prayers for Morrissey thread

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so we are never going to ban anonymous post, but could we please consider not allowing them to start threads, it may cut down this sort of nonsense.

Prayers don't work. Forget it. You may ask well invoke the intervention of the Flying Teapot.

P.
That's all fine and good, and I agree with you. I have enough tact to keep it to myself and respect those who think otherwise, though.
I'm a bit old for the smug internet atheist routine, and I can tell from your avatar that I'm a lot younger than you.

That's all fine and good, and I agree with you. I have enough tact to keep it to myself and respect those who think otherwise, though.

It's like a Jehovah's Witness. Uncle Skinny KNOWS THE TRUTH AND IS HERE TO TELL YOU ALL. But you said it in a nicer way.

I'm a bit old for the smug internet atheist routine, and I can tell from your avatar that I'm a lot younger than you.

I honestly could not give a flying one. Religions - ALL religions are based on lies. And quite frankly I couldn't give a toss who I offend by saying that. None whatsoever. Religions deserve no respect at all. None. And adherents and their belief systems get none from me.

P.

I honestly could not give a flying one. Religions - ALL religions are based on lies. And quite frankly I couldn't give a toss who I offend by saying that. None whatsoever. Religions deserve no respect at all. None. And adherents and their belief systems get none from me.

P.

There is a difference between respecting people's rights to their beliefs and respecting the beliefs themselves, but you KNOW THE TRUTH like a Jehovah's Witness door to door nag. What you write isn't even scientific. You could say "to the best of my knowledge science has shown there is no benefit to prayer," but you can't just announce there is no benefit. You don't know that and you can't know that.

P.

It's got nothing to do with you being all punk rock and anti-religion — trust me, I'm with you, and I'd be willing to bet that a majority of posters who frequent here don't particularly subscribe to religion. It's about what comforts people, and if people posting good wishes of any kind for Morrissey comforts them, that's good. The opposite — telling people that what comforts them is shit — tends to rustle unnecessary feathers. No one's asking you to hold a rosary, or to even look at this thread. Yes, you have the freedom to post whatever wherever, but if you're truly a levelheaded person, why antagonize people about what comforts them? It's not going to change their belief or the way they feel. Seems rather pointless.

It's got nothing to do with you being all punk rock and anti-religion — trust me, I'm with you, and I'd be willing to bet that a majority of posters who frequent here don't particularly subscribe to religion. It's about what comforts people, and if people posting good wishes of any kind for Morrissey comforts them, that's good. The opposite — telling people that what comforts them is shit — tends to rustle unnecessary feathers. No one's asking you to hold a rosary, or to even look at this thread. Yes, you have the freedom to post whatever wherever, but if you're truly a levelheaded person, why antagonize people about what comforts them? It's not going to change their belief or the way they feel. Seems rather pointless.

You're royally missing my point. I said prayers dont work. That's fact. Read what else I posted. I said sending one's best wishes doesn't need a sky wizard. And it doesn't. I wish Moz all the best. I didn't invoke some mystery space dude to do that. I just wish people well. It's easy to do. And if someone's God or faith system is threatened by some guy on an internet forum, then they might want to get themselves a more robust faith system, because the one they have right now doesn't stand up to the merest hint of opprobrium.

Let me repeat - one does not need a sky wizard to wish someone well.

P.

That might be fine if Morrissey had just died. But I think posting a prayer thread for someone because they've had a bit of a sniffle and you've gotten a bit hysterical about it is an imposition on the world. Morrissey is generally a private person and, for sure, would have let us know he was desperately ill if he wanted us to know that. It doesn't seem to me particularly Christian, Buddhist, respectful or anything else to be hyping it up into something there's no evidence for.

another fine Solo discussion :p whether to say prayers for Moz or wish him the best or whatever :rolleyes:
its all just words :straightface: so yeah, since I am getting that he may really be ill and stuff :eek:
I am going to send him some positive energy man
rainbow-and-stars-smiley-emoticon.gif

P.
You missed my point, which is that grown men shouldn't be so damn insecure as to need to point these things out just to validate their own latent, left over sense of teenage angst and rebellion... Father Morrissey being the obvious exception.

EDIT: Either way, I suppose this wasn't the place for it. Sorry, everyone.

You missed my point, which is that grown men shouldn't be so damn insecure as to need to point these things out just to validate their own latent, left over sense of teenage angst and rebellion... Father Morrissey being the obvious exception.

EDIT: Either way, I suppose this wasn't the place for it. Sorry, everyone.

I'm incredibly secure in my rejection of fairy tales. I don't like people being fooled, hoodwinked and indoctrinated. Anyway, you're probably right, let's draw a line under this.

P.

Back
Top Bottom