Quicksand cover of "How Soon Is Now"

motorways

Hello friends. this is my first post. long time listener first time caller. i guess. please take it easy on me
i really don't have much to offer that most of you wouldn't already have. though, i have never seen this cover here. and i believe it is brilliant.

this is a b-side from the record "slip" released in 1993 by polydor. vocalist/songwriter walter schreifels, before quicksand, was in a few ground breaking hardcore bands: youth of today, gorilla biscuits. post quicksand: rival schools and walking concert.

Quicksand-How Soon Is Now
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DZSB7TEG

enjoy
and thanks

He was in Youth Of Today?

I have this promo cd. It's a good cover. I got around to uploading my "Everday Is Like Sunday" promo cd by The Pretenders, and was suprised to see that iTunes didn't recognize it. I can't believe I was the first person to put it on their iPod.

i saw rival schools the other day, also a band with walter schreifels (Gorilla Biscuits & youth of today, quicksand) and sammy siegler (CIV & YOT) ... they played 'how soon is now' live and i really liked it.

there's also a decent version by afghan whigs.

Vision's Stop Me If You Think... is an absolute beauty. There's plenty on The World Still Won't LIsten. If folk are having trouble spotting it, I may upload it.

Peter

i saw rival schools the other day, also a band with walter schreifels (Gorilla Biscuits & youth of today, quicksand) and sammy siegler (CIV & YOT) ... they played 'how soon is now' live and i really liked it.

there's also a decent version by afghan whigs.

is rival schools back together?
definitely walter's best stuff post quicksand

according to an official statement, they never broke up ... also at the gig (currently touring europe) walter told the audience a new album was about to be released, they played four 'new' songs and all of them came of the leaked 'unreleased' album.

Official statement:

“We never broke up or went on an official hiatus,” says front man Walter Schreifels.
“We jammed a little after touring the last record 2001’s UNITED BY FATE but then we just kind
of left it alone with an eye to coming back to it at some point….Literally in the last couple of
months we came back together, it felt right, and now we’re headed back out on the road”

good to see there are other hardcore kids on this board. unbroken, f*** yeah. one of the best HC bands ever!!!!!

also rival school fans should check walking concert (also fronted by walter)

Last edited:
according to an official statement, they never broke up ... also at the gig (currently touring europe) walter told the audience a new album was about to be released, they played four 'new' songs and all of them came of the leaked 'unreleased' album.

good to see there are other hardcore kids on this board. unbroken, f*** yeah. one of the best HC bands ever!!!!!

also rival school fans should check walking concert (also fronted by walter)

When we say Hardcore, how hardcore are we going? People look at me funny when I try to explain my favourite bands are The Smiths, Morrissey, Joanna Newson, Mortician and Nile.

Peter

i'm a nile fan. i can get into a lot of metal. ha.

i think the hardcore "into the wilde" and i are refering to is mid to late 90's straight edge/screamo/indie/nonsense. i guess. never really tried to explain it. bands on labels like revelation records, victory records, no idea, etc.

unbroken, quicksand, sleepytime trio, groundwork, indian summer, moss icon, los crudos, still life, neurosis, bloodlet, deadguy, hot water music, the hope conspiracy, converge, the dillinger escape plan, angel hair, the vss, at the drive in, barkmarket, youth of today, bold, judge, earth crisis, botch, drowningman.. i could go on forever, and i did. sorry.

am i on the right track into the wilde?

there is definitely a hidden morrissey fan base there.

i think the hardcore "into the wilde" and i are refering to is mid to late 90's straight edge/screamo/indie/nonsense. i guess. never really tried to explain it. bands on labels like revelation records, victory records, no idea, etc.

unbroken, quicksand, sleepytime trio, groundwork, indian summer, moss icon, los crudos, still life, neurosis, bloodlet, deadguy, hot water music, the hope conspiracy, converge, the dillinger escape plan, angel hair, the vss, at the drive in, barkmarket, youth of today, bold, judge, earth crisis, botch, drowningman.. i could go on forever, and i did. sorry.

I only know a few of those bands. I saw Barkmarket suporting Pixies. When I was in a hardcore band, there was one of us who was into Minor Threat, Youth Of Today. I loved the slight comedy side, like Sore Throat, The Stupids, but I also appreciated complex playing, so bands like Boltthrower I loved. We're talking early UK HC sounds. Looking back, I loved Cryptic Slaughter too.

Peter

I only know a few of those bands. I saw Barkmarket suporting Pixies. When I was in a hardcore band, there was one of us who was into Minor Threat, Youth Of Today. I loved the slight comedy side, like Sore Throat, The Stupids, but I also appreciated complex playing, so bands like Boltthrower I loved. We're talking early UK HC sounds. Looking back, I loved Cryptic Slaughter too.

Peter

i think everyone should have boltthrower in their library.
barkmarket is one of my favorites. that's so cool that you got to see them. my old band was able to work with dave sardy, of barkmarket. he mixed our record a while back. 2005.

heavily into unbroken and loads of other hardcore bands. I'm also in a hardcore band and I know a lot of people in the scene who love Moz that you wouldn't expect to.

will download this cover and give it a listen!

Edit: sadly didn't manage to get a ticket for Rival Schools, have they been good??

it's true. that's the camp i come from. if you've ever seen photos of the band unbroken it's undeniable. one of the members Steven Andrew Miller even went as "steven morrissey" in a few liner notes.

http://www.indecisionrecords.com/bands/unbroken.html

unbroken=one of the best hc bands ever. fact.

i'd like to add that all the stage dives and pile ons in hc are really just the training ground for moz shows.

This is my school...I miss the 90s

aaaaaaah fellow 90s hxc kids...

[qoute]i'd like to add that all the stage dives and pile ons in hc are really just the training ground for moz shows.[/qoute]

yea but for some reason when i do or attempt to at moz shows, it doesnt go over to well with the people around me haha

Tags
cover hsin quicksand
Back
Top Bottom