Query About Boz

Young And Alive

I've heard that his official role in the Moz camp since 1991 is "musical director". I take it this means that during live shows and in the studio he decides what musicians play what.

Also, he plays rhythm guitar for Moz. I find it strange therefore that he lets others (i.e. Alain and Jesse) play the lead guitar parts on songs that he wrote the musical portion for.

Take "The More You Ignore Me,..." for example. Boz wrote that song, so of course it was him who came up with that glorious guitar riff. Surely then you'd think it would be him who played it in Moz shows?

It must be strange when Moz decides to use a tune Alain or Jesse have come up with, and they then have to ask Boz how he wants them to play it.

I'm not very musically minded as you can probably tell, but I would have thought that whoever wrote each Morrissey song would decide who gets to play each part, i.e. Jesse is musical director for songs he wrote and Boz for his.

The job of a musical director is more about arranging the music, i.e. which instrument parts go where rather than the setlists.

As far as i know morrissey chooses the setlists

in his own words

What exactly are the duties of „Musical Director”?

Arrange the songs so they sound good live, lead the sound check at shows sort out troubles with the sound , rehearse tuff spots in songs... generally oversee all the music and players.

I see.

If I had came up with the riff on The More You Ignore Me, I wouldn't let anyone else get their hands on it!

Just goes to show what a gent Boz is I suppose!!

I'm sure he doesn't just issue orders, he doesn't seem like that sort of person. It's probably a team effort with Boz as the leader.

Anyone thought that the reason Boz doesn't play lead guitar much is because he needs to concentrate on other things during the show? Like how the sound is for example.

in his own words

What exactly are the duties of „Musical Director”?

Arrange the songs so they sound good live, lead the sound check at shows sort out troubles with the sound , rehearse tuff spots in songs... generally oversee all the music and players.

I wonder if Morrissey was satisfied during the 2004 tour when they
played 'the headmasters ritual'...till today havent found a gig where it
comes close to Johnny's live versions
It must have been a sorta guitar or sound, that Marr particulary used
for the ritual, though i've seen unknown persons on youtube doing a
better job than Jesse&Boz in 2004 [I'll count out that few Alain/little Barrie
gigs]

Back
Top Bottom