Print Magazine names "World Peace..." #1 in Best Album Covers of 2014

An anonymous person writes:

Print Magazine, one of the country’s most influential publications about graphic design and visual culture has named World Peace is None of Your Business as the Best Album Cover of 2014 in their current issue.

print201412.jpg

I thought they were track pants or am I seeing something?

Maybe. Whatever they are, I like the look. Very sexy, imo. And I really like this cover. The retro, subdued colors are pleasing. I guess the Photoshop job is bad but I really didn't notice it until it was pointed out by others.

It seems they liked the concept behind the image mostly and didn't notice (or chose to ignore) the crap retouching job.

Print is a great publication and the fact that their editors still care about the artistry of album covers even when the music industry itself stopped caring ages ago, speaks volumes.

Oh, btw I still say f*** Harvest.

Of course you do

All together now . . . . . . . . . .Put your hand in the fire ! Simple Simon says
f*** Harvest ! . . . . . . . . . Simple Simon says
Go and graffiti your town . . . . . . .Simple Simon says
( BIG ENDING)
Buuuuuuuuut it's okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
2222222222222222222222222222222222222222222eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaat
Chhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssse !
( happy holidays blokes. Now go do the math)

Benny-the-British-Butcher

What a bullshit article. They've probably only seen the Swans album on the internet, since the physical copy has a cardboard sleeve that certainly is not 'metallicgold'.

Fair enough, but I don't actually think the cover design, as executed (and execution matters!), manages to accomplish the things the author is claiming it does. Beyond the clone-stamping issue, I really have a problem with the hand-drawn "stereo" icon and Harvest logo (either hand-draw it or choose a vintage style, not both), the off-centered, washed-out lettering, the obviously silhouetted photo, the flatness of the whole thing…the problems with it are so distracting that I can't even see the concept that is supposedly there. (And don't get me started on that awful "typewriter" font used on the inside—and with a f***ing drop shadow on the LP gatefold…ugh.)

Also, it wasn't actually done in-house at Harvest, was it? The sleeve credits 344 Design.

Put in context with Morrissey's long history of beautifully-designed, iconic sleeves, it really sticks out like a sore thumb to me. I really hope he decides to go back to hands-on involvement with his cover designs again in the future.

I think the last time he got involved with an album cover was that Smiths collection from Rhino. Remember that stinker with the man and his car? What that photo ever said about the Smiths was anyone's guess.

Back to WPINOYB, do you know if it was ever confirmed whether it was Morrissey's handwriting used as the graffiti title?

The Vauxhall cover fit the album, I think. It's dreamy and subdued.

I think the last time he got involved with an album cover was that Smiths collection from Rhino. Remember that stinker with the man and his car? What that photo ever said about the Smiths was anyone's guess.

Yeah, for whatever reason, Morrissey seems to have not made a great transition art direction-wise in the digital age. I should have been more specific about what I meant by "hands-on": I meant it literally.

Back to WPINOYB, do you know if it was ever confirmed whether it was Morrissey's handwriting used as the graffiti title?

It doesn't look like his handwriting to me, but I don't know. Wasn't there a photo posted by the studio at some point showing that the title was actually painted on an exterior wall? Up to that point I'd assumed it was added in Photoshop.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom