Pre-Smiths Marr and Rourke, and Wolstencroft - Freak Party - Crak Therapy demo (1981) posted

modrevolve

Standard Model
The roots of the Stone Roses can be traced back to 1980..To most people they were in their mid-twenties when their self titled album was released, but in reality they were all almost 30..Good thing there was no Wikipedia back then..

And yes Andy sounds fantastic here. A little bit of Barbarisim at times.

Johnny and Ian are still friends..wonder why they never did a project together.

marred

Sounds like the mic is right on Rourke and Johnny is playing his guitar in the bathroom.

A

Anonymous

Andy's bass is spectacular on this. It really sounds like he's slapping and popping, which I didn't know he ever did.. did he ever play without a pick in the Smiths?

Loads. One of my favourite finger bass lines is 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now', which would be impossible to play with a pick. Andy does some nice double note octave chords in there as well (under the 'people who I'd much rather kick in the eye' bits), which probably a lot of casual fans miss by focusing on the guitar. Johnny is amazing, for sure, but this is one of several songs where I think Andy's bass line outshines the main guitar riff.

http://youtu.be/SPg7C3I-4bo

A

Anonymous

Lest we forget, Andy also contributed great bass parts to some of the early solo songs also (e.g., "Interesting Drug," "Such A Little Thing Makes Such A Big Difference," "November Spawned a Monster," "He Knows I'd Love To See Him").

That fretless bass on 'He Knows I'd Love To See Him' *is* amazing - but from what I've read elsewhere apparently it's played by an uncreditaed session musician called
Danny Thompson - not Andy Rourke.

Jamie

Bluff, Ardour & Assoc.
That fretless bass on 'He Knows I'd Love To See Him' *is* amazing - but from what I've read elsewhere apparently it's played by an uncreditaed session musician called
Danny Thompson - not Andy Rourke.

Tsk - you're right, per Goddard. Any road, the other ones Andy played were quite good.

celibate

Forever Ill
Andy &Mike were the rythm team, especially in the beginning with live gigs

listen to early Smiths version of ' Barbarism.....'

'and they say he's mentall'...not the one with Pete Burns singing with Morrissey...[please]

Last edited:
A

Anonymous

It sounds like early Duran Duran. I kept singing the words to Girls on Film as it played. Nice.

S

sfbjvad

Yes the bass is great, but so is the guitar. Just because the bass is a LOT higher in the mix, doesn't make it the best thing about the track.

Trending Threads

Top Bottom