prayers for Morrissey thread

That might be fine if Morrissey had just died.

Why would anyone pray for Morrissey if he was already dead?
I know religious people who pray for others even when they are completely well.

But I think posting a prayer thread for someone because they've had a bit of a sniffle and you've gotten a bit hysterical about it is an imposition on the world. Morrissey is generally a private person and, for sure, would have let us know he was desperately ill if he wanted us to know that. It doesn't seem to me particularly Christian, Buddhist, respectful or anything else to be hyping it up into something there's no evidence for.

The two parts of the bolded statement are vastly contradictory, and the second part is quite an assumption.

You're royally missing my point. I said prayers dont work. That's fact.

ACTUALLY, you're royally missing my point: they work in the sense that they help comfort the people sending the prayers. You're just being antagonistic for the sake of. This thread is not hampering or shitting on your opinion in the slightest.

Read what else I posted. I said sending one's best wishes doesn't need a sky wizard. And it doesn't. I wish Moz all the best. I didn't invoke some mystery space dude to do that. I just wish people well. It's easy to do. And if someone's God or faith system is threatened by some guy on an internet forum, then they might want to get themselves a more robust faith system, because the one they have right now doesn't stand up to the merest hint of opprobrium.

Let me repeat - one does not need a sky wizard to wish someone well.

P.

Know what else is funny? The original poster didn't even mention god. You're the one who brought religion into it. Do you smack your kids if they use the word 'pray' in your house? Can a person say, 'oh, I pray it doesn't rain today' without invoking your typical rebuke? Because it really only has to do with religion if it really f***ing bothers you. If your anti-faith system is threatened by some guy on an internet forum that you need to lash out, then you might want to get themselves a more robust anti-faith system, because the one you have right now doesn't stand up to the merest hint of the word 'prayer.'

I'm incredibly secure in my rejection of fairy tales. I don't like people being fooled, hoodwinked and indoctrinated.

This was a completely innocuous, fairly non-religious thread before you posted in it.
Religion — spirituality; two different things. You'd do well to learn that, I think.

As a pragmatist, to me, being 'wrong' or 'right' doesn't really matter. If someone holds a belief and you find it ludicrous, why should it matter? Belief in prayer, religion, God etc has helped people in the darkest of places, and helped them get on with their lives. In all honesty, no one really knows the truth, and science isn't always reliable. I am an atheist, but it's complete arrogance to believe that a belief system dissimilar to your own is false just because it isn't within your rationale.

Anyway, I hope Morrissey recovers well and takes it easy thereafter!

As a pragmatist, to me, being 'wrong' or 'right' doesn't really matter. If someone holds a belief and you find it ludicrous, why should it matter? Belief in prayer, religion, God etc has helped people in the darkest of places, and helped them get on with their lives. In all honesty, no one really knows the truth, and science isn't always reliable. I am an atheist, but it's complete arrogance to believe that a belief system dissimilar to your own is false just because it isn't within your rationale.

Anyway, I hope Morrissey recovers well and takes it easy thereafter!

It's also been the cause of more wars, death and suffering than anything else. As long as we live and let live, cave dwellers will continue to cause death and mayhem in the name of ..........? (fill in name of favourite flavour of deity)

It's also been the cause of more wars, death and suffering than anything else. As long as we live and let live, cave dwellers will continue to cause death and mayhem in the name of ..........? (fill in name of favourite flavour of deity)

Good point. Although, I believe that there are extremists is every belief system. Not just religion. So is religion really to blame?

There are many extreme feminists out there however it would be foolish to say feminism should be abolished.

Last edited:
Good point. Although, I believe that there are extremists is every belief system. Not just religion. So is religion really to blame?

There are many extreme feminists out there however it would be foolish to say feminism should be abolished.

Not an argument really is it, there's never been a feminist, gay rights, anti vivisection, or any other extremist whatever that as caused anything like the death and destruction the followers of one god has, and as a species we need to drop the idea of religion and move forward, and I do understand the nice outlook, live and let live, you light your candles I'll do mine, it's good to be nice, but apathy gets nothing done, and we really need to leave Uncleskinnys sky wizards behind us, now more than ever.

Not an argument really is it, there's never been a feminist, gay rights, anti vivisection, or any other extremist whatever that as caused anything like the death and destruction the followers of one god has, and as a species we need to drop the idea of religion and move forward, and I do understand the nice outlook, live and let live, you light your candles I'll do mine, it's good to be nice, but apathy gets nothing done, and we really need to leave Uncleskinnys sky wizards behind us, now more than ever.

Agreed. :(

The two parts of the bolded statement are vastly contradictory, and the second part is quite an assumption.

ACTUALLY, you're royally missing my point: they work in the sense that they help comfort the people sending the prayers. You're just being antagonistic for the sake of. This thread is not hampering or shitting on your opinion in the slightest.

Know what else is funny? The original poster didn't even mention god. You're the one who brought religion into it. Do you smack your kids if they use the word 'pray' in your house? Can a person say, 'oh, I pray it doesn't rain today' without invoking your typical rebuke? Because it really only has to do with religion if it really f***ing bothers you. If your anti-faith system is threatened by some guy on an internet forum that you need to lash out, then you might want to get themselves a more robust anti-faith system, because the one you have right now doesn't stand up to the merest hint of the word 'prayer.'

This was a completely innocuous, fairly non-religious thread before you posted in it.
Religion — spirituality; two different things. You'd do well to learn that, I think.

This! Yes!

Dear God - I pray that Morrissey recovers from his illness, sacks Jesse Tobias, and the near-death experience makes him forgive and reunite with Johnny Marr, Stephen Street and Alain Whyte - they all team up and produce the greatest album the world has ever heard.
Yours faithfully.
Me.

You're a f***ing car salesman. Gimme some stats or shut the f*** up.

Prayers don't work. Forget it. You may ask well invoke the intervention of the Flying Teapot.

P.

Agreed. he's either going to get better or he's not. There's no imaginary cosmic entity hovering over us waiting for our votes to come in before he decides to let him live or pull the plug.

I'm a bit old for the smug internet atheist routine, and I can tell from your avatar that I'm a lot younger than you.

I don't see why someone with atheistic views should have to worry about offending those with Christian beliefs. And I'm saying that as a member of neither camp. I don't see how what he said was smug; he just stated his belief. That prayers don't work.

The "internet" has nothing to do with it. And why is it a routine?

It's got nothing to do with you being all punk rock and anti-religion — trust me, I'm with you, and I'd be willing to bet that a majority of posters who frequent here don't particularly subscribe to religion. It's about what comforts people, and if people posting good wishes of any kind for Morrissey comforts them, that's good. The opposite — telling people that what comforts them is shit — tends to rustle unnecessary feathers. No one's asking you to hold a rosary, or to even look at this thread. Yes, you have the freedom to post whatever wherever, but if you're truly a levelheaded person, why antagonize people about what comforts them? It's not going to change their belief or the way they feel. Seems rather pointless.

This post makes some good points but if your argument is mainly that prayer comforts the one praying, then this shouldn't be called Prayers For Morrissey. So that's the first issue.

Secondly, do you know many religious types who seem comforted, or calm? I don't. Most of the ones I know are frantic, judgmental, nasty people. Just like the non-praying people. Which brings us back to Skinny's original statement...that prayer is irrelevant.

You missed my point, which is that grown men shouldn't be so damn insecure as to need to point these things out just to validate their own latent, left over sense of teenage angst and rebellion... Father Morrissey being the obvious exception.

EDIT: Either way, I suppose this wasn't the place for it. Sorry, everyone.

So if you state your opinion, you're insecure? Why is Skinny voicing his atheistic views (and you act like he lectured on the subject; his actual original post was about two sentences long) rooted in "a leftover sense of teen angst?" Do you subscribe to the idea that by adulthood, everyone should be complacent and docile and submissive and gullible? I don't.

I don't particularly like a lot of things Skinny says on here and I am not an atheist but I feel like he is being unnecessarily jumped on for basically just stating an opinion you people don't like. It's not like he's Realitybites, shoving his shit down your throat.

Someone said "pray for Morrissey." Implying prayers could save him.

He said, "Don't. It doesn't work"

Why is one opinion/statement/recommendation OK and not the other?

You're just being antagonistic for the sake of.

How was he being antagonistic? Who was he antagonizing?

Religion is based on spirituality. "Pray for rain" the way you used it as a counterpoint example of a non-religious statement is, contextually, an expression. The way the person who made this thread used the word pray was in a spiritual way, as in "pray to a God who will hear the prayer and grant the wish."

Like a genie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why doesn't Julia give us an update on his condition at TTY?

Maybe the Queen got really pissed off with that backdrop he used of her at his last gig and she had someone poison him. It's a Royal Conspiracy.

Frank-Underwood-Eye-roll-GIF.gif

As a tolerant non-believer, I find this to be a very good post, mcrickson.

I'm incredibly secure in my rejection of fairy tales. I don't like people being fooled, hoodwinked and indoctrinated. Anyway, you're probably right, let's draw a line under this.

P.

You are such a boring moron.

This thread isn't about you, no one cares what you think. Since when did you decide what "we" need. Dawkin's is your God and science is your religion. You have faith in "reason" in EXACTLY the same way that others have faith in God. Your understanding of knowledge and religion and faith and belief is retarded and your arrogance is staggering. Even a fool can see that at its very simplest there is power in positive thinking and benefits to basic human kindness. Why not just respect a practice regardless of whether it "works" or is "heard" that has given comfort to the needy for thousands of years. Be kind, if you don't believe in prayer use this thread to wish Morrissey well or alternatively don't comment at all. If you wish to discuss the power of prayer or the lack there of get your own dull yawn-some unenlightened miserable smug thread that the rest of us can avoid.

look, I know that back in "the West" or whatever you want to call it :confused::
we have been living in a highly reactionary period for a long time now :crazy:
and this means things like evolution are still under attack :eek: or some places, kids are basically pressured into praying in school :straightface:
the list goes on and on, so given that
I understand some people's knee jerk reaction to statements of well wishing that are couched in terminology which many attribute a religious dimension to
prayerjv8_zpsc5e39110.gif

however, I think that those on the side of reason, science and dare I say it? even justice
well, we can take the higher road and not care about unimportant things like whether people say
"Happy Holidays" or "Seasons Greetings" or "Merry Christmas"
or what went on in this thread, its all the same, part of an ongoing culture war where good people waste their time on the most pointless of arguments :(
because the real issues facing us as individuals or as a species just seem too daunting :tears:
worse still, I just assume that this particular Anonymous/Guest was just trolling for a response :cool:
perhaps not the one he got, but thats how this place works for many now
1smoke_zps79c1485a.gif

still, I sometimes get a chuckle out of it, though less than when the site was actually moderated, perhaps :o
what threads like this, and the many others which quickly deteriorate along similar lines, remind me of is an old, but still brilliant

Monty Python sketch
only with less funny and more pedanticness, of course

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom