Plod knock on Mozzers door vis a vis MotG

Did the 'spooks' or whoever it was act like minions for a police state?

• Duh

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • I like Hitler actually

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Mclenarr

I remember reading once in these things called weekly music papers that the secret service or whatever they're called paid a visit to Morrissey because of the lyrics to Margaret on the guillotine. Does anyone know anything about this.
And if it's true what could the powers that be do about it. It was a free country back then (ho-ho!). Could he have been prosecuted for something and if so why didn't they do it and if it wasn't a crime why the hell were they even 'talking' to him.
I remember thinking at the time that would it have mattered if someone else sang that song and wrote it, of course, or did they get spooked (npi) because Moz is so much more idolised than...well, most of the human race!! Did this make them think he had so much power that he could encourage a demented fan, either ad or inadvertently to 'do something'?

incitement of another to commit a crime possibly! maybe they thought the impressionable teenagers were up to something when they were queuing outside the local hardware stores asking for guillotines

He was also visited by the american authorities about some anti-Bush comments he made, but you would have to find out more about that.

covered this "visit" in He knows i'd love to see him iirc.

Oh, my name still conjures up deadly deeds
And a bad taste in the mouth
And the police - they actually know me
They said :

"You're just another person in the world
You're just another fool with radical views
You're just another who has maddening views
You want to turn it on its head
By staying in bed !"

I said : "I know I do"

covered this "visit" in He knows i'd love to see him iirc.

Oh, my name still conjures up deadly deeds
And a bad taste in the mouth
And the police - they actually know me
They said :

"You're just another person in the world
You're just another fool with radical views
You're just another who has maddening views
You want to turn it on its head
By staying in bed !"

I said : "I know I do"

I'd just presumed that song was about Johny. Interesting!

He was actually 'questioned' for comments he made in an interview at the time, he said he wanted Thatcher dead. The interviewer also asked what he would do if a Smiths fan actually killed her, he replied that he would obviously marry that person. I think I have the interview somewhere.

He was actually 'questioned' for comments he made in an interview at the time, he said he wanted Thatcher dead. The interviewer also asked what he would do if a Smiths fan actually killed her, he replied that he would obviously marry that person. I think I have the interview somewhere.

no way! find it please :pray:

no way! find it please :pray:

There's a brief reference to it here, this is on Wikipedia.

Political leaders

Morrissey has always been politically outspoken, and the figures he has criticised include Oliver Cromwell, the British Royal Family, former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Margaret Thatcher, former Prime Minister Tony Blair, and former President of the United States George W. Bush. He has criticised both the two main political parties of the United Kingdom, the Labour Party and the Conservative Party.

In a 1984 interview, Morrissey criticised the then Conservative Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher, stating that "She is only one person. She can be destroyed. It is the only remedy for this country at the moment." Morrissey's first solo album, Viva Hate, included a track entitled "Margaret on the Guillotine", a tongue-in-cheek jab at Thatcher, which referred to her being executed on a guillotine. British police responded by searching Morrissey's home and carrying out an official investigation, while Simon Reynolds, who had interviewed Morrissey for Melody Maker, was questioned about the tone in which Morrissey had made certain remarks about Thatcher. It has been said that many of the officers were embarrassed about the absurdity of the situation, some even asking for Morrissey's autograph.[48]

Here's some more, you can find this here http://foreverill.com/interviews/1984/misery.htm - but for those that can't be bothered, here's a section of it.

Anyway, Morrissey clearly intends to use his position now he's got it, even if it does mean damaging his future platinum potential, and I can only feel admiration for such undaunted tenacity and gall. Naturally he remains unrepentant, even in the aftermath of the Brighton bombing.
"The sorrow of the Brighton bombing," he says coolly, "is that she (Thatcher) escaped unscathed. The sorrow is that she's still alive. But I feel relatively happy about it. I think that for once the IRA were accurate in selecting their targets."

Back
Top Bottom