here who was only active for a short time, but in that time he posted very frequently, and had a tendency to have started the majority of the posts on the first page of Off Topic. Some of us knew him from another site where he had done the same thing. Personally I don't think he was a bad guy. I liked him and had had interesting discussions with him. But he did seem to have a strange need to start threads every day and most of them were not really successful. He was an extreme example of what I mean when I say that sometimes it would be better if people did not feel any kind of accomplishment seeing their 'name' on the pages of this site.

Just offering this as something to consider, not an attack on anyone, although it's not hard to imagine three to five registered users this applies to immediately, and once I think about it I could make a list. :D

You have a point about knowing whose posts you are reading, forming opinions of them and I understand how this could sometimes add to the enjoyment of the site. As you say, nothing s perfect for everyone in every way. Some people go to great lengths to inflict their personalities on this site and I almost wonder what it might be like if there were no registered users at all. In the more extreme cases it might actually be an improvement. When the brand or identity is more important than the information conveyed in the post, as is the case with a few of the established characters, it's just an annoyance to me. There was a poster here who was only active for a short time, but in that time he posted very frequently, and had a tendency to have started the majority of the posts on the first page of Off Topic. Some of us knew him from another site where he had done the same thing. Personally I don't think he was a bad guy. I liked him and had had interesting discussions with him. But he did seem to have a strange need to start threads every day and most of them were not really successful. He was an extreme example of what I mean when I say that sometimes it would be better if people did not feel any kind of accomplishment seeing their 'name' on the pages of this site.

Just offering this as something to consider, not an attack on anyone, although it's not hard to imagine three to five registered users this applies to immediately, and once I think about it I could make a list. :D

excellent points and at the end of the day its probably just up to what people want to prioritize at the end of the day, info or a community. a community takes a lot of time and attention and care

Nice post and good points. I can see that the Morrissey information contained on this site most times gets clouded and diluted by any number of registered and non-registered posters. I think for me it comes down to your idea of "inflicting their personalities" as being a negative. For you and most assuredly many others, posters like Brummie, and Benny and Aztec Camera are an annoyance to say the least, but I find their posts to be quite humorous most of the time.

If AC writes something racist, or Benny plucks the milk/cheese chord a few too many times, I just move on. No one is perfect, but they are a colorful bunch and maybe that is just it. Not everyone has the same taste...in color, food, music, writing, etc. But I think we can agree that if a post is on-topic, then everyone has the write to post whatever it is they want to say as long it is not directly threatening a person's safety. It just turns out that many posts having to do with Morrissey have some connection to animal rights, vegetarianism/veganism, etc. All open season for the aforementioned posters.

Even given all this, it is the lack of civility that gets to me the most. God forbid you think WPINOYB is crap because you are in for a severe lashing from others who think it is his best work to date. Instead of a rational sharing of thoughts and ideas things quickly escalate into being called a tin-eared, cow f**cking, c*nt, or something along the same lines. Give me a hundred Benny's over these kind of posters any day.

Nice post and good points. I can see that the Morrissey information contained on this site most times gets clouded and diluted by any number of registered and non-registered posters. I think for me it comes down to your idea of "inflicting their personalities" as being a negative. For you and most assuredly many others, posters like Brummie, and Benny and Aztec Camera are an annoyance to say the least, but I find their posts to be quite humorous most of the time.

If AC writes something racist, or Benny plucks the milk/cheese chord a few too many times, I just move on. No one is perfect, but they are a colorful bunch and maybe that is just it. Not everyone has the same taste...in color, food, music, writing, etc. But I think we can agree that if a post is on-topic, then everyone has the write to post whatever it is they want to say as long it is not directly threatening a person's safety. It just turns out that many posts having to do with Morrissey have some connection to animal rights, vegetarianism/veganism, etc. All open season for the aforementioned posters.

Even given all this, it is the lack of civility that gets to me the most. God forbid you think WPINOYB is crap because you are in for a severe lashing from others who think it is his best work to date. Instead of a rational sharing of thoughts and ideas things quickly escalate into being called a tin-eared, cow f**cking, c*nt, or something along the same lines. Give me a hundred Benny's over these kind of posters any day.
Agreed about the incivility and even about Benny but brummie and Aztec are both very uncivil with brummie threatening people right and left. Racism is pretty uncivil to say the least

I am the anonymous poster that made the case against site personalities. I think Brummie's posts were misunderstood because he was making a lot of obscure references in fairly oblique ways, but I thought he was brilliant. He did turn ugly but people were making comments about his daughter and he got a lot of personal attacks.He seemed to be under some stress, but overall I'd say his contribution to the site was a plus.
Benny the Butcher is somewhat limited in range but I sometimes laugh at his posts. I wasn't thinking of them. I see racism from some posters who use it for shock value and I'm surprised they are allowed to continue with it. I don't really want to name them or the other people I was thinking of and give them any attention or go off topic and turn this into another thread of endless personal insults.
Thanks for considering my defense of anonymous posting. I'm glad it was understood, and I agree with both posters above that it's easy enough to overlook what you don't like, to some degree, and also that some things should not be overlooked and cheapen the site's reputation and the experience of the user.

Back
Top Bottom