Please don't tear Morrissey into shreds

E

EarlGraphite

What ever happened to making music just for the love of it? I thought Morrissey made his music because that's what he loved to do. Very few people are gifted with the same lyrical wit and musical genius as Morrissey. It's a shame to see such talent lay wasting.

What makes it even more tragic is that it's ALL about money now. It's no longer about making music just for the love of doing so. Oh he says he has an album's worth of new material written, but where is it? Why doesn't he just release it? It's about making music right?

Err, wrong. Morrissey doesn't release these new songs because he's waiting for a chunky contract..$,$$$,$$$.$$ After all, he's got the mortgage for the house with Greta Garbo's ghost to think about now. Maintaining a certain lifestyle costs, and a small independent label just won't cut it. It's sad that such an artist can lose touch with his roots and the true meaning behind his music to Iced Chai's and Gucci shoes. But then I could be wrong, all I have are assumptions to go on as the man himself won't tell us anything.

Britney Spears and NSYNC may sell a hell of alot of albums, but how many people that bought those can say that that music 'touched them deeply' or 'changed their life'? I mean, how life altering could "Hit Me Baby One More Time" or "Mmmmm, POP!" be anyways?

Morrissey has forgotten the very essence of his own self. Morrissey no longer sees his adoring fans for their love, he now sees them all as dollar $ign$. I'm not saying this to be hostile or anything, I'm just looking at the way things are, but then again maybe I'm wrong.

shreds.jpg

IT seems like you're just pissed he hasn't put anything out new. The boy bands and broccoli spears you mentioned throw out a horrendous new album every 9 months it seems. Just because Morrissey isn't being so quick to throw out a not so up to par album, does not mean because he's waiting for the highest amount of money to be offered to him. IT could just be he has these songs and just wants to wait for the right time to release them.. He wants to make sure he doesn't just release it and hear these same comments but instead with an added " Oh he's all about the money.. he put out all these scattery, dull songs just to try and make more extra cash"

I dunno, It just seems to me people are being a little harsh saying he's all about money and doesn't give a damn about his fans. Yes you have to respect your fans but Isn't the whole point of being a "rock star" so to say, to make tons of money? I know We all say moz should be humble etc etc.. but unlike the crappy CREED bands that make money for nothing, he actually has a catalog of quality music And deserves to live his comfortable lifestlye!Gucci shoes and all ;-p He looks quite handsome in that expensive garb if you ask me.

Secondly what has he done to say he doesn't give a damn about his fans? During his last tour he sure tried to pull me up on stage.. As he did 100's of others i'm sure. If he didnt give a damn he'd simply Let us fall down ;-p Plus the signings he did just to prove to his adoring fans he was indeed, Flat pomp and all.
No but in all seriousness I don't think because he's being stingy with his new songs it means he's lost it or anything else for that matter.or maybe it's true that no label he's found is suitable for his experienced career? Possibly, He's simply exploring other parts of life! Even acting in a movie! which sounds much more interesting then another Maladjusted (sorry moz)

I couldn't care less what Morrisey does.

Now, if the Smiths want to have a little reunion, well then.....

> IT seems like you're just pissed he hasn't put anything out new.

Well, I wouldn't go as far as saying pissed, although I'm sure my words could be construed that way. I've always had a problem controlling my emotions ;-)

>The boy
> bands and broccoli spears you mentioned throw out a horrendous new album
> every 9 months it seems. Just because Morrissey isn't being so quick to
> throw out a not so up to par album, does not mean because he's waiting for
> the highest amount of money to be offered to him.

I know. But you hear all this talk about him turning down deals because they weren't offering enough $$, read all the rumours, and hear nothing from him to confirm/deny any of it. It just leaves me guessing and I hate not knowing. I could come up with hundreds of possible reasons why Morrissey does what he does. Only he knows what he's actually up to, I'm no mind-reader. Without hearing from him in some form, all I have to go on our assumptions.

>IT could just be he has
> these songs and just wants to wait for the right time to release them.. He
> wants to make sure he doesn't just release it and hear these same comments
> but instead with an added " Oh he's all about the money.. he put out
> all these scattery, dull songs just to try and make more extra cash"

Good point. He doesn't want it to disappoint anyone, and certainly someone somewhere would say that he had.

> I dunno, It just seems to me people are being a little harsh saying he's
> all about money and doesn't give a damn about his fans. Yes you have to
> respect your fans but Isn't the whole point of being a "rock
> star" so to say, to make tons of money? I know We all say moz should
> be humble etc etc.. but unlike the crappy CREED bands that make money for
> nothing, he actually has a catalog of quality music And deserves to live
> his comfortable lifestlye!Gucci shoes and all ;-p He looks quite handsome
> in that expensive garb if you ask me.

Indeed he does. I'm not knocking him for wearing Gucci, on the contrary. I'm known to indulge in such things myself. We all deserve it. Morrissey deserves every penny he's made, he's earned it. But at the same time, he shouldn't forget how he got there.

> Secondly what has he done to say he doesn't give a damn about his fans?
> During his last tour he sure tried to pull me up on stage.. As he did
> 100's of others i'm sure. If he didnt give a damn he'd simply Let us fall
> down ;-p Plus the signings he did just to prove to his adoring fans he was
> indeed, Flat pomp and all.

I did alot of internet browsing during this holiday season. I've seen holiday greetings from many artists to their fans on various websites. 10 seconds to say hello, happy holidays, bla bla bla I'm still alive shouldn't be too much to ask for, should it? I know I'll get pelted for thinking "he owes us", but seriously. I can't go to work and snub off all our customers...business would cease to exist. Same rules apply here. Music IS a business afterall. Granted, the dvd signing was a major highlight along with the intimacy of the Oye Esteban tour, but in the long run most of his fans these days feel forgotten. Just read the comments on this board. It's like he surfaces out of the darkness, whips up a frenzy then vanishes into thin air. Such a high, such a low.

> No but in all seriousness I don't think because he's being stingy with his
> new songs it means he's lost it or anything else for that matter.or maybe
> it's true that no label he's found is suitable for his experienced career?
> Possibly, He's simply exploring other parts of life! Even acting in a
> movie! which sounds much more interesting then another Maladjusted (sorry
> moz)

Guess we'll have to do what we always do....wait and see.

Fair enough, but I fear we could be waiting for some time.

In real terms Morrissey has produced (mostly) very good material since leaving the Smiths- certainly better than Marr et al. The actual amount he has released has also been quite high compared to many so called 'Stars' who have chosen to sit on their arses and live off the considerable royalties that roll their way.

The chances of him releasing a Web-statement or the like to thank his fans are also next to none. He has always been a distant, aloof character (see the Middlemiss book) and reading some of the nonsense posted on this discussion board is hardly likely to make him want to join us for a live-chat room session.

> Err, wrong. Morrissey doesn't release these new songs because he's waiting
> for a chunky contract..$,$$$,$$$.$$ After all, he's got the mortgage for
> the house with Greta Garbo's ghost to think about now. Maintaining a
> certain lifestyle costs,

well, what makes you more money? lying around in your house waiting for someone to call? or taking the job that doesn't pay you what you wanted?

> well, what makes you more money? lying around in your house waiting for
> someone to call? or taking the job that doesn't pay you what you wanted?

Very good point, Suzanne. Certainly his reserves are going to dry up sooner or later. But then maybe he's taken up 'day trading' to make some money. It's easy enough to double/triple/etc your money in stocks if you know how/where to invest.

What do you expect? He's the male Kate Bush.

Like geniuses such as Stanley Kubrick and Kate Bush, Morrissey likes to take his time developing his material, and considering the critical and commercial lambasting his last two albums received, we'd all be very slow to release a new album out there if we were in his gorgeous brown Gucci shoes.

I don't think Our Steven is waiting for the big bucks contract. He's waiting to hook up with an agent/label/record company/ that will respect his talent and artistic integrity. Didn't HE tell Madonna's Maverick company to go forth and multiply the earth after they asked him for a demo tape? Right too! If we want to talk about corporate greed and cynical musical production techniques to guarantee extensive sales, we need look no further than the machinations of Ms. Ciccone aka The Material Mudda. As someone once said to me, for every new album she puts out, she has a new hairstyle, a new producer and a new outfit. There's always some marketing gimmick with her.

Geniuses behave and act differently to everyone else. Kate Bush hasn't released an album since 1993 and she hasn't even performed live on stage since 1979 - yet she was honoured last month by Q magazine, no less for her contribution to popular music over the past 23 years. Although mog lover Mozzy lives in Greta Garbo's old gaff and likes to be alone, he's not as isolationist as Kate and probably gets out there in the fresh air more than she does. Considering she takes her son to the playground everyday thats a lot of fresh air for Steven.

I think some of the folks in here are too impatient, and in fact betray their own consumerist greedy souls by constantly demanding new product from the unfeted one.

Let him take his time, he's just seeing how the land lies for the time being. And lest ye forget, he's currently making a film in England, apparently a romantic comedy with one of the gals out of Beverly Hills 9##### (whatever, I never watched that programme!). I thinks its Shannen Doherty!

Moz wants to be the new Dirk Bogarde, a romantic lead with even more adoring fans than he has already. An album! He's got just enough time for lights, camera, action at the moment.

Re: What do you expect? He's the male Kate Bush.

> Moz wants to be the new Dirk Bogarde, a romantic lead with even more
> adoring fans than he has already. An album! He's got just enough time for
> lights, camera, action at the moment.

eh?

even if he gets more than 10 minutes of airtime in the movie, i don't think the next step is him joining the cast of Ally McBeal.

> eh?

> even if he gets more than 10 minutes of airtime in the movie, i don't
> think the next step is him joining the cast of Ally McBeal.

But he'll always have a place in one of those hideous british sitcons. Can you believe that? The british tv is as bad as mexican's.

You've said a mouthful. You're TRULY one of the BRAVE ONES, EARL.

he
> shouldn't forget how he got there.

> I did alot of internet browsing during this holiday season. I've seen
> holiday greetings from many artists to their fans on various websites. 10
> seconds to say hello, happy holidays, bla bla bla I'm still alive
> shouldn't be too much to ask for, should it? I know I'll get pelted for
> thinking "he owes us", but seriously. I can't go to work and
> snub off all our customers...business would cease to exist. Same rules
> apply here. Music IS a business afterall. Granted, the dvd signing was a
> major highlight along with the intimacy of the Oye Esteban tour, but in
> the long run most of his fans these days feel forgotten. Just read the
> comments on this board. It's like he surfaces out of the darkness, whips
> up a frenzy then vanishes into thin air. Such a high, such a low.

> Guess we'll have to do what we always do....wait and see.

> eh?

> even if he gets more than 10 minutes of airtime in the movie, i don't
> think the next step is him joining the cast of Ally McBeal.

Well, I really thought he would made a guest apearance in Friends, it seems
it was his fav. , but I read Friends is over too.

Maybe Eastenders? [well he's Brittish after all, so he doesn't have to practise
that London'er accent]

err...he's from Manchester, not London - quite a difference....

...like asking an American if he's Canadian, really....

> Well, I really thought he would made a guest apearance in Friends, it
> seems
> it was his fav. , but I read Friends is over too.

> Maybe Eastenders? [well he's Brittish after all, so he doesn't have to
> practise
> that London'er accent]

Back
Top Bottom