Pushing Ahead Of Moz?

Mr Reynolds

I recently discovered the brilliant 'Pushing Ahead Of The Dame' blog by Chris O'Leary http://bowiesongs.wordpress.com/about/. Is there an equivalent study of Moz song by song that anyone knows of? If there isn't one has any cultural study bods thought of firing one up? :guitar:

I think the Chris O'Leary blog brings far greater insight to Bowie than Goddard manages with Moz. Goddard is much more nuts and bolts, good with the facts, but can (in my mind) misinterpret song and miss the obvious. I've followed Pushing Ahead of the Dame for quite some time and it has transformed my opinion of many Bowie songs and even entire albums in a similar way to Revolution In The Head with The Beatles.

I think the Chris O'Leary blog brings far greater insight to Bowie than Goddard manages with Moz. Goddard is much more nuts and bolts, good with the facts, but can (in my mind) misinterpret song and miss the obvious. I've followed Pushing Ahead of the Dame for quite some time and it has transformed my opinion of many Bowie songs and even entire albums in a similar way to Revolution In The Head with The Beatles.

Yes absolutely I agree Orson. I dream of an interactive blog with discussion and contribution in depth like Chris's Bowie project allows.

You see, the thing with art, for me, it's all about the 'nuts and bolts' because interpretation is subjective and personal. I sometimes get irritated reading about other people's interpretations as they often are quite different to mine.

Having said that, I haven't read the blog in question, so it's still possible I would enjoy it. I bookmarked it and will check it out later.

Funny coincidence, just a few hours ago I found myself singing 'Kooks' (I heard it in a film last night) and made a mental note to search the internet for the best Bowie biography 'cause I'm in the mood for something like that right now. But I want one that's more about the music, less about the private life. Private life in small doses is fine when it informs about the musical directions and career moves. I just don't want too much of the gossipy stuff. And to be honest I don't care much for Bowie post-1984 so I wouldn't mind if the best biography was 20-25 years old as it would still cover the years that I'm interested in.

Stephane

You see, the thing with art, for me, it's all about the 'nuts and bolts' because interpretation is subjective and personal. I sometimes get irritated reading about other people's interpretations as they often are quite different to mine.

Having said that, I haven't read the blog in question, so it's still possible I would enjoy it. I bookmarked it and will check it out later.

I do heartily recommend the blog. I was a casual Bowie admirer - didn't listen much past Diamond Dogs - but this has given me a deeper appreciation of the later work particularly. I do think Goddard is a decent journo, but the Bowie analysis goes much further into the music, the context, what was happening in the studio, etc, with the bonus of links to demos and alternate versions. Some of the entries on key songs are breathtaking mini-critical essays. Mozipedia brought up some interesting factual nuggets, but this made me totally, ahem, reevaluate the songs of Bowie.

the Bowie analysis goes much further into the music, the context, what was happening in the studio, etc, with the bonus of links to demos and alternate versions. Some of the entries on key songs are breathtaking mini-critical essays. Mozipedia brought up some interesting factual nuggets...

This sounds like you haven't read "Songs That Saved Your Life". It's not like Mozipedia. It talks about the context, what was happening in the studio, alternate takes, etc.

Stephane

How about Goddard's books? They're both bibles to me. The old testament and the new.

Stephane

No shit? Same with me

which one is old and new testament to you? I'm going to say old is STSYL and new is Mozipedia

since you're heralded as a diehard Moz fan, do you know if there is any truth to the rumour that both of these books will be re-released this year in updated form?

Back
Top Bottom