Question

wolve

the sad punk
Does anybody have information if the members of Morrissey's band are vegetarians too?

They are all cannibals. Boz Boorer's hero is Peter Curten.

I do know that they tour as a 'vegetarian unit' - because that's what Morrissey says in an interview with Dan Matthews. So, the carnivores in the band are out of luck with their employer :)

" I think it’s just so possible to be influential—also, when you’re a touring unit, and you tour as much as I do, and you tour as a vegetarian unit, and you make it known. You hear so many stories now of groups who tour as vegetarian units, and it’s absolutely fantastic. It’s great to be saying “no, no, no” to all these old stale industries. And you arrive at hotels like this, and you book 20 rooms, and all these rooms are vegetarian rooms, and you’re making it known all the time that [in] this large touring party, … nobody is interested in your stale, old silly menus. So it is effective. It really is effective."

http://www.peta2.com/OUTTHERE/o-shakemoz.asp

I know Morrissey's vegetarianism rubs off onto two of his band mates in The Smiths, if I'm correct it was Andry Rourke and Mike Joyce, I'm not sure about Marr though.

I'd imagine spending so much time with Morrissey his band mates and peers would naturally over time become accustom to vegetarianism and end up converting.

Johnny Marr is definitely vegetarian.

There you go then, that's all three Smiths members, I'd imagine Boz and Alain Whyte are too.

I sincerely doubt that Boz is because on his myspace site he says he loves Japan because of the food. If you're not a fish-freak then that statement would be impossible.

I read an interview with Boz (sorry, I don't remember anything but what I'm going to type right now) where he said that when on tour, the band doesn't eat meat even if Moz is not around. He said to him it's got something to do with respect and all that. So Boz definitely eats meat... but I love him nevertheless.

I recently read somewhere in an old Smiths interview that the members of the group should be careful of not being photographed while eating meat because Moz told the press they are all vegetarians. So I wouldn't be suprised if Johnny Marr, Andry Rourke and Mike Joyce aren't really vegetarians.

And now, the "new" members (Gary and co.).... I don't know if they're vegetarians or not. Never read anything about it...

I saw Gary Day in MacDonalds down the road from the G-Mex on the fri 22nd gig...swear on my mother's life! He did look around quite shiftily before going to the corner and scoffing his face with a burger an all the extras.. It was about 5.40pm.

Johnny Marr is definitely a vegetarian. He makes a point of saying it in interviews. In fact from what he's said he's practically a vegan. He doesn't eat any dairy products either. He used to eat fish when he was in the Smiths though.

Neither does he drink alcohol or touch tea or coffee.

Joyce and Rourke are no longer vegetarians from what they've said in interviews.

I remember reading in an Andy Rourke interview that while the band was on tour they didn’t eat meat. Having an album called ‘Meat is Murder’ and being seen or photographed eating meat wouldn’t look very good. Although he also said that he used to sneak out for a burger every now and again.

I also remember reading somewhere that Alain had been a vegetarian since 1991, Morrissey’s influence I presume

I’m not sure about other band members.

Back
Top Bottom