POLL Predict first week sales for ‘Low in High School’

How many copies do you think LIHS will sell in its first week in the UK?

• Total voters

Maurice E Maher

First week sales aren’t the be all and end all, but they’re usually a pretty good indication of an album’s eventual commercial success especially for Steve. This is because subsequent singles rarely pick up the amount of airplay needed to send an album back up the charts (Every Day is Like Sunday and First of the Gang are the only exceptions).
The airplay for Spent the Day was pretty good but hardly anyone streamed it which (according to our trolling clowns) meant no-one liked it. The reviews (averaging around 6/10) are considerably worse than those for World Peace which averaged 8/10 (in the UK).
Our trolls are expecting worse figures than World Peace, so under 18,000 for the reason above (hardly anyone streamed the single, meaning no-one liked it). Couple that with the decidedly mixed reviews and this could well be true.
So, predictions for the first week sales (in UK) please.

Assuming Mporium's sales are calculated in with indie record shop sales & HMV's - the people buying all the multiple coloured vinyl bundles will probably help it out a bit (I'm not sure how presales factor in to the 'charts' though).
I'd put it above The Smiths RSD sales and just within the more than WPINOYB figures range - assuming BMG market & sell better than Harvest.
Regards,
FWD.

Yeah a bit more than world peace. I don’t know how much critical review hurts a record especially someone like morrissey who’s already got a long history. If it were a new band I’d not heard of getting so so reviews I might not check them out but people already have an interest in Morrissey and in the age of easy instant access I’d say those who were gonna try it out will do so anyway and judge for themselves. I say a bit more than world peace because I think spent the day in bed generated at large more interest than any of world peace’s singles

Yes, Spent was a great radio success, although maybe released a little bit too early. And with 2,5 million streams his most succesfull song in a decade. Lonely and Jacky have, by contrast, been neglected radiowise and only a 10th of the Spent-streams.
Anyway, I’m predicting 20-30 k and a nr 2 album.

Yes, Spent was a great radio success, although maybe released a little bit too early. And with 2,5 million streams his most succesfull song in a decade. Lonely and Jacky have, by contrast, been neglected radiowise and only a 10th of the Spent-streams.
Anyway, I’m predicting 20-30 k and a nr 2 album.

Agreed but neither were simply as catchy as stdib. It could have had no words and I’d still be humming it. What made me think people liked the song was that the lyric video hit over a million on YouTube and then the video hit and surpassed it in a short amount of time. People were still paying attention

good or not, there is a lot of attention on the album and i think people will be intrigued... high sales

for a two to three week period spent was everywhere,even heard it in tesco.i think the cover alone will make people sit up and take notice,remember people buy with their eyes,everything is visual these days even music.i predict good sales for the album,even pre orders must be a few thousand or more.

More than WP, BMG seem to be doing a good job so far.

It's a nice idea that BMG are doing well, and in many respects they are, but the fate of the album is pretty much out of their hands. They put a proper video together this time and made one song the obvious first single which, admittedly, Harvest didn't do.
But an album's success is more or less decided in meetings on Tuesday mornings at radio stations across the land, particularly Radio 2 (the country's most popular).
When they discussed Istanbul at the meeting back in 2014 they decided it was OK but not great and put it on the C List for a few spins per week. World Peace went on to sell the fewest copies of any Morrissey album since the 90s despite glowing reviews.
When they discussed Spent the Day at the playlist meeting, they decided it was deserving of their fullest support. The A list for a month and one of their 3 most played songs ensuring millions would get to hear it.
When 'Jacky...' was played at the meeting a couple of weeks ago, they decided not to add it to a playlist at all. Why? Didn't like the song? Sick of Morrissey? Too soon after Spent? Hard to say. I've still not heard the album properly but it sounds like Open Your Legs and All the Young People are the two best contenders for future singles but there's no guarantee the radio stations will play them.

It's sold 20, 407 so far this week.
Oh interesting, thanks. So it's already outsold World Peace despite our idiotic f***wit trolls telling everyone it wouldn't, and that no-one liked the lead single because it wasn't being streamed (well done guys!).
Shows the power of airplay, really, as the reviews have been quite a lot worse than World Peace's (which were generally glowing). It won't get beyond 30,000 this week but it may pass 25K.

Top 5 as at today are:

1 Paloma Faith - The Architect * [24,160]
2 Morrissey - Low In High School * [20,407]
3 Tokio Myers - Our Generation * [19,102]
4 Sam Smith - The Thrill Of It All [16,632]
5 Jeff Lynne's ELO - Wembley Or Bust * [13,596]

I'd say that's a positive result!

Back
Top Bottom