Print Magazine names "World Peace..." #1 in Best Album Covers of 2014

An anonymous person writes:

Print Magazine, one of the country’s most influential publications about graphic design and visual culture has named World Peace is None of Your Business as the Best Album Cover of 2014 in their current issue.

print201412.jpg

Woah. With the clone stamp no less? I'm impressed.

Also the worst Photoshopping on a professionally released publicity campaign ever, at east they sorted it out for the actual CD sleeve, Goodish idea terrible execution.

Print Magazine, one of the country’s most influential publications about graphic design and visual culture has just lost its credibility and reputation after it named World Peace is None of Your Business as the Best Album Cover of 2014 in their current issue.
Also trending at losing all credibility at a colossal rate is Russell Braindamage, he has been labeled a hypocrite which nicely leads me to silly Steven the crooner and animal rights campaigner, did you know ! HE EATS CHEESE ! ! !
And the moral is ! Don't believe the guff, hype, spin, shysters the lot of em.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

I love how he has on a casual outfit with the converse. Wonder if he dresses like that in private?

i see this as evidence of absurdity of world we are living in - he reached number one in only category he doesn't deserve.

p.s. in spite of apparently rushed photoshop performance, graphic designers/editorial staff of 'print magazine' show their love and respect for his new album. i'm delighted that somebody noticed eminency of 'wpinoyb'.

Um, seriously? As much as I LOVE then music on the album and think the original dog photo was cute, I detest that cover.

I'm with Anonymouswithapologies on this one—someone on the Print staff loves Moz, and wanted to give him props in whatever way they could.

It seems they liked the concept behind the image mostly and didn't notice (or chose to ignore) the crap retouching job.

Print is a great publication and the fact that their editors still care about the artistry of album covers even when the music industry itself stopped caring ages ago, speaks volumes.

Oh, btw I still say f*** Harvest.

I like the album cover. Funny how the bitchy comments posted by so-called fans don't seem to matter, since journalists like Douglas Wolk can see good quality art anyway.

I love how he has on a casual outfit with the converse. Wonder if he dresses like that in private?

It seems they liked the concept behind the image mostly and didn't notice (or chose to ignore) the crap retouching job.

Print is a great publication and the fact that their editors still care about the artistry of album covers even when the music industry itself stopped caring ages ago, speaks volumes.

Fair enough, but I don't actually think the cover design, as executed (and execution matters!), manages to accomplish the things the author is claiming it does. Beyond the clone-stamping issue, I really have a problem with the hand-drawn "stereo" icon and Harvest logo (either hand-draw it or choose a vintage style, not both), the off-centered, washed-out lettering, the obviously silhouetted photo, the flatness of the whole thing…the problems with it are so distracting that I can't even see the concept that is supposedly there. (And don't get me started on that awful "typewriter" font used on the inside—and with a f***ing drop shadow on the LP gatefold…ugh.)

Also, it wasn't actually done in-house at Harvest, was it? The sleeve credits 344 Design.

Put in context with Morrissey's long history of beautifully-designed, iconic sleeves, it really sticks out like a sore thumb to me. I really hope he decides to go back to hands-on involvement with his cover designs again in the future.

I like the album cover. Funny how the bitchy comments posted by so-called fans don't seem to matter, since journalists like Douglas Wolk can see good quality art anyway.

Unless I'm confusing him with someone else, Douglas Wolk is a music critic—not a designer, design writer, or design authority. That doesn't make his opinion less valuable than anyone else's, but it doesn't grant him some kind of elevated status in terms of his opinion about graphic design, regardless of industry.

There's nothing wrong with him or you liking the cover, of course, but from the standpoint of this designer/design writer, it doesn't deserve accolades. I don't think saying that makes me "bitchy" or a somehow not a fan. It means I'm just another critic who can't keep her trap shut. Also, I've chosen to blame Harvest for the cover, because f*** Harvest.

Fortunately, the music on the record is phenomenal—and that matters to me much, much more.

I remember thinking, "No. This isn't going to be the cover..." But, it's grown on me and I like it now. Whatever.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom