Plymouth - Pavilions (June 30, 2011) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in. Beware of anonymous set list trolls!

Set List:

I Want The One I Can't Have / You're The One For Me, Fatty / You Have Killed Me / Shoplifters Of The World Unite / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / Irish Blood, English Heart / Meat is Murder / Everyday Is Like Sunday / There Is A Light That Never Goes Out / Action Is My Middle Name / Alma Matters / Speedway (abandoned) / People Are The Same Everywhere / One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell / Satellite Of Love / I Know It's Over / First Of The Gang To Die // This Charming Man

set list provided by mozzalini999

Meat banned from Plymouth Pavilions after request by Morrissey - Plymouth Herald

Last edited:
Great gig last night, my personal favourites were.. I Want The One, Ouija board was excellent and I found Moz's vocals/emotion put into I Know It's Over to be superb. To be tedious, I would say the show seemed a bit industrious, I.e. Ripping through the set as if a rush and a push to get done and out quick and I would've liked to have seen some banter with the audience. Having said that, venue was good and got to see him close up, almost a hand touch. When I look at the set list, it does appear as a Best Hits or a farewell - I sincerely hope not.

I'm writing an article and need your help please! Anyone who went to the Plymouth Morrissey show last night (or any of Morrissey's latest dates for that matter) and would like to talk to me about your experiences of Mozza's music, his solo career and of course The Smiths - please leave me your email address so that I can contact you. I hope to hear from you - thanks a lot.

The most prefunctory performance I've ever seen by Morrissey (this is going right back to 1983). He seemed down, and more self-absorbed than normal. The first song was great, very lively performance and then it all seemed to turn into a parade that he wanted to rush to the end of. And when he got to the encore, with the end in sight, he perked up again. Virtually no speech between songs, vitriolic ad-libbing in Meat Is Murder, abandoning of Speedway because he missed his cue... Plus the sound was pretty poor. All that said, it was enjoyable enough. He remains a fascinating performer - up or down or whatever.

Firstly great review romeogirl many thanks
I agree with everyone who has mentioned the sound issues, it wasn't great, but having been to many gig's at the Pavillions I knew this was the case It seems it just isn't set up correctly and never has been but I don't think it ruined any of the set, even if it was a bit ropey it surely can't warrant you leaving a gig halfway through, if you want to hear studio sound quality then stay at home and listen to your cd's :mad: It's all about the live atmosphere joining in the songs and seeing the performer in the flesh, talking of which I was hoping to get a little more shirt for my collection but there comes a time in any performers career it's time to leave the shirt on !(Are you reading this Iggy ?) I too felt was a little bit "a rush & a push and the gig is over" and would have liked a little more crowd interaction that said it was a great set, the new songs are something to look forward to I hope to see Mozzer again very soon But not at the Pavilions !

The most prefunctory performance I've ever seen by Morrissey (this is going right back to 1983). He seemed down, and more self-absorbed than normal....Virtually no speech between songs, vitriolic ad-libbing in Meat Is Murder, abandoning of Speedway because he missed his cue... He remains a fascinating performer - up or down or whatever.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Moz is the Judy Garland de nos jours. Like JG, he always works better in small venues where there's a better connection with the audience; in terms of performance, "illness cancellations" and abandoning songs and gigs, he's nowhere near as unreliable as JG (but hey, there's still time!); and there's always a very real sense that he's "singing his life" as she always did. JG fiercely divided opinion - detractors and frequently disappointed fans alike calling her a self-absorbed, self-indulgent diva whose finest work was behind her, and yet her concerts (which she was still giving until only a few weeks before she died) always sold out in minutes; sounds familiar? JG was lauded by many of her peers for conveying her emotions and state of mind through her singing, rather than adopting the slick, detached approach of many of her contemporaries. I've always felt that Morrissey is exactly the same: I've seen Bowie many times, but that cool, calculated "same every night" artfulness simply doesn't engage in the same way that Morrissey's more "real" unpredictability does. Listen to bootlegs of JG and hear her mood alter dramatically from show to show - sometimes playful, chatty, funny, romantic, and at other times terse, perfunctory, even aggressive. Sinatra and Tony Bennett both referred to JG as "the world's greatest entertainer"; that was then and Morrissey is now.

great gig ..morrissey was amzing; but there was a few people getting rough at the front where i was and the security guy tried to pull me over. Only being 5ft 2 i found it hard to breathe when older men were very over excited.

YOU SUCK. Let's hear your song?

but the other person isn't the singer kristeen is just because she makes music and other people don't it doesn't mean its alright to make shit music, the person wasn't claiming to be better, there not making music, she is.

"YOU SUCK" - grow up.

Firstly great review romeogirl many thanks
I agree with everyone who has mentioned the sound issues, it wasn't great, but having been to many gig's at the Pavillions I knew this was the case It seems it just isn't set up correctly and never has been but I don't think it ruined any of the set, even if it was a bit ropey it surely can't warrant you leaving a gig halfway through, if you want to hear studio sound quality then stay at home and listen to your cd's :mad: It's all about the live atmosphere joining in the songs and seeing the performer in the flesh, talking of which I was hoping to get a little more shirt for my collection but there comes a time in any performers career it's time to leave the shirt on !(Are you reading this Iggy ?) I too felt was a little bit "a rush & a push and the gig is over" and would have liked a little more crowd interaction that said it was a great set, the new songs are something to look forward to I hope to see Mozzer again very soon But not at the Pavilions !

Thanks as well, mymiddlenameisaction. I was really sorry to miss Kristeen Young. Saw her Los Angeles residency and really love the new EP she and Tony Visconti worked on. Each song is actually based on characters of iconic films from each decade of the 50/60s to the 2000s. The video for her first single is stunning, imho.

http://www.spinnermusic.co.uk/2011/06/07/kristeen-young-v-the-volcanic/

Cheers

Brilliant show last night, only my 2nd Morrissey show (the 1st being the unfortunate swindon show ) Only minus was Kristeen Young, awful wailing , didnt understand 1 word she wailed, sounded out of tune, not good, but had to smile when she said who she was, when her backdrop gave us a clue, oh well enough said:), Morrissey and the band were brilliant, so were the crowd, everyone was charming and polite, a great time was had....

So speedway wasn't finished/played why exactly? Anyone shed some more light on this? Thanks.

Touching off from Plymouth 'Rock'...
(oh hey, the ability to title our posts is gone...)

Unfortunately made it to venue a tad late.
Plymouth is beautiful. Highly recommend this for holiday.
This is whence the Pilgrims departed for the New World, nice heritage connection. Not sure if this is why it's on the tour.

Highlights for me:
The Set: This time around there are large concave sheets of what look like flattened disco balls with their core in front, about 5 placed along the back 'wall' of the stage. As "Satellite of Love" played, the light bulb figuratively and literally went on above my head... ingenious (!). During a later song spinning spiral gelled lights were reflected on these so all the audience is gently lit without the harsh glare of stage lights blaring straight at our eyes. So if we cry, it's truly for the songs this time and not the glare. Thumbs up to that. During "I Know It's Over" the core of the 'satellites' lit up with an incandescent glow, simulating candlelight, really beautiful ambience for a special song.

Set List: Missed the first few, but overall the songs sound a lot more lush-- Bravo to Gustavo for the beautiful keyboard work, Jesse for totally killing it (the good way) on the outro of "Ouija Board...", Solomon for the awwwesome riff beginning "One Day Goodbye...", Matt uses the gongs a bit more for this set of songs and it sounds great, Boz ever the maestro and coming forward a good bit to play for the audience. Favourite songs of the night: "Alma Matters" (first time I think I've seen this live), "Satellite of Love," "Action Is My Middle Name" (very seductive! Like this one very much), "People Are the Same Everywhere" (great melody on this one as well... I think the la-la's have now been filled out with lyrics? I didn't hear a string of them like on the Janice Long broadcast, unless that was for the third new song not being played?), "Everyday Is Like Sunday" (perfect for this seaside town, Thank God they forgot to shut it down).

"Meat is Murder"... I was worried how graphic the visuals would be, as I've been reading from other reviews. It was actually done very well for the message, not detracting from M singing the song, which he ad-libbed a lot of today to get his message across more personally ("... Do you care?" "Kill, eat, murder"...). I saw a few people walk out during this one, not sure if it was the song or just an early night for them. Would be sad if it was the message. Fair weather fans? Even if one doesn't agree with vegetarianism, the graphics clearly show how wrong it is for animals in the 'mass-meat industrial complex,' totally mistreated a la the cat video, being thrown about, stuffed in cages and pens, being hung alive. Definitely exposes a lack of humane-ity there. The graphics are at half-brightness, on top of the printed backdrop, and there is some text that blips across at certain points. It's not rudely bright in your face. Important to hear M out on this one, imho.

Banter:
- Intro'd the band as a cast starting with Boz, ending with Jesse (saying something like, "have I forgotten someone?" or something),
- After a song was started then stopped (looks like some think it was Speedway?), M said "Everyone makes mistakes, it's human, and to be human is to be loved." Then, "Next one" to the band.
- "I am not fat."
- "It's not what you think" before playing the encore (I was dug too deep behind the crowd to understand what this meant, so if anyone closer can explain?)
- "Ciao!!" at the end.

Merch: Great shirts "England Is Mine and It Owes Me a Living" text in the style of the Carry On quotes (different color t-shirts), other t-shirts with M's fine face (if I remember correctly it's the newer Everyday Is Like Sunday single image), tote bag, mugs, buttons, very nice poster of the bath photo from Linder Sterling (Morrissey Shot book) that's used for "The Very Best of Morrissey." Support the Moz cause... buy some merch. A lot of different stuff is being offered this time compared to before.

Roll on, Hop Farm... :guitar:

cheers,
romeogirl

great revieuw, thanks romeogirl:thumb:

troll
YHKM change "David Tseng is me, Peter Skinny i'll never be". He came on wearing a "I've done the Plymouth hoe" shirt. Boz was hammed saying he had drunk 10 pints of cider. Lou Reed was watching from the crowd!

Last edited by a moderator:
Kicked in the head three times, ribs crushed and bruised, touched intimately by strangers, quiff flattened and ears ringing. Overall, a painful but enjoyable gig. Being three from the front and directly in the centre of the stage, I was blessed with Morrissey's presence a great deal. The gig was somewhat hindered by some metal heads who decided it was a good idea to take cocaine and other substances in the audience. Security had to remove them several times, and Morrissey looked less than pleased. He refused to shake their hand when they offered and said "naughty naughty". Speedway was abandoned because Morrissey seemed to either forget his lyrics or the cue, and looked confused before saying "stop. Next one" to the band.

So speedway wasn't finished/played why exactly? Anyone shed some more light on this? Thanks.

Some body at the front called him a fat c**t during the previous song,Morrissey replied "i'm not fat".The next song was Speedway and the comment trow him.Later he said "some of us are turning nasty".Travelled from Lancs to see the show started well faded and ended well.do like the smiths songs slowed down.Think he should stop doing them. All in All 6/10

According to Boz, replying to someone on facebook, Speedway was stopped for "sound problems", not because of a crowd member. Possibly just covering Morrissey missing his cue, though.

Morrissey was amazing and beautiful last night!! Couldn't give him my letter though, so i gave it to Jesse Tobias at the end, i hope he past it on to Morrissey!!

Waited outside stage door for one and a half hours to see a glimpse of his beautifulness, it was freezing, but it was worth it as Morrissey came outside to the coach he turned and bowed to us all waiting, what a gentleman.

When we were going up the M5 we saw Morrisseys' coach, overtook it at Bridgwater as that was out turning, we beeped up and flashed at the coach and the driver flashed his lights back it was a perfect ending to a beautiful evening. When we had been behind the coach we saw a shooting star fall over the top of the coach, how romantic was that??

Thank you Morrissey for last night and all the other nights, i love you with all my heart.

DJC. XX.

Also, People Are The Same was definitely played, so the setlist here is slightly wrong.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom