Post Millennial: "Morrissey: How did the ultimate anti-establishment artist make it against all odds?" by Fiona Dodwell (October 17, 2020)

"We have become acclimatized to safe public figures who brand themselves as a commodity like a soft drink, palatable at first but devoid of any substantial nourishment."

FWD.

UPDATE Oct. 18:

Posted by Nerak:

It's now linked on Central.

With a Linder photo.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
No - that's not what he's said. He thinks life has become generic because of pop culture & recently he's started to worry about the law not being evenly applied & religious conflict. So - basically that we need common ground to function & that every place should have its own vibe... it's nothing that's not talked about on the left.

Which is just a load of woolly cobblers, whether yours or Morrissey's or both. How do you reconcile "religious conflict", "common ground" and "every place should have its own vibe"? Who decides the boundaries of the place? Who decides the vibe? What common ground is reached with those who are not interested in compromise? All identities are ultimately territorial. I can accept Morrissey making that assertion, I can't accept an attempt to assert that you can eat your cake and have it.

He's just like Cheeto-in-Chief Donald in that way. Reminds me quite a bit of that guy, actually. Praised and admired by supporters for being "outspoken" and for "telling it like it is." Always "misquoted," everyone's always "out to get him," the press is "unfair," credible reporting on anything the least bit critical is "fake news," everything is always someone else's fault, supports a far-right agenda... It's getting hard to tell the two apart.
Though you wish it otherwise, there are no prizes here, or in life, for telling it like it isn’t. We’re here to enjoy Morrissey, not support you in your discontent and confusion. If this hurts stay away.

If he's against brainwashing maybe he should try thinking.

I think I've demonstrated that far more than you have, Apologist Extraordinaire Nerdak.

And who says I'm a "he?" There ya go again, not thinkin'!

Last edited:
Though you wish it otherwise, there are no prizes here, or in life, for telling it like it isn’t. We’re here to enjoy Morrissey, not support you in your discontent and confusion. If this hurts stay away.

Glaring omission, Hovis: you're also here to make excuses for every ignorant thing Morrissey says and defend him to the bitter end. Which is you're right. 🤷‍♂️ Doesn't make you right, though.

And for the umpteenth time: I do enjoy Morrissey's music -- and I adore The Smiths. I'm just not under the delusion that to be a "real fan" I need to fawn over every shit Morrissey takes.

You're on some other level/radicalized Ultra Orthodox Morrissey fandom, and it ain't healthy.

Glaring omission, Hovis: you're also here to make excuses for every ignorant thing Morrissey says and defend him to the bitter end. Which is you're right. 🤷‍♂️ Doesn't make you right, though.

And for the umpteenth time: I do enjoy Morrissey's music -- and I adore The Smiths. I'm just not under the delusion that to be a "real fan" I need to fawn over every shit Morrissey takes.

You're on some other level/radicalized Ultra Orthodox Morrissey fandom, and it ain't healthy.
Well, we’re a tolerant lot and we only ask for some reciprocation.

You're seemingly literate and illiterate at the same time. Nothing I wrote suggested that "art should present a sterilized vision of reality to the world." You're making baseless and nonsensical interpretations.

Explain how my "love the art, don't love the artist" view "...unproblematically conflates message and messenger?" I'm saying the exact opposite. Good lord... get yourself enrolled in a critical thinking course, please.
Love the art and artist because if anybody thinks you can separate Morrissey from his music you have missed the point from the start. The folk who say I listen to The Smiths but not Morrissey...what the hell kind of statement is that? Morrissey sings The Smiths songs and wrote the lyrics FFS!!!

And what do you say to the Asians, be they Chinese or Bengali, who take offense to Morrissey's statements & lyrics, and who feel hurt by them? I suppose you invalidate their feelings and tell them they're all wrong? That they simply don't understand the profundity of Morrissey? 🖕
I'd say to them if you don't like him don't look at him and stop being offended by nothing. To quote the man himself "....and don't get your knickers in a twist...aaahhh!!!"

Which is just a load of woolly cobblers, whether yours or Morrissey's or both. How do you reconcile "religious conflict", "common ground" and "every place should have its own vibe"? Who decides the boundaries of the place? Who decides the vibe? What common ground is reached with those who are not interested in compromise? All identities are ultimately territorial. I can accept Morrissey making that assertion, I can't accept an attempt to assert that you can eat your cake and have it.

It's not remotely woolly.

We have laws.

We have parliaments, constituencies & councils.

We have tourist & marketing boards.

We have businesses.

We have media outlets.

Everything you're exposed to has been curated & financed.

Closing local libraries is a choice.

Shopping Centres are a choice.

Badly policing crime in economically deprived areas is a choice.

Made by people with power & resources & imposed on anyone without.

The vibe has been decided - & it's making local activity (by anyone - Morrissey grew up in a tight-knit Irish Catholic community in Manchester, but they still had Granada Television & Factory Records) difficult in favour of multinationals & major cities. And when the affects are too obvious, they open a media hub & food banks.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not remotely woolly.

We have laws.

We have parliaments, constituencies & councils.

We have tourist & marketing boards.

We have businesses.

We have media outlets.

Everything you're exposed to has been curated & financed.

Closing local libraries is a choice.

Shopping Centres are a choice.

Badly policing crime in economically deprived areas is a choice.

Made by people with power & resources & imposed on anyone without.

The vibe has been decided - & it's making local activity (by anyone - Morrissey grew up in a tight-knit Irish Catholic community in Manchester, but they still had Granada & Factory Records) difficult in favour of multinationals & major cities. And when the affects are too obvious, they open a media hub & food banks.

Fine, with regard to his views on law not being applied evenly/fairly but what's all that got to do with his views on national identity and religion?

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom